Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you think the K-x has better image quality than the dSLR it replaces.
Yes. Clearly better than my old camera. 6289.86%
No. I feel my old camera took nicer/better images. 710.14%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2009, 12:42 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dude2009 Quote
Can you explain why you use the AF button instead of half pressing the shutter? Any advantage or consideration on it?
There are times when proper focus has been achieved but the shutter will not fire due to lack of AF information. The AF button helps isolate the shutter and disassociate it from the AF requirements.

12-30-2009, 06:41 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Conan Quote
To those who answered No, did you try tweaking the picture controls? Try adding contrast and sharpness. When I did my K-X pictures now match what I used to get with my K200D at low ISO outdoor shots.
hi..... i too have a k200d and now a k-x...... i primarily use p mode... can you tell me/us what settings you changed and to what degree?
thanks!! dave m....
12-30-2009, 06:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
There are times when proper focus has been achieved but the shutter will not fire due to lack of AF information. The AF button helps isolate the shutter and disassociate it from the AF requirements.
There are also times when you are a fixed distance from a subject, and you have established focus with the AF button and can now just wait for the right moment to press the shutter. This can help with anything from a candid from across the table or a motorcycle rounding a bend.
01-02-2010, 12:18 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
There are also times when you are a fixed distance from a subject, and you have established focus with the AF button and can now just wait for the right moment to press the shutter. This can help with anything from a candid from across the table or a motorcycle rounding a bend.
QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
There are also times if you use AF tied to shutter button when you need to delay the final shot because of facial expression or other and you have to sit there with your finger delicately pressed half-way down to hold the focus so you can be ready for the quick shot. You may twitch and take the shot before you are ready, or if you take your finger off the button you will have to go through the AF process all over again when you are ready to take the shot. If will double check again to make sure it is still in focus. With AF tied only to AF button I say: "Focus once and be done with it!" This advantage is not as great for moving objects where AF-C may be better.

01-03-2010, 06:23 AM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
hi..... i too have a k200d and now a k-x...... i primarily use p mode... can you tell me/us what settings you changed and to what degree?
thanks!! dave m....
Using the "Bright" picture setting, bump up the contrast by two notches and the sharpness by two or three notches. However when using this setting at ISO 6400 noise starts to be a problem due to the bumped up sharpness. When I know that I'll be using high ISO to take indoor shots I change the picture to setting to "Natural" without any tweaks.
01-03-2010, 07:42 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Conan Quote
Using the "Bright" picture setting, bump up the contrast by two notches and the sharpness by two or three notches. However when using this setting at ISO 6400 noise starts to be a problem due to the bumped up sharpness. When I know that I'll be using high ISO to take indoor shots I change the picture to setting to "Natural" without any tweaks.
thanks for the info..... i primarily shoot outdoors, and have also bumped up the contrast +1 and sharpness +2..... otherwise, the shots don't have enough definition for me... the k-x does need some tweaking, but once personal use/experience comes into play, the k-x yields some nice shots.... better than my k200d was capable of.. (or it could be me !!).. the af is quicker and more accurate than the k200d..... regards and happy new year, dave m
01-06-2010, 04:11 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dude2009 Quote
Can you explain why you use the AF button instead of half pressing the shutter? Any advantage or consideration on it?

Camera is far more usable withour AF on the shutter. Couldn't go back to half press AF... its a horrible feature! Its ruined enough photos for me by deciding to refocus before it will let me shoot.

01-08-2010, 02:27 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Camera is far more usable withour AF on the shutter. Couldn't go back to half press AF... its a horrible feature! Its ruined enough photos for me by deciding to refocus before it will let me shoot.
I led my neighbor to buy a K-x but before checking his camera let me ask you did you try setting AF to AF-C (continuous mode?)
01-16-2010, 06:41 AM   #24

The Kx is a tremendous upgrade from the K10D. I am mystified by anyone who would switch back.
01-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #25
Veteran Member

General comment: I'm not convinced of the value of the high ISO... I shot a few at 3200, and 6400 and hated them, never bothered with 12800 because I knew it would be a disappointment. I rarely shot over 400 with my K200D, and I expect not to shoot over 400 on the K-x. That said, I think the quality of those shots is an improvement on the older camera.
01-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #26

I changed to a K-x from a K100D Super, and it's a big improvement. AF accuracy, white balance and auto exposure are much better. Ergonomics are also better, and with a DA limited attached people wonder whether it is an SLR.
Menu structure is also way better, look for example at the way of setting the auto iso range.
Minor annoyances are the battery problem, and the shutter button half press being more sensitive, so i often press it by acident when viewing images.
01-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lodewijk Quote
I changed to a K-x from a K100D Super, and it's a big improvement. AF accuracy, white balance and auto exposure are much better. Ergonomics are also better,
How'bout IQ? Better than legendary K100Ds too?
01-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
How'bout IQ? Better than legendary K100Ds too?
I'm not Lodewijk - but I can say for me it's a resounding yes.

The K-x for my usage has better IQ in just about every way over my K100D
- and I have used the K100D extensively for over 3 years - and still think it is a great dSLR - it's just that the K-x is better.

Please take a look at Kx in Use for some samples.

For more "objective" comparison - using 100% crops from Imaging-Resource test sample images of the K-x and K100D -
I have also included the K-x crops downsized to 6Mp so that same size comparisons can be made with the K100D

Shadow noise:
ISO200

ISO3200

Details -
ISO200

ISO3200

The K100D default "Bright" color setting is very saturated with higher than normal contrast - whereas the K-x is much more in line with its direct competition - so is a bit more muted (which I much prefer) -

dpReview of K100D -
" The K100D's color response was quite similar to that of previous Pentax digital SLR's, that is quite highly saturated (vivid) in the default 'Bright' image tone, as can also be seen earlier in this review, it can lead to color clipping in certain situations (such as red flowers in direct sunlight). Switching to the Natural tone calms color saturation to more typical levels (compared to other digital SLRs). "

dpReview of K-x
"The K-x produces an almost identical color response to its bigger brother, the K-7. As we've seen in other reviews the standard hues are also very similar to most other SLRs in this class, with minor saturation and brightness differences but essentially the same color response."

So the K100D will tend to exaggerate details and punch etc. -
even with that, one can see the K-x compared does have very good IQ at both low and high ISO.
01-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One evening of testing, and mostly in very low light, but it looks very promising. The one thing I will be interested to see is how the K-x performs with the various pancake lenses. My first tests with the FA40 ltd were good, but when I switched to the FA 35/2, IQ was stellar. I'm thinking that the extra stop made a difference in the low light AF accuracy.

Last edited by GeneV; 01-20-2010 at 06:08 AM. Reason: correction
01-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Ok, a little K-x bashing is needed here for some excitement, Pixel Peeper Devils advocate is in.

I went little further and enlarged your samples a bit more:

Below, clearly seen orange cloth has lot more detail with K100Ds, and please don't forget K100Ds is 6MP K-x is 12 MP, so actually K100Ds pictures should be halved for real comparison, whch will yield more clearer results in K100 pictures.

I guess below samples are more intriguing or need no comments, just look at the brush hairs, especially on the far left one and scale numbers.

I've used my friends K-x a bit, not much, K-x results were always gave me the impression like pictures taken in the mist, I haven't extensively tried it yet, so K-x people no need to get offended with this claim yet.

My first impression about K-x is, it's a starter camera, superiority over K100Ds is better high ISO results and you can get larger print sizes with 12MP obviously, for now, but those are my first impressions.