Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-7, continuous shooting, EXIF data, ...

First apology for any cross-posting with DPR. The original post got very limited response, possilby because my questions were not well laid out (K-7 & continuous shooting: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review). I use quite often the continuous shooting with my older Pana FZ20 and now my Pentax K-7. I have several questions about the exact frame rate in the K-7 in continuous shooting (Hi).

The Pentax K-7 operating manual states (p. 143) that, in continuous shooting (Hi), 'pictures are taken continously at aproximately 5.2 5.2 frames per second' (fps) 'when [JPEG recorded pixels] is set to (14 Mp) and [JPEG quality] is 3 stars'.

I have done some tests with 2 modes: [K-7 RAW+ and JPEG (6 Mp)] and [JPEG (6Mp) only] with continuous shooting (Hi) and lens correction Off. I use my K-7 with firmware 1.02 and a Sandisk 16 Gb Extreme III (class 10 30 Mb/s) card. Based upon the EXIF data, I achieved about 5 fps with up to 60 shots in one sequence with [JPEG (6 Mp) only], and the length of the sequence is not an issue with this setup (up to 60 shots). In the [RAW+ JPEG (6Mp)] mode, I can take up to 10 continuous shots per sequence only.

1- The EXIF data give the date and time down to the second only and not down to the 1/100th of second. Am I correct ?

2- How do the independent reviewers (eg DPReview) measure the camera frame rate in continuous shooting (Hi) ? With what accuracy ?

3- How can I ascertain with accuracy the frame rate of my camera in continous shooting? 5 fps, 4.8 fps, 5.2 fps are not the same ...

4- In the K-7, the setup of continuous mode (Hi) requires 4 clicks: Capture Mode, Select continuous shooting, Select High, Press OK. Is there a faster method ? For example, is it possible to configure a button to switch to Continuous Shooting (Hi) Mode ?

It was suggested that the shutter sound is used to measure the frame rate from the soundclip []Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review, but the technique seems only to be an indirect one.
Regarding the 4th point, the Panasonic FZ20 has a button to switch from normal mode to continuous shooting. Why not could the K-7 be configured similarly?

I have some obvious suggestions to Pentax:
+ to lobby the JEITA to include the date & time down to 1/100th second in the EXIF, and
+ to add the option to access to continuous mode with one button only (instead of using the menu)

Thank you in advance for your input.

12-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not entirely sure about most your questions. But for being able to only take 10 continuous shots in sequence with RAW 6MP, it could be due to your memory card. Your memory card may not be fast enough to buffer all the information it's recieving that quickly. Also if you turn on any pre-PP'ing correction on your K-7, the highlights correction, chromatic aberrations correction, distortion correct, and etc. may slow it down. I remembered with my Sandisk Ultra II 4GB, the K-7 can only take about 4-5 shots in sequence with chromatic aberration and distortion correction enabled while shooting RAW DNG.
12-26-2009, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

1) Why does it matter what nanosecond you took a picture in?
2) Use a stop watch and count shutter actuations.
3) Does it really, really matter? Will you capture something at 5.2 FPS that you wouldn't at 4.8?
Don't you think this is being just a little anal retentive?
4) Leave the camera in continuous high all the time and only push the button when you want it to take a picture.

I have a couple of suggestions:
1)Don't lobby Pentax to include useless, trivial information in their EXIF.
2) Go out and take some pictures, and stop worrying about whether you have 99 angels or a hundred dancing on the head of your pin.
12-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Original Poster
LeDave, Wheatfield,
Thank you for the comments. Let me clarify a few points:
- I selected the K-7 because of its high frame rate in continuous shooting. An accurate frame rate is important in my work and I am looking for an accuracy down to 1/100th of a second.
- I use a Sandisk 16 Gb Extreme III (class 10 30 Mb/s) card, one of the fastest on the market.
- I switch off most post-processing in the K-7. I did some preliminary tests with various form of post-processing: eg, the lens correction is very restricting in continuous shooting and this was pointed in earlier threads.
- The EXIF data format is established by the Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industry Association (JEITA); any additional data listed in EXIF would have to be approved/sanctioned by JEITA.

Last edited by hcc; 12-26-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typos
12-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

DPR tested the K-7 performance, it does exactly 5.2fps.

But please note that to obtain this maximum speed, manual focus and manual metering have to be selected. In real world shooting you get much less than that, particularly in AF-C mode.
12-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

And don't think you are going to get 5 fps when your shutter speed is 10 sec. You need to have a high shutter speed. And you won't be able to get as many frames when shooting RAW+JPEG. To get the maximum number of frames in RAW, you need to shoot RAW only, not RAW+JPEG.
06-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #7

If I'm not mistaken, DPReview actually measures frame rates by placing a microphone near the camera and looking at the waveform for the mirror slap/shutter.
06-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

hcc, you can use the user mode to save your 'Hi' speed setting. Then, whenever you want to use them , simply select the USER settings from the mode dial.

Hope this helps