Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2009, 05:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

yep, it's the latest 'big dick' contest of internet photo communities.

12-29-2009, 06:32 AM   #17

Shoot whatever you like, but if you're a pixel peeping whiner, switch to RAW before you show up here and complain.
12-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
virtually all the time

any time I have done a raw vs jped comparison, I have come away feeling that my jpeg settings are just as good as what I see in RAW.

if you are going to take shots even to display on a 22 inch monitor with 1600 x 1200 resolution, jpeg is just fine.
12-29-2009, 08:40 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by foster Quote
Shoot whatever you like, but if you're a pixel peeping whiner, switch to RAW before you show up here and complain.
Couldn't agree more! I'm quite irritated by people who generate three pages of discussion after complaining about noise, only to then have someone drag out of them the fact that they were shooting JPEG...as if that might not have mattered!!

12-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
any time I have done a raw vs jped comparison, I have come away feeling that my jpeg settings are just as good as what I see in RAW.
There's the misconception, it's not just about 'settings' it's essentially if you ever so much as tweak a single image.
12-29-2009, 09:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here is one of my pictures converted from RAW.
Attached Images

12-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #22
Igilligan

Exactly

Exactly what I thought would happen...

Honestly when you are shootin' polaroid snapshots like I do... what difference does it make?

But for the folks who really want to learn.... Lets keep those amazing RAW photographs coming...

Last edited by Igilligan; 12-29-2009 at 11:56 AM.
12-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote

I wrote a little Haiku about it... goes something like this here

Big black camera
Suck your money eat your time
Lost time lost focus

Raw needy image
Make no mistake perfection
Jpeg sets you free

I now will refer to you for excellent haiku about any situation Gus, this was just too funny.

12-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #24

I use JPEG because I use Photoshop Element and it's not very friendly with RAW, it's very slow with my pictures on a Home Server on a wifi-N network but just fine with JPEG files. I think the software caches JPEG for performance but not the RAW files.
If I have a wired Gigabit network some day I'll test again.
12-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I used to do a lot of school photography, everything was jpeg, and jpeg'd down to the smallest size possible. The secret was getting the lighting right and that is true of most situations.

Justin.
12-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #26
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Exactly what I thought would happen...

Honestly when you are shootin' polaroid snapshots like I do... what difference does it make?

But for the folks who really want to learn.... Lets keep those amazing RAW photographs coming...
I've just noticed that none of the RAW proponents have any of their 'film' shots in the gallery and I don't personally recall seeing photographs from them ('film' or otherwise) anywhere else.
Come to think of it, for a photography forum, there seems to be an awful lot of armchair photographers. They talk about it a lot but there's little evidence to suggest they actually do it.
Of course, judging by the way a lot of them talk, we must be missing out on some shit hot images, it's a shame they're so good that if they were posted here, they would immediately be stolen.
On the other hand, it could just be a lot of virtual hot air that gets talked, maybe we're only missing out on some shit images.

I'm a polaroid shooter myself.
12-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Exactly, if you can properly use a camera and get the exposure right what's the point of RAW? I always use JPG and I don't ever have to worry about conversion time or hassle.

And I shoot low ISO so noise is never an issue with proper exposure.
12-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I always shoot RAW. I personally don't like dealing with setting WB. I then edit in PS3 and export as a jpeg.
12-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
fwiw... i've been shootin' with the k200d for quite some time... just enjoying life as an amateur shooter..... only shooting jpegs with wb adjustment (not hard) for each different venue.. tweak e.c. occasionally, and shoot in 'p' mode..... tinker with iso as well.... minor pp work done in picassa.... i've been satisified with the results... i wish, like so many others, that i/we had the time to process raw images..... but honestly, given the constraints on my time, not a pragmatic option to date.... but... hoping someday to delve into raw.....
as they say, to each their own..... and beauty is in the eye of the beholder....
i really don't care for the rancor in some of these postings... it's not helpful, to me, as someone still learning, it's counterproductive...... to all, a happy and healthy new year, dave m
12-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I shoot RAW+jpg.

If I happen to get it right the first time, I use the jpeg. If I don't get it right, I have the RAW file with which to make the necessary corrections.

When I shoot a really crappy shot, I keep neither the jpeg nor raw file.