Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Q regarding shutter button on K200D

Hi,

I've used a Pentax K200D for almost a year now and I absolutely love it.

The one thing that drives me nuts is when I'm autofocusing on someone/thing and I have the shutter button pressed halfway down to focus, the hexagon symbol flashes and for a second or two I repeatedly press the shutter button down all the way and still no shutter actuation (usually in lower light situations, but I can see what I want is in focus - the lens is done searching). The lens will then again start searching and then re-adjust will be finally be ready for a photo.

When I use other cameras, say a Canon 7D, as soon as you press the shutter all the way down, a picture is taken (in autofocus mode) even if it hasnít had time to focus yet.

My issue is that I was the priority to take the picture right away. I wouldnít be pressing the shutter button down all the way if I wasnít ready for the picture, now would I?

Iím curious to know if thereís any way around this other than shooting in manual focus, which gives immediate feedback.

Thank you in advance.
--

Also, does the K-7 or K20D respond like the Canon pro models do? I.e. shutter feedback is immediate, regardless of focus?

12-29-2009, 04:42 PM   #2

I see the same issue with my k200D. Usually in indoor, low-light locations with a nearby subject. Lens choice doesn't seem to matter. I usually have to alter the shot slightly to get the AF to engage, and then re-compose back to my original shot. I hope someone else has a better answer.
12-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ahh, exactly part of the issue!

Somebody... anybody?

(enter Marc Sabatella with the answer)
12-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you use AF-C, the shutter will work when you press it. Just make sure your focus is right before pushing the button all the way.

12-29-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
If you use AF-C, the shutter will work when you press it. Just make sure your focus is right before pushing the button all the way.
Thanks Yves, is a complete override possible? I do find myself using AF.S quite often.
12-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you configure the OK-button to deactivate AF, the camera will be in MF mode as long as you press OK-button.
12-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
Forum Member

AF of the K200D sucks. I've missed many shots of my daughter due to it refusing to lock focus. Even in moderately lit situations if the object of focus is low in contrast it sometimes refuses to lock focus. My new K-X is a big improvement in that department over the K200D.
12-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Conan Quote
AF of the K200D sucks. I've missed many shots of my daughter due to it refusing to lock focus. Even in moderately lit situations if the object of focus is low in contrast it sometimes refuses to lock focus. My new K-X is a big improvement in that department over the K200D.
The K20D's are the same.

It's a pain in the ass, and my work around has been to half press again and again to reset the AF system. However... the solution I found was to get a katzeye and be done with it. The only thing the split prism doesn't help with is focus trap to which the AF confirm seems to work much better on moving subjects that static ones.

12-30-2009, 04:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I've had this happen with my K200D as well, also generally in low light situations. It is certainly annoying, but it does not happen all that often in reality. My 2 main gripes with my K200D are the AF system and the noise above say 800 iso. I know these 2 issues would be cured by the K-x, but I am having a very hard time spending the money on a K-x when my K200 is such a darn good camera otherwise, with certain features that the K-x doesn't have, and without being convinced that the K-x can match the actual picture quality of the K200 at lower iso. Now, if the K-7 could drop to about $700 or less, then I'd be all over that (pipe dream it seems for the time being).
12-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
I've had this happen with my K200D as well, also generally in low light situations. It is certainly annoying, but it does not happen all that often in reality. My 2 main gripes with my K200D are the AF system and the noise above say 800 iso. I know these 2 issues would be cured by the K-x, but I am having a very hard time spending the money on a K-x when my K200 is such a darn good camera otherwise, with certain features that the K-x doesn't have, and without being convinced that the K-x can match the actual picture quality of the K200 at lower iso. Now, if the K-7 could drop to about $700 or less, then I'd be all over that (pipe dream it seems for the time being).
My thoughts exactly... a 3.0" LCD (920k dots) would be nice too...
12-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
..oh and as Yves said, AF-C is definitely the best way around this, otherwise it's true... you have to reset the autofocus over and over by pressing halfway, releasing, pressing halfway... and it goes on.

but I love the k200d too much.
12-31-2009, 10:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
If you configure the OK-button to deactivate AF, the camera will be in MF mode as long as you press OK-button.
That's what I do all the time. Half press first to ask the camera to focus, put my thumb on OK, fine tune manually if necessary, then shoot away as much as I like with no further re-focusing. This is the same basic technique I'd expect to use with any camera.
12-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
That's what I do all the time. Half press first to ask the camera to focus, put my thumb on OK, fine tune manually if necessary, then shoot away as much as I like with no further re-focusing. This is the same basic technique I'd expect to use with any camera.
Is this feature available on the K200D or just on K20D and K-7?
12-31-2009, 02:58 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use it on my K200D, and it was also on the K100D and *istDS before that. On cameras with an AF button, that's the button you can customize for this purpose; otherwise, it's usually the OK button. Not sure about K-m or K-x, but imagine they have a button that can be customized to do this too.
12-31-2009, 03:13 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
On K-m/K-x it is the AF/AE-L button you can use for this.
But it is not usable with the DAL kit lenses that are missing quick-shift focus.