Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
Forum Member

New K-X died?

Ive had my brand new white K-X since the 18th of December and it appears to have died suddenly. I thought it might be the batteries so I swapped them out for some that were working. However, it is still dead. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Amazon is willing to swap it out but I will have to wait a while before they have anymore white ones in stock again.

th

12-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdtalley Quote
Ive had my brand new white K-X since the 18th of December and it appears to have died suddenly. I thought it might be the batteries so I swapped them out for some that were working. However, it is still dead. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Amazon is willing to swap it out but I will have to wait a while before they have anymore white ones in stock again.
Just a long shot -
are you still on Firmware 1.00?

If so, some people had a lot of battery problems under that FW.

Although some batteries may work in other cameras -
the K-x with FW 1.00 was very fussy/sensitive to batteries.

The best bet is to try a fresh set of Energizer Lithium AA -
like the ones originally supplied in the USA.

Please try that and let us know.

Hopefully it's just the batteries......
and then all you have to do is upgrade to Firmware 1.01
12-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #3

If you're on the old firmware, try booting it up without a lens attached, in Manual focus mode.
12-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I had similar moments of panic with mine, where it refused to work with fresh batteries. Take out batteries for some minutes, insert again, wait again, and switch on, repeat until camera starts. Then make sure to have the proper batteriy type selected.

12-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
ok i feel like an idiot now. I was using lithium batteries but charged them using a Nimh charger. I guess they weren't charged as the camera started right up once I placed regular alkaline batteries in. Apparently all of my rechargeable batteries are really dead as I have been charging them with the wrong charger.
12-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

ok i feel like an idiot now. I was using lithium batteries but charged them using a Nimh charger. I guess they weren't charged as the camera started right up once I placed regular alkaline batteries in. Apparently all of my rechargeable batteries are really dead as I have been charging them with the wrong charger.
Hold on a moment please -
those Lithium AA batteries are NOT rechargeable -
not only that there is a great danger of possible explosion if your try to charge them......
please be careful!
12-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buy new lithium batteries and put them in the camera, or invest in a decent set of NiMh rechargeables like the Powerex Maha series.

Then let us know how the K-x goes with it...
12-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
those Lithium AA batteries are NOT rechargeable
Lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries are.
Maybe that's what he is talking about ?

12-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries are.
Maybe that's what he is talking about ?
Li-Ion batteries are about 3.7V native (more than double a typical AA)
which means he would have damaged the K-x -
so do you think that was the case?
12-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
those Lithium AA batteries are NOT rechargeable -
not only that there is a great danger of possible explosion if your try to charge them......
please be careful!
You are a 100% correct. I am very thankful that I didn't harm myself. I dont know what I was thinking but I definitely tried to charge non rechargeable batteries over night after they died. In any event, I feel very lucky that I have not only avoided disaster but that there is nothing wrong with my camera. I still dont know why my other rechargeable batteries didnt work in the camera though.
12-28-2009, 04:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

You are a 100% correct. I am very thankful that I didn't harm myself. I dont know what I was thinking but I definitely tried to charge non rechargeable batteries over night after they died. In any event, I feel very lucky that I have not only avoided disaster but that there is nothing wrong with my camera. I still dont know why my other rechargeable batteries didnt work in the camera though.
ah! that's the $64K question.

Pentax dSLRs using AA batteries have been notorious for being very battery sensitive/fussy - dating all the way back to the *ist days.

I'm not too sure that the K-x is that much better - although the signs with Firmware version 1.01 seem to be very encouraging.

Anyway to cut a L-O-N-G story short - many NiMH rechargeable batteries that seem to work just fine in other cameras or devices,
often will not even power up Pentax dSLRs.

The general consensus is that eneloops do work, and work well -
get a couple of sets of eneloop AAs
and a good charger and you'll be mostly free of problems -
well, the battery kind anyway -
anything else is is just your.....

If you want to read about battery woes on the K-x check out this thread -

K-x owners: NiMH batteries results please

read all the grayed text in the OP.......

Now that you have good batteries working -
I hope you will upgrade to Firmware Version 1.01

K-x 1.01 firmware now available
12-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
not hard to get a good charger with eneloops... more often than not you can buy the pack of eneloops along with a charger as well..

and usually they pair batteries and chargers for a reason

as for why your other rechargable NiMH batteries might be dead..

to quote wikipedia

QuoteQuote:
A complete discharge of a cell until it goes into polarity reversal can cause permanent damage to the cell. This situation can occur in the common arrangement of four AA cells in series in a digital camera, where one will be completely discharged before the others due to small differences in capacity among the cells. When this happens, the "good" cells will start to "drive" the discharged cell in reverse, which can cause permanent damage to that cell. Some cameras, GPS receivers and PDAs detect the safe end-of-discharge voltage of the series cells and auto-shutdown, but devices like flashlights and some toys do not.