Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2007, 06:02 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K10D AE lock question

Any way I can set the camera to lock exposure with the shutter release without also locking auto focus? I can lock both with the Custom settings. But if I set the lens to manual focus (which I prefer) the AE lock is disabled.

I know I can do it with the AE lock button but that forces me to hold the camera awkwardly and uncomfortably.

I do a lot of static street landscapes. I first focus the lens manually, then I re-frame to pick a metering (center weighted) area, lock exposure, re-frame, and shoot.

I know I can set the mode to "M", but then I hate to be fiddling with two dials, one for the ss and one for the f/stop.

By the way, I absolutely hate the thousands of possible options this and other modern digital SLRs allow. I'm thoroughly confused. I'm from the old Pentax K1000school, I guess.

Thanks for your help.

06-18-2007, 10:53 AM   #2

AFAIK you can change the focus manually after the camera gets focus lock. So even if you reframe and get AE lock (and do metering some other direction), then reframe again - you can still alter the focus position by just twisting the focus ring. Because the camera still has lock, you can shoot even if the camera is in AF-S mode.

I hope this does help a bit :-) It could be that I am just misinterpreting the question, if so by all means correct me!

Also, it does depends on the lens you have. I do know that the DA 16-45 and the DA 18-55 have this option (it's called hyper-manual or something? I'm not sure how they call it. It just means you can instant-change the focus even after camera has got AF lock, and it won't refocus if you shoot and it sees it doesn't have AF lock anymore).
06-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobjames Quote
By the way, I absolutely hate the thousands of possible options this and other modern digital SLRs allow. I'm thoroughly confused. I'm from the old Pentax K1000school, I guess.
Be happy!
The K10D does not have the option you requested.
06-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi,

Maybe I misunderstood and sorry for that, but you can lock the exposure (AE-L) and then recompose and refocus your frame. Well, I tested just few seconds ago. Like 'barendvl' mentioned after focusing (or refocusing) you can manually change the focus. This works for DA lenses and manual & A-lenses, maybe for FA lenses too, but I do not have those.

To measure the exposure and lock it, you do not have to have a correct focus. The measurement is not dependent on focus ... as far as I know ;-)

06-18-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kurt Quote
Hi,

Maybe I misunderstood and sorry for that, but you can lock the exposure (AE-L) and then recompose and refocus your frame. Well, I tested just few seconds ago. Like 'barendvl' mentioned after focusing (or refocusing) you can manually change the focus. This works for DA lenses and manual & A-lenses, maybe for FA lenses too, but I do not have those.

To measure the exposure and lock it, you do not have to have a correct focus. The measurement is not dependent on focus ... as far as I know ;-)

I'm shooting with a Tamron SP zoom - if I set it to auto-focus I can't budge the focusing ring manually.
06-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey bob,
I think M mode would be easiest, just set aperture you want and use green button to find shutter speed. It won't change unless you want it to.
06-18-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Tom has the right idea. In the custom functions where it says "Green button in TAv & M" to option 2, Tv shift, so that your aperture doesn't change. Simple touch of the green button sets the shutter speed and nothing will change until you tell it to.
06-18-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Tom has the right idea. In the custom functions where it says "Green button in TAv & M" to option 2, Tv shift, so that your aperture doesn't change. Simple touch of the green button sets the shutter speed and nothing will change until you tell it to.
Yes, I think that'll work for me. I didn't even know the green button existed (what else don't I know??). I'll do it the other way around, though, set it to option 3 to fix the shutter speed (I'm shooting handheld) and change the aperture.

Thank you all!

06-18-2007, 06:03 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Glad to help.
06-19-2007, 12:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yes, I think that'll work for me. I didn't even know the green button existed
Two comments:
1. There's not much difference to press the green button or the AE-L button.
2. In M you do not have EV-compensation.
06-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #11

Yes, I think that'll work for me. I didn't even know the green button existed (what else don't I know??). I'll do it the other way around, though, set it to option 3 to fix the shutter speed (I'm shooting handheld) and change the aperture.

Thank you all!
Lame as this may sound, the green button is one of the reasons I bought a K10D - that and the funky modes like TAv which I really find useful. Genius in fact.
06-19-2007, 08:24 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Two comments:
1. There's not much difference to press the green button or the AE-L button.
2. In M you do not have EV-compensation.
1. Actually yes there is. I, for one, am left eyed. This means that my right thumb has to stay out of my noses way. Much easier to reach the green button for me.

2. Actually yes you do. Manual is the original EV compensation. Turn either dial and you have compensated the EV.
06-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
2. Actually yes you do. Manual is the original EV compensation. Turn either dial and you have compensated the EV.
Well, ok, this is certainly possible, but you have to dial this in for every image anew. If you have e.g. a lens that needs -0.7 EV as a constant, this is a problem.
06-20-2007, 07:46 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Well, ok, this is certainly possible, but you have to dial this in for every image anew. If you have e.g. a lens that needs -0.7 EV as a constant, this is a problem.
That is an excellent point. I don't have a lens that makes me do that so I have not run accross it, but it does happen. The OP was about shooting static street scenes so having to set it anew wouldn't be a problem.
06-20-2007, 11:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I can't get your question as you say you use MF, so the AE-lock and AF lock (with AE lock enabled altogether) with the shutter release button will be irrelevant for your case, as it will not affect the MF anyway.

Also, the AE-L button doe shave a timer. You need not to hold it all the time before taking the shot.

Any way I can set the camera to lock exposure with the shutter release without also locking auto focus? I can lock both with the Custom settings. But if I set the lens to manual focus (which I prefer) the AE lock is disabled.

I know I can do it with the AE lock button but that forces me to hold the camera awkwardly and uncomfortably.

I do a lot of static street landscapes. I first focus the lens manually, then I re-frame to pick a metering (center weighted) area, lock exposure, re-frame, and shoot.

I know I can set the mode to "M", but then I hate to be fiddling with two dials, one for the ss and one for the f/stop.

Thanks for your help.