Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-x Sets the way For Pentax Cameras To Come !

Looks like the K-x is a major hit.

I bought a K-x just because of the sensor ... weather sealing, two dials, bla ,bla ,bla don't mean crap. It is "ALL" about the sensor.

Pentax has now got to produce cameras that at "LEAST" equal the K-x in sensor quality. No more K-7 cameras that don't compete with my K-20 after 18 Months of R&D.

Pentax has raised the bar ... looking forward to the K-7 replacement, glad I did not purchase a K-7, but bought another K-20D instead.

BTW, using K-x Video to post business products tomorrow ... fantastic, but remember, if it was not for the high quality of the sensor, I would be using a video camera and not the K-x, sensor quality FOR "STILL WORK IS OMNIPOTENT" !!!!!

wll

12-26-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I feel like this is just another K-7 bashing thread. It's really getting annoying hearing people undermining the K-7's capabilities out of proportion just because it doesn't have the high ISO output of the K-x. Sure it doesn't have that high ISO output in JPEG, but by no means is the K-7 even close to bad. Not everything is about the sensor. If everything is about the sensor, then everybody who would've bought the K10D would of bought the K100D, and everybody who bought the D300s would of bought the D5000.

Looking at your lens list, it seems like you have no problem with the money, now if everything is about the sensor then why are you still staying here with Pentax? You might as well jump ship to Canikon and get that D700 or 5DMKII if you really want that "high quality" sensor since it's "ALL" about that sensor.
12-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I feel like this is just another K-7 bashing thread. It's really getting annoying hearing people undermining the K-7's capabilities out of proportion just because it doesn't have the high ISO output of the K-x. Sure it doesn't have that high ISO output in JPEG, but by no means is the K-7 even close to bad. Not everything is about the sensor. If everything is about the sensor, then everybody who would've bought the K10D would of bought the K100D, and everybody who bought the D300s would of bought the D5000.

Looking at your lens list, it seems like you have no problem with the money, now if everything is about the sensor then why are you still staying here with Pentax? You might as well jump ship to Canikon and get that D700 or 5DMKII if you really want that "high quality" sensor since it's "ALL" about that sensor.
Dave,
I think that too: why are some people just so absurdly stuck on bashing something which they haven't got their paws and when they can't tell the story from a "user's" point of view? That's beyond me!
I am quite happy to be able to shoot at 5.2 fps with the K7 coupled with my DA*300 f4. I love the viewfinder, the faster AF and the way those "noisy" pics at high ISO can be easily tweaked WITH NO LOSS OF DETAILS, in PP, if done properly.
When, and if, a replacement (or "upgrade") of the K7 comes out with all of the bells and whistles wished for, then if you can afford it, just do it. In the meantime, if one is happy with the Kx or the K7 ... so be it.

JP
12-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax hasn't produced a disappointing camera yet IMO. With each generation, they've kept within striking distance of the rivals in terms of feature sets and performance. The K-7 is a conceptual feat of engineering that certainly has its place in the classic lineup. There will continue to be successors, but they don't render the succeeded models obsolete. Just look at the *ist D.

It's exciting to see what Pentax will come up with in the future - it's set a good precedent with the K-x, so you can bet the next entry-level and enthusiast models will be impressive as well.

12-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I feel like this is just another K-7 bashing thread. It's really getting annoying hearing people undermining the K-7's capabilities out of proportion just because it doesn't have the high ISO output of the K-x. Sure it doesn't have that high ISO output in JPEG, but by no means is the K-7 even close to bad. ...
+1 on that. The K-7 is a great camera but I guess some non-K-7 owners choose to think otherwise. :ugh:
12-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I own K-x and K20D and in my assessment, there is no way that K-x is a replacement for K20D or K-7. While K-x is surprisingly good in indoor and high iso shooting, it is not in the same semi pro class with K-7, K20D and K10D.

I am sure the OP is not meant to undermine what K-7 can do. K-x users are just happy users and perhaps we get a bit carried away in forgetting what we have bought is an entry level camera that miss a lot of semi-pro features and qualities in K-7.

We should all wish Pentax to merge the success of K-x and K-7 into the next body.

