Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 Catch in Focus ... what am I doing wrong?

Let' start with ...

A few weeks back, I tried the catch-in-focus option for my K20D: everything worked great, as explained in the manual and here of several threads/posts.

Tonight, I decided to give it a go with the K7, basically the same method as the K20D. Read the K7 manual, page 128 and followed step by step everything.

Well ... now everytime I depress the shutter, it takes the picture(s) even if I am not in the Catch in Focus zone! I tried it again on the K20D ... same thing is happening!??
What the heck am I doing wrong here?

Lenses used: DA*16-50 and a manual Zeiss 85/1.4 on both cameras.
Done inside: low lighting conditions but at f1.4, the shutter speed was at 1/40s.
Focus confirmation beep and green hexagon come on.

I am sure I am doing something wrong but I just can't pinpoint it.
Help!

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 12-28-2009 at 09:19 PM.
12-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
set the AF lever to AF-S for the "manual focus" lens.

if you set it to Manual focus, it would fire regardless if it's not in focus.
12-29-2009, 07:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
set the AF lever to AF-S for the "manual focus" lens.

if you set it to Manual focus, it would fire regardless if it's not in focus.
Hi Pentaxor,
I did that: lever to AF-S.
Still does not work.

JP
12-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hi Pentaxor,
I did that: lever to AF-S.
Still does not work.

JP

try to clean the camera mount and the lens mount (including the contacts). if it doesn't work, try another manual focus lens and see if it works. also set the focal length for the manual focus lens. I had a situation where a particular manual focus lens doesn't work with catch-in-focus. only that particular lens(not a Zeiss).

12-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
try to clean the camera mount and the lens mount (including the contacts). if it doesn't work, try another manual focus lens and see if it works. also set the focal length for the manual focus lens. I had a situation where a particular manual focus lens doesn't work with catch-in-focus. only that particular lens(not a Zeiss).
Yeah, well ... the contacts are sparkling clean, and I did try on a DA*16-50 as well: this is a lens I used in my previously successful attempt with Catch-in-focus, but this time it doesn't want to work ... on either lenses.

Because I tried with both the K20D and the K7, with both lenses (Zeiss manual and DA*16-50), I am quite sure that the problem must be me!
But I have no idea what I am doing wrong this time.

As I mentioned: the set up is exactly (?) as explained in the manual but when I press the shutter, it takes the picture(s) even if it is not in focus yet. That shouldn't happen until the subject is right in focus, then the camera would snap the shot (using the catch-in-focus setting).

I thought at first that the new grip on the K7 was causing problems, but I removed it and tried again to no avail.
I also tought that the K20D was not set up properly, so I repeated the procedure, and it still is not working.

Anyway, I will just let it be for a while and try again later .... maybe my brains are fried because of the Holiday Season.

JP
12-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter

JP, this sounds familiar. Every time again, I have to figure out how it all works. Although I don't have a K-7, and only a K20d, this is the check-list I use:

- set catch in focus ON (menu item C34 in the K20d)
- mount a MF lens
- set AF-S on

Then it works. If it doesn't: turn the power off, remove the battery for some minutes, insert it again and try again.

Tried it on my camera 30 secs ago, and it works (with the A 28/2.8).

If it doesn't work.... don't know, it should be. But again: every now and then it does not work...
12-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
JP, this sounds familiar. Every time again, I have to figure out how it all works. Although I don't have a K-7, and only a K20d, this is the check-list I use:

- set catch in focus ON (menu item C34 in the K20d)
- mount a MF lens
- set AF-S on

How important is it to set the catch-in-focus first, then mount the lens? Maybe that is where I goofed?
Would you mount the lens when the camera is "off" ? That would be usually the way to do things, right?

Then it works. If it doesn't: turn the power off, remove the battery for some minutes, insert it again and try again.

That is a good idea. It may help.

Tried it on my camera 30 secs ago, and it works (with the A 28/2.8).

If it doesn't work.... don't know, it should be. But again: every now and then it does not work...
Thanks for the reply, Rense.

JP
12-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Tried catch in focus yesterday with my K-7, without any luck!
Thought I should ask Rense someday about it.

But now it seems to work fine with my M 50mm/F1.7 (I am not sure which lens I tried yesterday).
The only thing I did was put Catch-in-focus on (C5 35), put a manual lens on, lever to AF-S.
Only shoots now when it's in focus, just like it should!

12-29-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Thanks for the reply, Rense.

JP
You're welcome! I don't know how important it is to turn on CIF first. I can imagine it doesn't matter at all.... . And I try to change lenses only with the power off, because I read something about the sensor being electrostatically loaded when the camera is on, and thus attracting dust. But....sometimes, when I have to change fast, I just forget....

Iris, I noticed that it doesn't work with M42 lenses. But you did not try that yesterday, did you (sorry, days are so resembling each other, don't know what I did myself today and yesterday....)?
12-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Iris, I noticed that it doesn't work with M42 lenses. But you did not try that yesterday, did you (sorry, days are so resembling each other, don't know what I did myself today and yesterday....)?
No it doesn't work with M42 lenses....I tried that twenty minutes ago (before testing the M 50mm/F1.7).
Yesterday I did not have the converter ring yet...so I could not use any M42 lens at all.
12-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Problem solved!!

Everything is working perfectly and ... ((Please hold your laughs for a while)) ...

the error was definitely of human nature, hence, myself.

I normally do not use the shutter button for the AF, rather I use the AF "button" which is much better when I go out to do some wildlife/bird/nature shots -- 99% of all my photos.
So ... I had this left "on" and of course the catch-in-focus option requires to use the shutter button only. If you have this AF button "on" in the custom menu and try to use CIF, forget it!

It is going to be tough getting use to the shutter button again, but only when using my manual lens with CIF. Now, I will have to remember to set it back to my normal use when I go out again.
Can this CIF business be stored in the USER function? Wondering.

Anyway, it is working and I want to thank all of you who took the time to reply to my stupid question.

JP
12-29-2009, 12:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Problem solved!!

Everything is working perfectly and ... ((Please hold your laughs for a while)) ...

the error was definitely of human nature, hence, myself.

Anyway, it is working and I want to thank all of you who took the time to reply to my stupid question.

JP
Very nice to have someone asking "stupid" questions , this way we all can learn faster

Thanks
12-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Very nice to have someone asking "stupid" questions , this way we all can learn faster

Thanks

Good to hear your problem is solved JP!
12-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
NetUser, Rense, Pentaxor, Iris ...
Thanks again!
Yessirs, I have learned most of my photo-related technicalities right here on this forum and some from another forum (which I won't mention).
It is with the help of many members here, like you's, that I can navigate through those DSLR's, having been accustomed to the ol' days of film cameras.

Cheers!

JP
12-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

You're welcome! I don't know how important it is to turn on CIF first. I can imagine it doesn't matter at all.... . And I try to change lenses only with the power off, because I read something about the sensor being electrostatically loaded when the camera is on, and thus attracting dust. But....sometimes, when I have to change fast, I just forget....

what I'm worried about if removing the lenses while the camera is still on would fry or short-out the electronic circuitry of the camera. since I usually put the camera on stand-by or sleep mode, I sometimes assume that the camera is turned off. I would then later would be surprised to find out that the camera is on when the lights turned on as well. so far my main concern is the AF screwdrive motor which I'm still a bit worried if it's functionality was affected by a defective lens. hope not.