Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
k7 vs k-x

This is only my second post here, so I apologize if this issue has been addressed, but I have a problem that somebody may be able to help with.

I purchased a K7, 55-300, battery grip and other accessories about a month ago. I loved the camera, so much I bought a white k-x for my wife for Christmas. In teaching her to use it, I've found that it exceeds the capabilities of my k7, so much in fact I'm thinking of selling my k7 and getting a k-x, unless I can get better hi-iso performance from it.

The k-x is unbelievable. I can't believe these aren't sold out and on back order for years. I wanted to show her the hi-iso function, and assumed the k-x would not be as good as the k7, but more wrong I could not have been. I started wondering if I could take a k-x sensor out and put it in a k7. To me, iso 12800 looks like 400 asa film, from the kx. The k7 to me is unusable at 6400, and marginal at 3200.

Whatever Pentax did in the few months between releasing the k7 and the k-x is shocking. It's also a sore point for me. Don't get me wrong, the k7 is great in many ways. I did a lot of research before buying. I own a Canon A1 and Sony f828, and have always been pleased with those cameras. However, the k-x actually focuses faster than the k7, has a unique 'cross-processing' function, and uses AA batteries (which may or may not be appealing to some).

Could I be doing something wrong or could there be something wrong with my k7 in respect to hi-iso? Does anyone think Pentax has a fix, or update for this issue?

I recommend taking a look at the k-x hi-iso pictures if you can. I'll try to upload some samples. I've taken side-by-side photo's with both, and can't believe the difference.

I don't want to seem childish about this, but when you pay over twice as much for a camera, you expect more.

I picked up the k-x (and k7) online at Amazon. Both great deals. I'm a knowledgeable amateur, studying to be more.

Thanks...

12-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #2

I would suggest you switching cameras with your wife for a while. If you don't miss K-7, just sell it.
12-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #3

it's the JPEG engine. Shoot in RAW and do a little noise reduction, then the results are a bit closer.

The K-x is better, though.
12-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Snydly... There are two reasons the K-x has superior high ISO performance compared to the K-7. First, the K-x comes with a new (to Pentax) Sony sensor that is less prone to noise than the Samsung sensor used in the K-7. Second, the in-camera processing (for jpgs) in the K-x is a lot more aggressive in terms of working against noise at high ISOs. That's a good thing if you shoot at high ISOs a lot.

But the K-7 is a fine photographic tool nonetheless and offers superior control to experienced photographers, better resolution and better image quality at low ISOs - which is where most professionals will be working most of the time. And don't forget the K-7's weather resistance for outdoor use (where, again, lower ISOs tend to be used).

There is nothing really wrong with K-7... other than it was introduced before the K-x and has a sensor that is a bit older and has more megapixels (which tend to add to noise at high ISOs). Technology moves quickly these days. Meanwhile, the aggressive anti-noise measures used in the K-x come at a cost in terms in detail preservation in images, therefore the K-7 defaults to a lighter approach. However, I will say the K-x manages to strike a nice balance between noise control and detail preservation.

It's all a matter of your own personal needs and priorities. I agree with sbbtim... swap cameras with your wife for a while. If you don't miss the K-7, sell it and buy a K-x. But it may take more than a few days - or even a few weeks - to make that determination.

12-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Someone pleas emake it stop .... please. Will it ever end?
12-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Someone pleas emake it stop .... please. Will it ever end?
not until we get 1,000,000 ISO
12-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-x is only better at one thing, better jpeg image in camera.

K-7 is better in all the rest. So if you can process raw files stick with the k-7.

I suggest you use ALL features in your k-7 and after that, think about the return... or not
I shoot raw+, I take the jpegs that are exactly as I want and I process the raw files for the other ones I want.

Think about it.

12-30-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think that I could use a kx on a consistent basis. Whether the high iso is better, the lack of buttons and two dials would really bother me. There is so much more ability to customize things on the K20/K7, as mentioned above, shoot with the kx for a couple of weeks and see if you miss the features on the K7. If not, sell it and get a kx.
12-30-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hah! I think you answered your own question. You seems to be very happy with the K-x and find the k-7 less appealing, so don't you think it's time to sell the K-7 and get the K-x. You can get the K-x for about $550, why don't you sell the k-7 at the marketplace and keep the change.
12-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #10

Original Poster
Looks like I struck a nerve. Like I said, maybe I should've looked around before posting. Looks like a well worn subject by the responses...

Anyway, most of what I posted was rambling; thanks to those who answered my questions...

I went to my local (and only) photo store here today and put on an old promaster 100-300 f5 lens, shot in 3200 and the shots looked great. WB off inside the store, but overall pretty uniform grain. That's mainly what I'm concerned about. I just don't like the large yellow and blue chunks @ iso 6400. Color seems very true, and vivid, but it's the same in the k-x.

I have four old Sony's from 4mp to 8mp and when I look back at those pics they were beautiful. I'm sure I'll feel the same when viewing the K7's.

I too like the pro feel and function of the k7. I was just shocked, and happy for my wife that my decision to avoid the big 2 (3 if you count Sony) was a good one.

I like the underdog... I don't ride a Harley... Nothing wrong if you do...
12-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #11
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Snydly, I went through a similar choice (K-x or K-7) a month ago. I bought the K-7 and I do not regret it. Many other forum discussers gave you some excellent advice on why the K-7 is such an outstanding and superior camera: I fully agree with them.

Personnally I love the K-7 for the weather-resistance, the superb viewfinder and its high continuous-shooting rate. The K-x (and other Canikons) could not match the K-7 on any of these features, and these justified easily my decision. I have no regret and you should not...

Last edited by hcc; 12-30-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: typos
12-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks hcc.

I agree. It will just make me a better photographer in low light situations. You couldn't pry the k7 out of my hands...
12-31-2009, 12:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote
I recommend taking a look at the k-x hi-iso pictures if you can. I'll try to upload some samples. I've taken side-by-side photo's with both, and can't believe the difference.
Also, try scaling down K-7's images to the size of k-x's images. The matter at hand is the signal-to-noise ratio. K-7 has more noise, but it also produces more signal. There still will be a difference in perceivable IQ, but perhaps, a slightly smaller one.
12-31-2009, 01:31 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Also, try scaling down K-7's images to the size of k-x's images. The matter at hand is the signal-to-noise ratio. K-7 has more noise, but it also produces more signal. There still will be a difference in perceivable IQ, but perhaps, a slightly smaller one.
Do you mean set lower mp?

If so, that's a good idea. I'll try that.

I tried some unique exposures last night. I photographed a group of homes behind mine that have tin rooves. The moonlight reflected off them, and I tried bulb mode, and hdr2. I'll see if I can post them. Noise seemed fine there.
12-31-2009, 01:36 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote
Do you mean set lower mp?
No. Resize the pics from your K-7 in a computer. Make them have the same pixels as those in K-x