Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: K-x vs. K-7? - Which one... $500 or $1000? Same Features?
Buy K-x and save $500...(and still be a pro??) (also keeping my K20d) 2956.86%
Buy K-7 and spend $1000 and be a pro. (also keeping my K20d) 2243.14%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote
This is why I ask... for deal-breakers like this... (and to learn actual pros/cons that first-hand users can reveal... I have no camera store near me)

I will be shooting a lot of video.

Does anyone know how long the AA's in the K-x last when recording only video (or using live view)?

Is there a time limit on the video files... or does the K-x and K-7 just record until the memory card is full?
there is certainly a lot of dealbreakers if you are going to do a lot of videos. and I believe the K-7 is the ideal choice for that certain function. what I don't like about the AA's is that you need to recharge them everytime before use. AA's died on me a couple of times already because of that. that's why it is preferable to use D-Lion batteries on the battery grip as well.

12-29-2009, 03:26 PM   #32
Veteran Member

PF-User, if you are going for the K-7, I highly suggest that you start shopping now for those cheap F/FA powerzoom "parfocal" lenses. they worked pretty well on the K-7 which supports this feature, and makes it a pretty nice and very useful for making movies. the k-x doesn't have this to offer.
12-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pakuchn Quote
Why does anyone focus so much on the body and less on the lense?
Without a good body., the lens is useless. (and vice-versa)

Besides, there's an entire l;ens section on this forum. Plenty of discussion there.

Jason
12-29-2009, 04:57 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
PF-User, if you are going for the K-7, I highly suggest that you start shopping now for those cheap F/FA powerzoom "parfocal" lenses. they worked pretty well on the K-7 which supports this feature, and makes it a pretty nice and very useful for making movies. the k-x doesn't have this to offer.
Which lenses are these? (Only about 3 or 4, right?)

I thought no DSLR supported POWERZOOM.

Is there some other feature built into these lenses that make them good for movies? What makes them special?

12-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by erickallemeyn Quote
only at ISO 6400 and above is the K-x "better". K7 wins for anything below that
This.

I can't understand how anyone could read a spec. sheet and think the cameras are anywhere near equal at the low-ISO range.

Not to mention that the Kx isn't weather sealed, doesn't have a flash sync socket, doesn't have a metal inner body, and doesn't even have a top LCD screen.
12-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #36

But, it does take better pictures when compared to K-7.
12-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #37
Veteran Member

yes thats the crux of whole thing.

In reviews conclusion DPR makes few interesting points.

QuoteOriginally posted by dpreview_kx_review:
While at first sight the new model is pretty much indistinguishable from the K2000, a closer look reveals that, from a features and specification point of view, the K-x has quite lot in common with the K-7, a significantly more expensive camera. It comes with the K-7's 11-point AF system and PRIME II imaging engine, along with its abilities to correct for chromatic aberration and distortion when using Pentax DA and DFA lenses. Add 720p HD video, ISO 12800 and 4.7 frames per second continuous shooting to the mix and you've got a, for the the K-x's very attractive price point, impressively well-specified camera.
Further, about image quality.

QuoteOriginally posted by dpreview_kx_review:
Crucially the image quality does not lag behind the technical specification. The image output at base ISO shows good detail and colors but where the K-x really starts to shine is in low light. Its high ISO JPEGs are possibly the best of all current DSLRs with an APS-C size sensor; they certainly beat any of its direct competitors.
Pretty bold claim from one of the most influential review site. And this is when they are being accused of treating pentax cams badly.

Last few days lots of argument with regard to kx and k7, my feeling is that many of the k7 users are not ready to give kx the credit it deserves. It seems that they find it very difficult to acknowledge that kx does indeed has better sensor and better image quality.

I think sayingthat kx is better does not mean that k7 is useless, but somehow it is difficult to understand for many k7 users.

12-29-2009, 10:01 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote
Which lenses are these? (Only about 3 or 4, right?)

I thought no DSLR supported POWERZOOM.

Is there some other feature built into these lenses that make them good for movies? What makes them special?

the good thing about them is the ability to auto-focus at the same time while controlling the zoom electronically in and out which in a way making video recording much smoother. that it is a way a convenience also. I think a used 60-100 dollar powerzoom lens is worth the shot in using it for videos. for reference, you can check the video section of this forum for those lenses. it is also indicated there which Pentax dslrs' support powerzooms, and the K-7 is one of them. the k-x is not.
12-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #39
Veteran Member

define better and at which and what terms? mind you that High ISO capability/performance does not equate to IQ. there are several parameters that constitute IQ, High ISO performance is just one of them but you need to determine the other parameters as well.

also try to see what IQ parameters or area where the k-x is quite weak at, unless you determine them, it would be hard for some k-x users to understand or figure out as to why K-7 users don't find the k-x needed.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 12-29-2009 at 10:13 PM.
12-29-2009, 10:22 PM   #40
Veteran Member

ok, let's just get back to the topic again, the OP is looking for the best camera for doing videos. the k-x is a good cheap alternative for doing videos but it's video capabilities are limited. thereby, causing more deal-breakers in the long run. if the OP does have the budget and dont mind spending, he knows for certain what he really needed for shooting videos.
12-30-2009, 05:39 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
I think sayingthat kx is better does not mean that k7 is useless, but somehow it is difficult to understand for many k7 users.
I own both cameras. I think I had no difficulties to understand the respective advantages and disadvantages of both cameras.
12-30-2009, 09:41 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I own both cameras. I think I had no difficulties to understand the respective advantages and disadvantages of both cameras.
i think you are an intelligent guy and definitely not in category i was talking about.
12-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #43
Veteran Member

seriously, please mods, please, please ban any user that askes this question ever again. I am so tired of people comparing a $20 an hour craigslist hooker with a a $1000 an hour Vegas call girl. Both will do the same things for you but if you could actually afford the Vegas call girl you wouldn't even be looking at the craigslist ho...

Your just trying to rationalize the fact that the craigslist option is your only real option.

Last edited by mtroute; 12-30-2009 at 02:20 PM.
12-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
Pretty bold claim from one of the most influential review site.
Not a bold claim at all considering they specifically said they were talking baout *high ISO* IQ - in other words, a minor corner case for most people.

QuoteQuote:
It seems that they find it very difficult to acknowledge that kx does indeed has better sensor and better image quality.
That's because high ISO aside, your statement simply isn't true. The differences in the more normal ISO range are much more subjective, with most people who actually compare images rather than crunch numbers preferring the K-7. Not by a big enough margin to really matter, but enough to say that any claim the K-x is simply "better" in IQ is demonstratably false.

BTW, I'm not a K-7 user - I'm juist someone capable of looking at thing reasonably objectively.
12-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Not a bold claim at all considering they specifically said they were talking baout *high ISO* IQ - in other words, a minor corner case for most people.

That's because high ISO aside, your statement simply isn't true. The differences in the more normal ISO range are much more subjective, with most people who actually compare images rather than crunch numbers preferring the K-7. Not by a big enough margin to really matter, but enough to say that any claim the K-x is simply "better" in IQ is demonstratably false.

BTW, I'm not a K-7 user - I'm juist someone capable of looking at thing reasonably objectively.
Marc, your statement and logic makes more sense. but anyway, concerning the OP's dilemma and eventhough it looks like he is pissing some people, which camera you think would be better for video recording? this is of course can be both subjective and objective in a way. so pros and cons or any dealbreakers are put into consideration.