Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

Thinking of upgrading from K100d to K-x....

I've had a K100D for about 3 years now - my first DSLR, and I've loved (and still love) using it. I'm finally getting back into photography again, and I'm thinking about upgrading.

My question specifically is about the lack of autofocus points in the viewfinder. Sorry if this has been covered a ton, but I did a search and didn't see much. I rely on the autofocus points a lot when framing and focusing with my K100d, but I'm really curious how dependent I am for focusing.

K-x owners - have any of you switched to the K-x from another camera where you've used the autofocus indicators? Do you miss them? Should this be a deal-breaker?

A couple things about this camera really excite me, though. I take a lot of photos indoors, and I HATE using flash. My K100d doesn't do too well above ISO 800, so being able to take lower-light shots hand-held is really exciting.

I also do a lot of video stuff - mostly music videos and such. I'm a worship leader, and I run a site where I put up a lot of tutorials on how to play songs. I've got a nice HD camcorder, but those things can't pull off the depth of field look that a DSLR can. I've seen a fair ammount of footage from the K-x (if you're interested, check this out over at Vimeo: Pentax k-x on Vimeo). I like what I see.

Finally, the price is right. I don't have much over $2-300 to spend. I've got a Sigma 18-200mm lens, so I don't have a need for the kit lens, so I'd be able to sell it, which would put the cost of upgrading to a K-x a little under $500 or so, plus I could sell my K100d body to make up some of the rest of the cost.

Anyway - the lack of autofocus indicators is my biggest concern, and unfortunately, Pentax's website doesn't list any retailers where I live (Durham, NC). I just moved from Oklahoma City, and we had 3 dealers in the metro area. Being able to handle a K100d is why I bought it in the first place. It felt so much better in my hands than the Nikon/Canon competition at the time.

Thanks for bearing with me through this long post, ha. Sorry if this has been covered to death already.

- Brian

12-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Already found some posts about the autofocus point thing. I'll keep reading. Feel free to weigh in if you'd like.

Also - any input on the video stuff would be good. Like I said, I've got a camcorder that does awesome footage, but an all-in-one device would be cool, plus multiple camera angels is good!
12-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I might also say about focusing. I almost always just use the center focusing on my K100d. If I want to frame something in focus but not in the center, I just point the focus indicator square (centered) at whatever I want to focus on, lock focus, and then move the camera to however I want to frame the subject.

Since this is how I always use the camera, I'm thinking I wouldn't miss the indicator. If it beeps at me, that should be sufficient.
12-28-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
might also say about focusing. I almost always just use the center focusing on my K100d. If I want to frame something in focus but not in the center, I just point the focus indicator square (centered) at whatever I want to focus on, lock focus, and then move the camera to however I want to frame the subject.

Since this is how I always use the camera, I'm thinking I wouldn't miss the indicator. If it beeps at me, that should be sufficient.

Then I wouldn't think that the Kx will disappoint you at all. I always did it the same way that you do, until I tried selecting the focus point with my K20D. I find it is so useful that now I cannot live without that feature, especially because I don't have to reframe when shooting with a tripod, which I use religiously these days. For me, it's a deal breaker. For others it isn't.

Enjoy the Kx. It sounds like an incredible camera for the money. Actually, it just sounds like an incredible camera!