Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K-x: Why No Battery Grip?

Currently I shoot with the K200D, w/ a battery grip. I love the battery grip added to the body. For me, I prefer weight with my cameras, which the new design of the K-x I'm a little weary about. I don't want a toy camera like the D40/D60 by Nikon or Canon Rebels. What attracted me to Pentax's cameras were the build quality. However, I'm in the mindset to purchase the K-x, but I'm hesitant. Can anyone explain why you can buy in Japan a K-x w/ grip, but not in the USA? I prefer a grip on a small body. Looking @ the bottom of the K-x, it's not designed to have one which concerns me because that means there's not an coming grip addition being manufactured.

It appears I may have to do the K-7, but honestly I prefer the K-x because of price and all of the great things I keep reading about it. So does anyone know why a K-x body w/ grip is not available in the US?

12-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't even think there is a battery grip for the K-x, I don't know where you got that information where it's available only in Japan. The K-x doesn't have a grip because it's a entry-level DSLR which explains why it doesn't have WR and a magnesium alloy body either. It's a pretty dang good entry-level though, despite no WR and lots of plastic, it's still very durable. But the K2000 didn't have a grip or WR body either. With soon-to-be 3 line-ups, they decide to save the build-quality and grip availability for their mid-level K-7 and soon-to-be-announced FF. I suppose the days of good entry-level Pentax bodies are over, it's time for Pentax to take the route of making profit. I'm pretty sure with the success of the K-x, there might be third-party companies that are developing a grip for it right now.

By the way nice website, they were taken with your K200D?

Last edited by LeDave; 12-26-2009 at 07:53 PM.
12-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does not appear that Pentax designed a battery grip for the KX. They did not provide one for either the KM/2000 or the K100D. However for the K100D there was a third party grip available after a while. I would think that if the KX is a big seller as it appears to be at this time, a third party manufacturer may create one.
12-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxian210 Quote

It appears I may have to do the K-7, but honestly I prefer the K-x because of price and all of the great things I keep reading about it. So does anyone know why a K-x body w/ grip is not available in the US?
Probably because the K-x is a look for a price camera, and is not intended for or priced for a market that generally wants a battery grip.
They may also want to differentiate the K-7 from the K-x with a few feature/benefits.

12-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #5

Dicain, is a third party who made battery grip for *ist DS and K100D in the past, now (in Korea) offering new (battery) grips for recent camera / DSLRs such as Nikon D5000 and Olympus EP-1, but so far none for Pentax ..

Last edited by sajah; 12-26-2009 at 08:24 PM.
12-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Probably because the K-x is a look for a price camera, and is not intended for or priced for a market that generally wants a battery grip.
They may also want to differentiate the K-7 from the K-x with a few feature/benefits.
I agree, the Pentax K-x was designed ground up to attract newer consumers who are in the point and shoot market. With bodies so colorful, it makes every other DSLR look the same and dull. People will look at the white and red bodies and say they really want that regardless of never having the intention of buying a DSLR in the first place.

Now with attractive body, Pentax also markets it with attractive pricing. With this pricing and unique color bodies, it's harder for someone who's always wanted a DSLR but never had enough goodies to not pull the trigger. With cool new looks and great pricing, it's really hard to resist for someone new and wants a DSLR.

Now with the new people who just bought the K-x as their first DSLR, I don't think would plan to shell out money buy a grip or WR lenses, and that is why Pentax thought WR was not necessary for this entry-level. Not just that, but with no other entry-level having WR, it's not like Pentax is downgrading themselves in a way, they are matching the competitor. At the same time they are doing so, they feel like this cool colored body will attract more newbies than WR, a lot more. People still bought Canikon over Pentax despite of WR. What really works is making it pop and look cool and make people really want it, color really pops and it looks really cool. - A battery grip? I've never heard of it. Oh it's that, well I don't even need it and I've never tried it. Plus it's my first DSLR and no other DSLR looks like it! Also look at the price! I want it!

With mid-level and pro-level DSLR's not nearly marketed to the newcomers as big as entry-levels do, they would rather save all that time and money by putting WR, magnesium alloy frame, and developing a grip for their upper bodies. Rather than equipping that entry-level with all these extras here and there which these newcommers don't either know anything about or if they even give a half-ass about. - Magnesium alloy? screw it, it looks like any other DSLR. But this, it's white and it's red! Plus it shoots videos! I want it.

The K-x also makes good JPEGS with good high ISO noise levels, requiring minimal effort in post processing. Someone who is new to DSLR's may have never experienced with post processing before, and with the K-x's sensors ability to boast great images at the spot, and even at night, they don't feel like they need to shoot in RAW. Shooting in RAW and post processing may be a bit overwhelming to someone who is new to the DSLR world. - These shots out of that camera looks dull, while these shots look great out of this camera. But someone said I need to shoot in RAW and post process it, what's that?

