Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you think the K-x has better image quality than the dSLR it replaces.
Yes. Clearly better than my old camera. 6289.86%
No. I feel my old camera took nicer/better images. 710.14%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Ok, a little K-x bashing is needed here for some excitement, Pixel Peeper Devils advocate is in.

I went little further and enlarged your samples a bit more:

Below, clearly seen orange cloth has lot more detail with K100Ds, and please don't forget K100Ds is 6MP K-x is 12 MP, so actually K100Ds pictures should be halved for real comparison, whch will yield more clearer results in K100 pictures.
I think you'd be making a mistake using these samples (from Digital Cameras, Digital Camera Reviews - The Imaging Resource!) as "evidence" in any case the smaller image should be up scaled, shrinking the higher resolution image to compare means that you are also comparing the downsizing transform algorithm.

I have the *ist D, K-x and K20D and the K-x isn't soft, it's quite a capable camera and it definitely offers various IQ improvements (including resolution) over the original 6MP Sony sensor (finally).

01-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
I think you'd be making a mistake using these samples (from Digital Cameras, Digital Camera Reviews - The Imaging Resource!) as "evidence" in any case the smaller image should be up scaled, shrinking the higher resolution image to compare means that you are also comparing the downsizing transform algorithm..
Probably, so what would be your your accepted method? would you do it for us by cropping brushes from RAW, or let me know your method I'll try to do it.
01-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Probably, so what would be your your accepted method? would you do it for us by cropping brushes from RAW, or let me know your method I'll try to do it.
Unless you have direct access to both cameras under test I don't think it's going to be a realistically valid comparison. Sourcing images from the web for comparison is problematic, setting up a test using both cameras under controlled conditions would be ideal. I can borrow a K100D and do a direct comparison with my k-x but I'm in no rush as I don't think there's any question that the K-x sensor out resolves the 6MP sensor. WRT up-sizing I'd just crop and use spine64 transform.
01-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
Unless you have direct access to both cameras under test I don't think it's going to be a realistically valid comparison. Sourcing images from the web for comparison is problematic, setting up a test using both cameras under controlled conditions would be ideal. I can borrow a K100D and do a direct comparison with my k-x but I'm in no rush as I don't think there's any question that the K-x sensor out resolves the 6MP sensor. WRT up-sizing I'd just crop and use spine64 transform.
I would agree about using jpegs from the web. I can and will try comparisons on a tripod with the same lens/ACR settings/etc. with my K-10d and K-20d, but I probably won't have time for a few days. Of course, the real world includes SR and other factors.

01-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #35
Veteran Member

use 2 raw files taken w/ the same lens of the same subject, convert each using any raw converter - even different ones for both raws, just do not forget to publish the conversion settings so that your raw conversion can be judged, upscale the one w/ lesser pixels to the size of the one w/ more pixels using any tool that you want... then we will be talking... if you want to downscale, we need to settle on a program - Imagemagick has a number of good algorithms implemented and free... and that might include iterative downscaling in 2+ steps
01-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
upscale the one w/ lesser pixels to the size of the one w/ more pixels using any tool that you want... then we will be talking... if you want to downscale, we need to settle on a program - Imagemagick has a number of good algorithms implemented and free... and that might include iterative downscaling in 2+ steps
Easy to find similar RAWs from the net but. Wouldn't upscaling cause image degradation due to pixel remapping by the algorithm? Also I would like to know, on downscaling what makes you trust in Imagemagick so much?
01-21-2010, 01:24 AM   #37

How'bout IQ? Better than legendary K100Ds too?
I think IQ is a tie although I haven't done any objective comparisons, the K-x colours are more muted "out of the box". The resolution of the K-x is of course much higher giving it greater cropability.
Although ergonomics are better on the k-x, build quality was better on the k100dS (for example the pop up flash wobbles a little bit when not used)
01-21-2010, 06:27 AM   #38
Pentaxian

The only way to compare images is to process both in exactly the same way. You would have to downsize both the 6 and 12 mp samples to some resolution less than 6mp, or better yet print the images at the same size.

It's not fair to compare the K100D at ISO 3200, because it's not native to the sensor. IME the boosted ISO 3200 on K100D, ISO 6400 on K20D, and ISO 12800 on K-x are all garbage and should never be used. You're better off taking the photo at the native resolution and adding light in p-p. Comparing the K100DS and K-x at ISO 1600 is fair game (K-x is a bit cleaner).

I prefer the more accurate K-x white balance to the overly warm K100DS jpeg output because it's more accurate, but the K100's warmer colours can be very seductive.