Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2007, 04:57 AM   #1
Inactive Account

two questions about raw with my k100d

Hi !,

I'm a new user of this great board, my name is Benjamin and I'm a French owner of a K100D.

I have two questions about RAW files.

First, i want to know if the choice of space color on the camera is important or if it is just a tag without a real limitation of available colors, when i shot in RAW. If i choose sRGB color space on my K100D, is it a good thing to take AdobeRGB for output color space in camera raw ?

My second question is about the difference between appearance of a RAW file when I open it with camera raw and pentax photo laboratory. Without any correction and with natural tone selected in laboratory (default setting in ACR), the picture seems to be more bright in pentax laboratory than camera raw(and bibble too). Does pentax laboratory apply a non-linear curve at the opening ?

Thanks a lot for your future answers

Regards, Ben

06-18-2007, 05:59 AM   #2
Inactive Account

When you choose RAW you effectively ignore all other settings regarding the image. Choosing sRGB or Adobe RGB in addition to RAW changes nothing. In RAW, the camera actually captures more colour than Adobe RGB. From everything I've read ProPhoto RGB is the best choice of working space but there isn't a monitor in the world that can show that much colour.

For some more information take a look at this site.

I don't know about your RAW conversion discrepancies. It probably has something to do with the fancy algorithms or some other big words I don't actually understand!
06-18-2007, 07:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benj007 Quote
My second question is about the difference between appearance of a RAW file when I open it with camera raw and pentax photo laboratory. Without any correction and with natural tone selected in laboratory (default setting in ACR), the picture seems to be more bright in pentax laboratory than camera raw(and bibble too). Does pentax laboratory apply a non-linear curve at the opening ?
The default settings are different.
If you want to get the jpg exactly the way your camera would generate it, you have to use PPL.
I can recommend PPL. It generally gives the best results. I have tested this for quite some time now and almost always get better results from PPL. A few times I was able to get better results from ACR.
ACR has more options and has a better workflow, but I would always check your RAW file in PPL, too, and compare the result to that from ACR.
06-18-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
Forum Member

Benjamin,

Take a look at Silkypix. SILKYPIX Developer Studio. demo available.
I've used Bibble and ACR. Both are great programs but I prefer Silkypix DS 3.0.
I too have noticed quite a difference in color rendering between these converters. I like the results I get with SP DS3 and it is so much faster than working with PPL.

Chuck

06-18-2007, 09:34 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photo Lab uses the same prefs as the camera so the images open up as if you had used jpeg instead of RAW. I believe that includes adding a curve. Kind of handy, unless you have no intention of using those prefs.

I love the new ACR4/4.1, also available in Lightroom. Great control and easy to use.
06-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks !

Chuck lee -> silkypix looks so great ! I will use it tomorrow to discover all the setting.

In Bibble, I love the Andy Black and white plugin. Does somebody know an other tool to make BW with a paper and film simulation like this ?

Thanks !