Point is, the K-x answered every noobs dream, it's the D40 of this generation. It's going to be the biggest selling Pentax DSLR and everybody is going to see it as the baddest and they want it. When the D40 first released and it was big and it was bad, it didn't have grip availability, it didn't have WR, they just didn't care about that, they wanted it because it was cheap and they wanted a DSLR. Now with the K-x, on top of it adds extra flavor, color and video.

Last edited by LeDave; 12-26-2009 at 08:45 PM.
12-26-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Forget about an OEM grip for the K-x. Your K200D should suffice just fine for you, but the K-7 + grip will certainly not disappoint you. There is a significant leap from the K200D to the K-7 that you will certainly notice, even in high ISO results.

12-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I don't even think there is a battery grip for the K-x, I don't know where you got that information where it's available only in Japan. The K-x doesn't have a grip because it's a entry-level DSLR which explains why it doesn't have WR and a magnesium alloy body either. It's a pretty dang good entry-level though, despite no WR and lots of plastic, it's still very durable. But the K2000 didn't have a grip or WR body either. With soon-to-be 3 line-ups, they decide to save the build-quality and grip availability for their mid-level K-7 and soon-to-be-announced FF. I suppose the days of good entry-level Pentax bodies are over, it's time for Pentax to take the route of making profit. I'm pretty sure with the success of the K-x, there might be third-party companies that are developing a grip for it right now.

A good entry-level camera is what got me into Pentax to begin with. If my K10D wasn't as solid as it is, I wouldn't have bought it.

The K-7 doesn't automatically become mid-level just because Pentax releases a better camera. For $1500 it is a pretty high-end camera. If I have to spend $1500 to get the same quality/feel as in my K10D (actually the K-7 is worse), you can bet I will ditch Pentax.
12-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
A good entry-level camera is what got me into Pentax to begin with. If my K10D wasn't as solid as it is, I wouldn't have bought it.

The K-7 doesn't automatically become mid-level just because Pentax releases a better camera. For $1500 it is a pretty high-end camera. If I have to spend $1500 to get the same quality/feel as in my K10D (actually the K-7 is worse), you can bet I will ditch Pentax.
Yeah I meant the K-7 is semi-pro, but to me I see semi-pro as the same thing as mid-level which covers the K-7, 50D, D90, and D300s, etc. While entry-level refers to even both entry-levels Nikon and Canon offers which covers the D3000/XSi and D5000/T1i range. But yes the K-7 is a pretty high-end camera but the K-7 is in the semi-pro range in the first place to start off with, yes it's their flagship camera right now but even if Pentax does release a full frame or not, the K-7 will always stay in it's semi-pro/mid-range spot regardless, it won't jump down from Semi-pro or advance up from Semi-pro. It's just like how the outdated 30D is still semi-pro although it is outdated by entry-levels of this generation.

For the K10D having better build than the K-7, how does that work? The K-7 has 77 weather seals while the K10D has 72. The K-7 which has a magnesium alloy construction which the K10D doesn't. So I don't see how the K-7 is worse. Sure it's small but I'd rather carry that small thing around than a clunky big camera, if I wanted it to be bigger than I could just get a battery grip. Regardless of size, the K-7 still boasts the better build quality.
12-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Yeah I meant the K-7 is semi-pro, but to me I see semi-pro as the same thing as mid-level which covers the K-7, 50D, D90, and D300s, etc. While entry-level refers to even both entry-levels Nikon and Canon offers which covers the D3000/XSi and D5000/T1i range. But yes the K-7 is a pretty high-end camera but the K-7 is in the semi-pro range in the first place to start off with, yes it's their flagship camera right now but even if Pentax does release a full frame or not, the K-7 will always stay in it's semi-pro/mid-range spot regardless, it won't jump down from Semi-pro or advance up from Semi-pro. It's just like how the outdated 30D is still semi-pro although it is outdated by entry-levels of this generation.

For the K10D having better build than the K-7, how does that work? The K-7 has 77 weather seals while the K10D has 72. The K-7 which has a magnesium alloy construction which the K10D doesn't. So I don't see how the K-7 is worse. Sure it's small but I'd rather carry that small thing around than a clunky big camera, if I wanted it to be bigger than I could just get a battery grip. Regardless of size, the K-7 still boasts the better build quality.
I wonder if there are simply 5 more places for weather to get into the K7 than the K10D?

As far as build quality, they replaced the nice locking SD door with an el-cheapo slide-latch door and the I/O ports is now covered with a chunk of cheap rubber.

