Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
Forum Member

$350 budget, use old lenses, what should I get?

I'm finally going to make the jump to a DSLR!!!

Right now I have $350 to put towards a body/kit. I already have a couple of old manual lenses, and I'm shopping for a few more but they aren't going to count against the $350. I also have a couple old super cheap flashes that have treated me well on my film bodies.

What camera should I get?

Right now I'm leaning heavily towards an *ist since they have the better support for my old lenses and flashes. The smaller mega-pixel capability worries me a bit. 90% of what I shoot would never be printed or if it was not larger than say 11"x14". However, I have had a family friend ask if I would be interested in shooting their wedding, so I would like to give them larger printing options if I decided to do it.

However, I've also seen a couple good deals on a K2000. Shake reduction and higher MP count has me considering it.

The KX also obviously really has me interested. I could definitely wait and save a little more for one, but I've been waiting for a long time and I'm super antsy to get something! The ability to shoot HD video sounds pretty cool as well...

I mainly shoot portraits of friends/family, cars, some architectural/structural stuff, and of course anything interesting I see.

Any and all input is appreciated!

12-27-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-m is a good compromise - 10Mp is more than enough for your needs, and is quite cost-effective.
Its AF performance is better than the *ist series.
It's a great beginner's dSLR.
Couple it with the kit lenses (18-55 and 55-300, or 50-200) and you have all you need to start photographing just about anything.
12-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what lenses and flashes specifically do you have.,

that will determine if the *istD is the right camera.

it is a good camera but if you don't need manual lens metering and TTL flash then you might want to look at something a little newer, even though I am a strong advocate of the *istD over all other 6 MP cameras for use with old lenses.
12-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you don't mind a used body, a K10D might not be a bad choice either.

12-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Theres a k10d for $300 in the marketplace

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/83424-sale-k1...-50-135mm.html
12-30-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
The lenses I have are nothing special. I have a Hanimex A 135mm f2.8 and a third party (can't remember the brand right now) 28mm A in awesome shape. The two flashes I use suit me well but both cost ~$5 from the local used camera shop. I also have a cheapa$$ ebay x.42 adapter that I use to get crazy fisheye shots. Although I love my gear, it's all cheap and I'm sure most people would probably think that it's garbage.

I had an SMC 50mm A F1.7 on loan from an uncle, and I'm definitely going to pick up another one to use on my new DSLR purchase. Will I run into any problems using any of the "classic" SMC-Pentax or Super Takumar lenses on a K2000?

I'm about to scoop up an awesome deal on a K2000 with kit lens, batteries, and SDHC card all brand new.

Thoughts?
12-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #7

good thing about pentax cameras is that you can use all your old lens =)

12-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
good thing about pentax cameras is that you can use all your old lens =)
I realize they will all mount up and shoot fine, I was just wondering more about their compatibility with flashes and metering and whatnot.
12-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sasquatch Quote
I realize they will all mount up and shoot fine, I was just wondering more about their compatibility with flashes and metering and whatnot.
If you want to use non "A" lenses (i.e. origonal K mount or M42 lenses) then there are 2 specific things to consider.

For flash photography, go with an *istD or DS because they support TTL flash with non A lenses, where as no other body does.

With respect to metering accuracy, the K10D and K20D are the worst with non "A" lenses, due to the focusing screen used. This may not be an issue if you put a split image focusing screen into the body, but doing so cost's you spot metering it's a trade off.

The K7 seems to meter better than the K10 or K20, but there are still reports of some problems.

If youo want flash on other than an *istD or DS, then you need a flash like the AF540FGZ which has it's own sensor and can work in auto mode. giving some functionality, but you are still better off for flash with an *istD or DS because it allows you to use a flash like the AF500FTZ which is very powerful, and available today at good prices used.
12-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the information, Lowell.

Some clarification:

How would a K2000 perform with old-school lenses that are still "A"? For instance, how well would an SMC A 50mm F1.7 or my 135 A f2.8 perform on a K2000 with flash?

Also, I used to shoot a lot of really dark concerts, assuming I wanted to do so again (in digital this time) what would be the most economical way to achieve this with a K2000 and the kit lens or a modern lens? Is there such thing as a "cheap" modern flash that would be good for this?
12-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

http://www.keh.com/Product-Details/1/DP029990817260/DP02/FE.aspx

IST DS 6.1 MEGAPIXEL BODY ONLY (SD CARD )

LN-
$245.00
$215.00

EX+
$215.00
$189.00

EX
$199.00
$172.00

Thank you
Russell
12-30-2009, 12:25 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
$172?!?! AAAAHHH!!!!!

I'm totally torn between a *ist and a K2000 now! I was moments away from buying a K2000 and I keep going back and forth!

I want the newness and the technology of the K2000, but I'm so used to old school flash and lens techniques!!

The *istDS uses SD? I thought they used CF...
12-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The *istDS uses SD? I thought they used CF...
istD was the only one that used CF. The DS was also the last of the Pentax DSLR with TTL support. It only is available on external flashes, not with the on board flash.

There is a istDS with the DA 18-50mm on the site as well. My session got screwed up so the site isn't working for me right now, I even cleared cookies, but if you look around at the lens section you might find some interesting.

If you use what you have and watch for deals on ebay, here, keh, used B&H, used Adorama, you might be surprised at the kit you could put together. It just takes patience, time, and a little luck.

Thank you
Russell
12-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the information, Lowell.

Some clarification:

How would a K2000 perform with old-school lenses that are still "A"? For instance, how well would an SMC A 50mm F1.7 or my 135 A f2.8 perform on a K2000 with flash?

Also, I used to shoot a lot of really dark concerts, assuming I wanted to do so again (in digital this time) what would be the most economical way to achieve this with a K2000 and the kit lens or a modern lens? Is there such thing as a "cheap" modern flash that would be good for this?
except for auto focus and the lens program line, both of which start with SMC-F lenses, the SMC-A lens will offer all automatic modes and flash modes supported by any of the digital bodies.

If all you have are A lenses, then go for a newer body with shake reduction.
12-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate all of the advice!!!!

I decided to go with the KM. I can still use my cheap old flashes and lenses on my 35mm bodies if I need to. I really want the SR and the newer gear.

So excited to receive it!!!