Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #1

new K7 - focus adjustement - confused

Hello Pentax community,

I own now since 2 weeks my first Pentax camera - K7 with both DA* optics: 2.8/16-50 and 2.8/50-135

During first shots wondering about unsharp pics i deteted focus mostly in back.

So i started to read forums and detected the focus adjustment tool in menu. Now have there +7 adjusted for 16-50 and +8 for the tele optics.

I made test shots with 50mm and 135mm (tele) to decide on correctur factor. I used that pdf for evaluation (http://www.traumflieger.de/desktop/fokusdetektor/fokusdetektor_ls.pdf).

Maybe some other older users can comment on same optics and their status or adjustements? I am happy about every constructive answer - as i am starting on Tuesday on short vacation - no time for service of my cam...

PS:

I also bought screen from Katzeye to add gridlines for 16:9 - so i have the chance to focus manually too.

Thanks + Best, Walter

12-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Walter
It would be useful to indicate what settings you had in the K-7. For example:
- was Lens Correction On or Off ?
- how did you set the focus area (AF point) ? Many experience users would recommend to set Center.
- was Shake Reduction (SR) On or Off ?
- if the Shake Reduction was on, did you wait for both auto-focus and SR icons to be lighted before taking your shots ? It was already discussed that that the SR icon lights on about 1 s after the AutoFocus light in the viewfinder (see another thread in PentaxForums.com - The Largest Pentax-Dedicated Photography Forum Community- Home).

I would recommend that you try with AF focus area on Centre, SR on and wait for the SR icon to switch on in the view finder (when you press hald-down the shutter release button).

I am sure that other experienced users may give you more complete advice.
12-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hello,

Test shots done so:

- without lens correction
- AF point set to center
- SR on
- shots made with flash using x 1/180sec
- several shots for each correction between 0 and +10 focus adjustement

Now I am interested if my adjustements are usual and will work during my trip?

Best, Walter
12-27-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Walter K Quote
So i started to read forums and detected the focus adjustment tool in menu. Now have there +7 adjusted for 16-50 and +8 for the tele optics.
QuoteOriginally posted by Walter K Quote
Now I am interested if my adjustements are usual and will work during my trip?
If it looks good to you, it should work fine during your trip. The point is that you are tailoring your own lenses to your own camera body.

Every camera body and every lens is slightly different, and in certain focus situations they need to be "corrected" to be perfectly sharp. My various lenses have had everything from "0" to "-10" on the focus chart, but on any other K20D the settings would be different based on where the sensor plane happens to be on that body. Put a different 16-50 on your camera and your previous adjustments wouldn't apply - that's why they are stored in the body, based on the serial # of the lens (I think).

Have a great trip, and Happy New Year!

BTW: if you are really anal(ytic) about setting your per-lens AF adjustments, you should use a tripod, 2 sec delay, and overcast sunlight.

Last edited by panoguy; 12-27-2009 at 04:25 PM. Reason: added tripod note
12-28-2009, 01:16 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
If it looks good to you, it should work fine during your trip. The point is that you are tailoring your own lenses to your own camera body.

Every camera body and every lens is slightly different, and in certain focus situations they need to be "corrected" to be perfectly sharp. My various lenses have had everything from "0" to "-10" on the focus chart, but on any other K20D the settings would be different based on where the sensor plane happens to be on that body. Put a different 16-50 on your camera and your previous adjustments wouldn't apply - that's why they are stored in the body, based on the serial # of the lens (I think).

Have a great trip, and Happy New Year!

BTW: if you are really anal(ytic) about setting your per-lens AF adjustments, you should use a tripod, 2 sec delay, and overcast sunlight.
Good Morning,

Thanks for your answer. So it should work during my trip as I was a bit analytic adjusting the focus.

I was worring about if that is standard - I am not used too - and if that correction works then with whole zoom range and distances. Thanks.

Happy new year for you too!!

Best, Walter