Hin
12-26-2009, 11:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
I bought a K-x just because of the sensor ... weather sealing, two dials, bla ,bla ,bla don't mean crap. It is "ALL" about the sensor.
Bullshit, 99% of most peoples shots will be at base iso. Now that I own two Kx's I think I probably should have gotten a K7 +Kx , but ill just wait now for the K8.

12-26-2009, 11:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

wll
Speak for yourself, sir. I find it extremely inconvenient all the way to point of being outright useless if the camera does not have two dials and hyper program mode. Working with the viewfinder that offers 100% coverage is again extremely convenient.

I've made few shots at ISO between 2000 and 3200 and find all these shots printable up to A4 size or may be A3 size. Though my usual range is ISO 100-400 and rarely ISO 800.

It is therefore a matter of your personal preferences that may make K-x a better camera for you. It is illogical to project your preferences onto others.
12-27-2009, 03:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Pentax has now got to produce cameras that at "LEAST" equal the K-x in sensor quality. No more K-7 cameras that don't compete with my K-20 after 18 Months of R&D.

Pentax has raised the bar ... looking forward to the K-7 replacement, glad I did not purchase a K-7, but bought another K-20D instead.

BTW, using K-x Video to post business products tomorrow ... fantastic, but remember, if it was not for the high quality of the sensor, I would be using a video camera and not the K-x, sensor quality FOR "STILL WORK IS OMNIPOTENT" !!!!!

wll
well said.

looks like another thread k7 owners will be defending their cam.

anyway kx does not provide few things like weather sealing etc which are very important for some of the users. Many people would chose k7 just for similar reasons.

hopefully pentax will give next generation of higher end cam with k7 or higher feature set with kx or better sensor.

I wouldn't be surprised if pentax is already working on such cam. Kx is selling hot for them, they should build on its success.
12-27-2009, 03:31 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Speak for yourself, sir. I find it extremely inconvenient all the way to point of being outright useless if the camera does not have two dials and hyper program mode. Working with the viewfinder that offers 100% coverage is again extremely convenient.

I've made few shots at ISO between 2000 and 3200 and find all these shots printable up to A4 size or may be A3 size. Though my usual range is ISO 100-400 and rarely ISO 800.

It is therefore a matter of your personal preferences that may make K-x a better camera for you. It is illogical to project your preferences onto others.
Exactly. I don't own either the K-7 or KX. (2 K20D's and a K10D) but if I was getting another body, it would have to have 2 dials and Hyper-program mode. Without those, I'm not interested.

But the new sensor does have me waiting to see what the next generation will bring.
12-27-2009, 03:53 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Why the High ISO obsession?

If you need realy good high iso, you got to pay for it.

People forgett that theres always other ways in photography to make good pitures.

Imagine a party indoors at night, a birthday party or just christmas eve.

One could have an FF Canon 5Dmkii with a good L lens, and then manage to get some good high iso pictures. However, that person would probably have an 580flash to, and he would certainly use it isntead of high iso and slow shutter speeds.

So, with a normal entry level camera, a kit lens, two good flashes, cactus radio triggers. Place the flashes on stands with umbrellas in each corner of the room, make som test shoots to tweak, and you're off making some great pictures of that party,

See....Dont get obsessed with High ISO performance. There's always a great solution around the corner!
12-27-2009, 04:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't really shoot in low light situations so high ISO doesn't concern me. Plus i cringe at shooting at high ISO.. even at ISO-800 - I cringe...

Anyway, since when has ISO range been a measure for "quality" of a sensor?

This thread is silly - OP was a one-sided rant that is effectively meaningless... with no room for discussion.. seems like he just wanted to jump onto a soap box and toot his own horn cause he bought a new toy that has effectively only one outstanding feature in comparison to other cameras in the Pentax family.

Before anything goes out of hand, It may be a good idea for this thread be closed since it seems to also be bait for hate.. (oh that rhymes)

But what do I know? :P

Last edited by Vylen; 12-27-2009 at 04:12 AM.
12-27-2009, 05:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
well said.

looks like another thread k7 owners will be defending their cam.

anyway kx does not provide few things like weather sealing etc which are very important for some of the users. Many people would chose k7 just for similar reasons.

hopefully pentax will give next generation of higher end cam with k7 or higher feature set with kx or better sensor.

