Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2009, 07:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My new K7

I have joined the K7 club it appears to be a great camera has way more features than my *stDS but that is to be expected. The picture quality on first blush is really good will do some shooting later today with my current lenses.
I do have a couple of gripes with the "Pentax Dealer" They were not very helpfull and didn't know squat about the camera, kept referring to Nicannon. I asked when the Pentax rep comes in to the store said "not vey often the cannon rep is in at least every month".
It's a 2 hour drive to "Henry's Camera" and I called b4 checking on the availabity of the K7 and a DA 50-135 f2.8 lense. Said they had them in stock. Got there looked at the camera asked a few questions. The sales man said "I only use Cannon & don't know much about Pentax" (didn't even know the warranty time or what card to sell me).
Then I asked about the lens. He couldn't find the Lenses. I pointed it out on the top shelf above the Pentax display. He got it down I noticed the box was dusty and ripped (not a good sign) took out the lense and it rattled. Needless to say I didn't buy it.

Checked his computer and didn't have any in the warehouse but maybe able to find one in one of the other Henry's stores. Then he said buy it on line. I was a little ticked off but bought the K7, Battery grip, extra battery and a 4 GHz Ex III card.

Today thought I would check the version of the camera. Only way I found out how to access the menu was from the Pentax Forum thanks. Found that my brand new K7 is version 1.00 you would think that the rep would up date the cameras in stock or at least show the store manager how to up date the camera. I asked the store what software version was in the camera he told me it was the latest. Any way I will struggle thru as we seem to be on our own except for this great Forum.

Has any one any thoughts on how we can get better service and support for these fantastic cameras?

12-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GordZ Quote
I have joined the K7 club it appears to be a great camera has way more features than my *stDS but that is to be expected. The picture quality on first blush is really good will do some shooting later today with my current lenses.
I do have a couple of gripes with the "Pentax Dealer" They were not very helpfull and didn't know squat about the camera, kept referring to Nicannon. I asked when the Pentax rep comes in to the store said "not vey often the cannon rep is in at least every month".
It's a 2 hour drive to "Henry's Camera" and I called b4 checking on the availabity of the K7 and a DA 50-135 f2.8 lense. Said they had them in stock. Got there looked at the camera asked a few questions. The sales man said "I only use Cannon & don't know much about Pentax" (didn't even know the warranty time or what card to sell me).
Then I asked about the lens. He couldn't find the Lenses. I pointed it out on the top shelf above the Pentax display. He got it down I noticed the box was dusty and ripped (not a good sign) took out the lense and it rattled. Needless to say I didn't buy it.

Checked his computer and didn't have any in the warehouse but maybe able to find one in one of the other Henry's stores. Then he said buy it on line. I was a little ticked off but bought the K7, Battery grip, extra battery and a 4 GHz Ex III card.

Today thought I would check the version of the camera. Only way I found out how to access the menu was from the Pentax Forum thanks. Found that my brand new K7 is version 1.00 you would think that the rep would up date the cameras in stock or at least show the store manager how to up date the camera. I asked the store what software version was in the camera he told me it was the latest. Any way I will struggle thru as we seem to be on our own except for this great Forum.

Has any one any thoughts on how we can get better service and support for these fantastic cameras?
Gord,

Here is the link to get the latest version of the K7 firmware:

Pentax Canada - K-7

Just so you know, there is an actual version "1.02" but according to some reviews here, it doesn't do much difference to the way the camera behaves. I have v. 1.01 and that is fine.
Make sure you follow the instructions CAREFULLY.
If you ever run into problems, which you shouldn't, come back here and ask questions. We will help you.
For an insight of what this v. 1.02 is, just go here and read what people say about it:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/84607-new-k-7-firmware-v1-02-00-16-a.html

As for Henry's ... I have tons of experience with them from when I lived in Ottawa, for nearly 20 years. Actually, it was in Kanata. (subburb now part of Ottawa).
The folks there were extremely helpful and knew their stuff.
However, I also know from experience that some Henry's stores are stuck on Canikon products and they don't know much about Pentax at all, unfortunately.

I suggest that you read your manual thouroughly and of course, consult with all of us here on this very important Pentax-related website.
The forum is one heck of a great place to educate yourself in many aspects of photography, including the use and intricacies of the K7.

If you bought the camera from Henry's, not the lens as I can see, then you shouldn't have problems for services. If you do, check with another Henry's and I am sure you will find someone who is knowledgeable on the product. This sort of store has franchises all over Ontario. Go to their website and check what would be convenient to you, then place a telephone call and inquire directly. Get someone who is not a Canikon-only-"freak".

Wish you all the best and congratulations on your new K7 .... I just love mine!

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 12-28-2009 at 10:39 AM.
12-28-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My new K7

Thanks I just down loaded the latest version. This Forum is very helpfull. I have delt with Henry's for a long time and they have been very helpfull this time I was a bit distrubed since I was dealing with the Assistant Manager. I sent a note off to Pentax Canada and to Henry's customer service. I still want the lens. The camera is more than I expected have had a bit of a walk about but it's cold outside and is now snowing so will wait for sum sunny weather. Thanks I will take my K7 to the camera club and show it off next week.
12-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GordZ Quote
Thanks I just down loaded the latest version. This Forum is very helpfull. I have delt with Henry's for a long time and they have been very helpfull this time I was a bit distrubed since I was dealing with the Assistant Manager. I sent a note off to Pentax Canada and to Henry's customer service. I still want the lens. The camera is more than I expected have had a bit of a walk about but it's cold outside and is now snowing so will wait for sum sunny weather. Thanks I will take my K7 to the camera club and show it off next week.
Good for you!
I also have heard/read some great new about this DA*50-135. You'll have a great time with this set up.

JP

12-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Gord
I second JP's comment. The firmware update is simple as long as you follow carefully the instructions. Remember to reformat your SD card before your transfer the new firmware file to the camera.

You will find some great advice, comments and experience sharing at PentaxForums.com - The Largest Pentax-Dedicated Photography Forum Community- Home. I follow closely several forums incl. imaging-resource and dPreview. But PentaxForums.com - The Largest Pentax-Dedicated Photography Forum Community- Home is really the most friendly and helpful forum, by far!

Enjoy your K-7 like most of us.

Last edited by hcc; 12-28-2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Tyupo
12-29-2009, 12:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is one guy at Kennedy Commons who uses Pentax, sorry forgot his name ( he helped me with my first digital Pentax DSLR K200D, since then i've found this forum to be quite helpful) so hopefully not sounding lame, it was an East Indian fellow.