Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Triggering 2 flashes at once w/ sync cables?

Hi,

I have a K20 & want to trigger both my Metz 58 & Vivitar 285HV off camera. I will be using both flashes in manual mode. I have a hot shoe adapter w/ a sync port for the camera (& another for the Metz). Is it ok for me to trigger one flash via the port on the side of the camera & the other from the hot shoe adapter on top of the camera at the same time? I wanted to be sure so I don't fry something

Thanks!

George

12-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

This is a recipe for disaster. Get an optical slave for one of the flashes.
12-30-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Or get a cheap set of eBay wireless triggers. Don't have to worry about trigger voltages and no hassles with wires. Has its own set of quirks, though.

- Jason
12-30-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've been looking at the CyberSyncs but I wanted to try the setup w/ what I already had. So is this not recommended? Will 2 flashes try to pull more current than the camera can provide?

George

12-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Disclaimer: my advice is worth exactly how much you pay for it, and your mileage may vary.

I doubt people crying "disaster" have direct experience.

I did similar thing a few days ago.

I was photographing a Chirstmas Eve party. My setup was a big Sunpak 555 triggered by an optical slave and a Nikon SB-25 attached to a K-7 hotshoe. The light from the Sunpak was bounced off the high ceiling to provide "ambient" light. The light from the Nikon was to provide direct light.

Just before dinner started, someone kicked the light stand of the Sunpak. The Sunpak survived the crash, but the optical slave did not.

I replaced the optical slave by a receiver from a cheapo set of Cactus V1 (I normally don't use it because of its unreliability). The Cactus transmitter was triggered by the PC port of the K-7. The SB-25 was still attached to the K-7's hotshoe.

Except for some misfires of the Sunpak, things worked out OK that evening.
12-31-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. So you took a bunch of shots & all was well w/ the K7?

George