Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #1

is the k-7 worth and extra $700

okay so i have a k200d I bought when I getting into digital and not sure how much I'd get into it. 1 1/2 years later, it's my life and I am semi pro. Most of the money I made went into buying lenses, flashes, carbon fiber tripod, etc. I shoot in manual 100% of the time and find myself needed the external adjustments. Had my eye on the k-7 but got laid off from my job and haven't been getting any more freelance work since winter started. I found I can get a refurbed k10d for under $400. I found a new a k-7 for $1050 with shipping which seems to be a steal. Not sure if this camera will get much cheaper than that. does anyone feel it's worth that much more for the price considering i have all the lenses i'll prob need already. Saying that cause ppl say get the cheaper body and get a better lens but not an issue for me. I do like the idea of the focus assist as i primarily use off camera lighting. currently my wireless trigger prevents the use of the k200d focus assist which is the pop up flash. Would I use video if i had it? sure, prob but not that important. Might be nice at wedding? any other things I may not be considering?

12-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K7 worth it?

Well I have owned one for about 3 weeks now and one of the features I really like is the built in HDR function which works very well. The build quality is also great. I have seen slightly used ones going for less than 900.00 for the body so if your not in a hurry I bet by late spring early summer you will be able to pick one up for around 800.00. I think even at 900.00 it's a deal.
Oh and the auto white balance is spot on!
12-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I owned the k10, k20 and now the k7. I found all of them to be capable performers. The k7 has more features in a compact design and i like this the best of the 3. If you don't need all the k7 features, best buy has refurbished k10s for $379... hard to beat that price/performance ratio.

PENTAX - Factory-Refurbished 10.2-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera - Black - K10D
12-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #4

Original Poster
ivoire, having both cameras k10 and k-7, do you feel the k-7 is worth it? it may have features I haven't considered using but prob would once i have them. I can get the k-7 through amazon for $1060 with no payents for 6 months which works for me as i'll be doing some weddings to maybe justify the costs by then and maybe sell my 200d. Was just thinking how cool it would be to shoot video through my 10-17 fisheye lens? has anyone done this?

12-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
pfcapture, I just received an email alert from Nextag that the K7 body was down to $855.00 at one of the sellers. I just bought mine a month ago for around $1100.00 with a kit lens. Came with a $100.00 rebate and one year to pay, no interest. Got a 55-300 with it for another $100.00 rebate. I believe this is still going on. Also got my wife a white k-x for around $500.00, and they stuck that on the year plan at Amazon.

I really like both these cameras... Lenses are more difficult than I thought to find though.

What kind of photography do you do? I'd love to be a pro, but don't know where to start.
12-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pfcapture Quote
ivoire, having both cameras k10 and k-7, do you feel the k-7 is worth it? it may have features I haven't considered using but prob would once i have them. I can get the k-7 through amazon for $1060 with no payents for 6 months which works for me as i'll be doing some weddings to maybe justify the costs by then and maybe sell my 200d. Was just thinking how cool it would be to shoot video through my 10-17 fisheye lens? has anyone done this?
I upgraded for the feature set and the K7 is excellent. Very usable up to 800 iso and beyond with post processing using topaz denoise, noiseware etc. much better white balance, very quiet shutter (a plus for weddings) faster frame rate, etc. Since the camera pays for itself and more, I have no problem spending to upgrade (i chose pentax for the lens variety and better profit margin). there are a few videos with the k7 and the samyang/rokinon/opteka/etc 8mm fisheye that are quite good. The pentax fisheye should work very well. The 6 month amazon delay plan and price is a definite plus. I buy used when i find excellent deals. New things always have their own charm (plus a warranty. I believe the K7 will give you everything you are looking for based on your post.
12-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #7

Original Poster
yeah, plus i just noticed they have $100 debit card deal if you buy the kit lens with it so it comes out cheaper than getting just thebody and I can sell the lens or sell the old one with my k200d. I'm getting the k-7. I bet once I play with the video, I won't regret it.