I wouldn't be surprised if pentax is already working on such cam. Kx is selling hot for them, they should build on its success.

Why don't you just cut it out? I've read some of your posts and you just love bashing the K-7 don't you? We know you're angry that the K-7 wasn't the camera you hoped it to be and that's enough, we know and we've heard what you had to say. No need to keep on ranting about it over and over again. I may be defending not just my camera, but am also stating what's also real.

It's atrocious seeing all these posts over and over again from some people over again about the same thing. It's getting to the point where I'm not just stating what's real out of my head anymore, but instead am defending the Pentax K-7 from what appears to be a bunch of Canikon trolls who try to manipulate otherwise. I'm not saying people who keep ranting about their dislike about the K-7 are trolls, because obviously most and if not all that I've seen so far own Pentax cameras. But the thing is I feel like I'm defending against Canikon obsesses on the Pentax Forums itself.

I've seen less Pentax K-7 bashing on DPreview, CameraLabs, and other forums and these are multiple brand forums and not just exclusively to Pentax. Yes the K-7 is not the camera most high-ISO obsesses wanted, but nobody told them they have to want it or they have to upgrade to it. Sure I can just ignore these troll-like posts it if I want, but it's not that easy, it's a lot easier than just go somewhere else than just stay here and hear this crap bullshit from these group of people who obsessively talk about the "inferiority" of the K-7. It's just like some people who run around and talk crap about religion and Christianity. Nobody wants to hear about it but they just keep ranting about it and it gets annoying because nobody told them they had to be Christian and nobody told them they had to do this or that, yet at the same time they just go around and discourage and bring down the good man who has never done anything wrong. We're all Pentax users here and there's absolutely no need for that kind of "hatred". I don't understand how some people could just bash a Pentax like the K-7, bashing it as if they exclusively own a Canon of their own and some-how developed profound hatred for the K-7, and just want to talk crap about it every time someone brings it up.

We should be all helping each other out instead of dishing out crap that other people dearly love and own, as if they're trying to some-how discourage them for owning that camera. Some people act as if they owned the camera and hated it; yet instead of actually doing so and knowing what it's capabilities are, they just go around and deliberately try to dismantle what it's capable of. Sure you don't like the K-7 and saying so is enough for us to understand, but going around and just plummeting it without proper incentive isn't very bright. Like I said, we're all Pentax users and if you don't like the K-7 then you don't like it, just don't buy it, don't try to discourage others. I'm not saying that you have to be a "fanboy" and only talk nicely about it; you own a Pentax and yet you dislike on a certain camera made by Pentax in such a distinct way that it's considered hate. I'm not saying that you have to be a Canikon to hate on Pentax or the K-7; if you get what I'm trying to say, at least show some respect and respect for those who own and like the K-7.

That's all I have to say about that and am just releasing what my thoughts about this before I'm done seeing more of these bs posts; if people just want to keep on going about the K-7 being "inferior" then that's just fine, I am done listening to all this.

Last edited by LeDave; 12-27-2009 at 06:32 AM.
12-27-2009, 06:06 AM   #14

The OP has a writing style that inflammatory and childish. But I don't feel bad about my decision to buy a K20D instead of the K7 a few months ago. My sister was coming to Mexico and I had to decide which I wanted her to bring me. The K7 was just out and there wasn't much feedback on the forums. So, instead of gambling on a new model I bought the K20D for $600.

I am happy and I must say I'm looking forward with some anticipation to the next model for Pentax that has two dials, hyperprogram, and hopefully, just for me, isn't a video camera. Of course, I would like noise-free high ISO. That's hyperbole but it's still a worthy goal. So, for now, it's the K20D with my K10 as my backup.
12-27-2009, 06:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

This thread is certainly virulent! not many level heads in the middle of the night I suppose? (depending on location of course).

Wll does make some valid points. The Kx has made a large splash in the market, and I also think it is the most compelling camera they have made since the K10d (relative to its direct competitors and market segment). The k7 is a very nice upgrade to the k20, but the kx and k20 fit very well together as well.

Without bashing the K7 at all, it most definitely will be interesting to see Pentax's upcoming models, and I am sure everyone can still agree having a great entry level camera in the lineup will help with the business' bottom line, and therefore money and investment into the camera and lens divisions on all levels.