Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2010, 12:12 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Adjusting the camera away from center focus point to achieve proper framing is not practical for critical sharpness at close distances (let alone macro
Not sure what you're saying here, but if you're trying to imply the K-x lacks the ability to change focus points when not using live view, that's simply incorrect. The K-m lacks this ability, but the K-x does not. Sure, you have to sneak a peak at the LCD while moving the focus point, but that hardly renders it "nearly useless".

But more importantly, most serious macro photography is one with manual focus anyhow. So nothing having to do with AF can really be said to be much of a factor at all for macro photography.

QuoteQuote:
It is possible that the recent K-X firmware update has mitigated or eliminated the widely reported jello effect and soft imaging issues (which might or might not be SR related).
More likely user error. there is a veyr long tradition of people taking poor pictures and blaming them on the camera. I see no credible evidence the situation is any different here.

QuoteQuote:
As far as direct comparisons of SR comparing the K20D performance to the later bodies - I'm only aware of one extensive test.
Same here, which is why I think the jury is still out on this. There are lots of different ways of measuring the effectiveness of stabilization, and just because one method shows a potential issue doesn't t mean it is a problem in practice.

QuoteQuote:
but every model has some compromises.
Obviously. I'm not saying the K-x is perfect. I'm just saying it a gross misstatement to call it "nearly useless" for macro photography, and premature to declare the SR system "compromised" based on one test.

01-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #17
Inactive Account

K-x focus problem

I would GLADLY pay an extra $100 usd (maybe even $200) for a K-x that could display and select focus points in the view finder. I would also gladly trade the movie feature (which most beginners will never learn to use properly) for a view finder that would display proper focus information. After all, a great movie camera (that I can actually use) can be purchased for under $200.

It looks like I must either get a 450D instead of a K-x, or wait until September and hope Pentax will announce a K-6. Or perhaps I should look for a used K20D.