I don't see what advantage the magnesium body has over the K10D's metal chassis, either.

Perhaps the Kx is aimed at entry level Canikon cameras. To get a Canikon as solid as the K10D, I would have to have spent twice as much as I did. Pentax earned me as a customer simply by providing a far better feeling camera than the competition.

Now the K10D/K20D has essentially be replaced by the Kx, there is little to like about the Pentax brand over the other similar cameras for the new-to-DSLR users.
12-26-2009, 10:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Lol, actually what I was trying to say is the K-7's entire frame is magnesium alloy unlike the K10D which uses mostly plastic, although plastic it is reinforced and is very sturdy, but it's still not magnesium alloy. The K10D only uses a metal chassis covering around the sensor, and plastic covers around that.

And for swapping out cheap plastic with cheap rubber to cover some ports, I really don't know what else to say as this change is pretty darn minor lol, and the rubber feels pretty high quality if you ask me. Also for the SD card compartment, it's also more practical on the K-7 to slide and open especially if you need to draw out memory cards fast for an event you are shooting. This is once again a small redesign and don't see how it could possibly be that big of a deal as oppose to plastic vs magnesium alloy. Also the two changes are not "cheaper" than the old design, just a redesign for more practicality.

And the K10D was replaced by the K20D and the K20D was replaced by the K-7. So incase you were adding K10D/K20D together, it should be more like K100D/K10D and K200D/K20D. The K10D and K20D were both mid-level/semi-pro bodies and are not to be replaced by the K-x's entry-level, the K100D was replaced by the K200D and the K200D is replaced by the K-x. Yes the body on the K-x does feel cheaper than the previous ones although with a significantly improved sensor, and I don't blame you for not liking that also as I didn't like that also.
12-26-2009, 10:09 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now the K10D/K20D has essentially be replaced by the Kx, there is little to like about the Pentax brand over the other similar cameras for the new-to-DSLR users.
Do you mean that other than the K-x and its super sensor, Pentax has little to offer for the enthusiast/mid-range/pro market?

The K-7 is still a formidable force (remember it wasn't intended to replace the K20D), and is turning heads outside of the Pentax world. But I agree that Pentax do need to have a larger active portfolio of bodies available.
12-26-2009, 10:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Do you mean that other than the K-x and its super sensor, Pentax has little to offer for the enthusiast/mid-range/pro market?

The K-7 is still a formidable force (remember it wasn't intended to replace the K20D), and is turning heads outside of the Pentax world. But I agree that Pentax do need to have a larger active portfolio of bodies available.
What did replace the K20D? The K-7 is almost twice the price, and the only camera with thinner, flimsier plastic is the cheap Sony Alpha. There really should have been a K30D.

I think we can all agree that most DSLRs take a pretty damn good picture. If I was looking to buy a new DSLR today, I would likely pick up a couple of Canikons, an Olympus and a Sony to see and feel the difference between them. At first touch, the Kx has no advantage over the other bodies.

The superb build quality of the K10D is what made me further investigate Pentax. If I hadn't picked one up and immediately felt how much better it was made than the comparable Canikons, I wouldn't be a Pentax owner.

I don't have a battery grip for my K10D yet, but it is nice to know I can get a proper Pentax one for it.

LeDave, I still don't understand how the magnesium body of the K7 is superior to the plastic over steel K10D. I realize how they are constructed but don't see how the magnesium makes things any better and it is nowhere near the difference of say, plastic vs. metal lens mounts.

What I do care about are the human interface components of the camera. Button quality, access doors, etc... If these are flimsy they make the whole camera feel cheaper than it should be, magnesium body or not. And I would hardly consider the K10D's USB cover door flimsy. It is made from a solid plastic, weather-sealed and has small spring loaded ball bearing latches at the top and bottom holding it closed. When you open it, it doesn't flap back and get in the way like the rubber covers. If you want cheap, look at the battery door on Pentax flash units.
12-26-2009, 11:09 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster

You're right. The color combo was lens/body, not body/grip. Thanks for your reply and to all the others that chimed in. It gave me a good perspective on where the K-x enters the market from. There is one question though.....the K200D was the "entry" Pentax back in 2008 and it had the optional grip, so why not the K-x following suit apart from the "entry level, I don't need a grip" crowd?

BTW, thanks for the compliment on the site images----and yes they were taken w/ my K200D.
12-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The K-7 is almost twice the price, and the only camera with thinner, flimsier plastic is the cheap Sony Alpha.
Are you saying the K-7 is made of thin, flimsy plastic? If so, have you ever actually *touched* a K-7?

(And if that's not what you meant, then disregard this whole post)