Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
K-7 extreme noise already at 400 ISO

Hi guys,

I'm having a big issue with color noise already at 400 ISO, I thought it is a flaw of th Pentax K-7 as a brand, but from what I see here it is probably just a problem of my camera. To be more specific, I have worse noise at 400 ISO then is on GoremanX's photo at ISO 3200. I shoot only to raw, using DNG, and opening in Photoshop CS2, I have firmware 1.3. Do you think this can be caused by faulty or defective chip? Thank you for your help.
Eva

07-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #17
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eweliyi Quote
Hi guys,

I'm having a big issue with color noise already at 400 ISO, I thought it is a flaw of th Pentax K-7 as a brand, but from what I see here it is probably just a problem of my camera. To be more specific, I have worse noise at 400 ISO then is on GoremanX's photo at ISO 3200. I shoot only to raw, using DNG, and opening in Photoshop CS2, I have firmware 1.3. Do you think this can be caused by faulty or defective chip? Thank you for your help.
Eva
The latest K-7 firmware is 1.03 (not 1.3).

What lens did you use ?

What mode was the dial ? Green, P, Tv .. ?

Could you post some example ?
07-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #18

It is doing it with every lens I have. Mode is Manual. And I will post some better examples once I get home, but here is one, I have online. Look only on the face, rest is artificially blured, because it was unbearable and I didn't have time to reshoot. this is with 400 ISO

World is only confusing when you believe it has to make sense on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
07-23-2010, 12:07 AM   #19
Veteran Member

that looks underexposed.

07-23-2010, 12:46 AM   #20

It is darkened so the noise wouldn't be so obvious, I wanted to cover it up, this is not an example picture of the noise, but it is the only one I have online. I will add comparison pictures of few ISO settings tonight, once I get home from work.
07-23-2010, 05:55 AM   #21

Now I'm home and I am so embarased, but happy. After you told me, that it looks underexposed it started to run around my head and I got home and did some test shots, with different ISO and also exposures. I have to admit I always shoot a bit underexpose, habit from landscapes, because of the usually overexposed sky when exposure set exact. It never mattered with lower ISO, so it didn't cross my mind that the lettle undereposure can be the root cause of the problems with high ISO noise. Today I learned that with high ISO every bit matters the world. I am now happier then ever that my beloved K-7 is even better then I ever thought. All hail to PENTAX.
Gah! I just made a complete ass out of myself here, didn't I? But as we say in Czech, people can make mistakes only idiots do not learn from them
Thank you for the tiny kick in my butt which got me to the right direction

I proudly present my first non grainy non noisy ISO 640 self portrait
my lips are sealed... on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
07-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #22
Inactive Account

I own the K-7 and the Kx. As a wildlife shooter. I can tell you i very rarely use the K-7. The Kx produces the nicest photos and handles noise at a level you need no post processing. I have many examples.
The K20 is also better suited for this kind of work. I process all RAW with no noise supression in body. That is because i want DETAIL. Pentax really got this backwards. They need the Kx sensor in the k-7 body. If they would of done that the Kx and the K-7 would of been a hugggggge sucess finacially. But as it is the K-7 is a prosummer body with a junk sensor. While the Kx is a basic camera that has a vastly superior sensor.
Many on the board parise the K-7. If you want detail at high IS0 use the K-x. I personally think the K-7 is pretty much junk for any sports or wildlife shooting.
I have high hopes for the next DSLR from Pentax. But this time I will wait and go over the test results before i buy. This is just lunacy in management.
Management is deffinately out to lunch on this one.
Now I can get some high noise pics with the K-7 with proper exposure and proper lighting. But wildlife doesn't stop to pose for you. And the Kx just produces day in and day out. It is amazing.

Last edited by gary1952; 07-29-2010 at 09:28 PM.
07-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
And for those interested, this is the picture that the above crops were taken from (with Fine Sharpness disabled). I just shot it real quick on my desk as an example, it's not meant to be photographic art.
Your art grant's in the mail.

Question, how much fine sharpness did you have set? I have mine 1 right of center. Did you have yours set more?
08-01-2010, 07:05 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
In my opinion, the Fine Sharpness 2 setting tends to sharpen noise as well as details.
[...]
Notice how Fine Sharpness 2 has really brought out the noise.
In an ideal world, the camera's settings would let you have different default settings for different ISO ranges.
08-02-2010, 02:19 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
I think over exposing the image wasn't a good idea. Almost any dslr will get good pictures at high iso if overexposed or when the scene is light properly.

The problem with high iso is when taking normal or underexposed shots in poor light.
Agree.