Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #16
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I keep reading about the red squares and in-focus confirmation...and it makes me cringe

The red squares light up to let you know what focus point is being used. Focus confirmation is indicated by a green hexagon below the viewfinder. While the red squares might also light up when focus is achieved, the light up at other times too, and should not be used for focus confirmation.

Please share this information so I can stop cringing.

Thank you.

How many times and threads do we have to discuss this? For three years I never used the green hex. I always used the red dot with MF lenses... and I would bet I manually focus as much and probably more as anyone on here. I doubt my keeper rate is any less than those with the "you must use green hex" rule.

So I do miss it in the Kx

But as Marc said, I trust my eyes more than anything so if I got an errant red square...

Now go on.... cringe away

12-31-2009, 03:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
How many times and threads do we have to discuss this? For three years I never used the green hex. I always used the red dot with MF lenses... and I would bet I manually focus as much and probably more as anyone on here. I doubt my keeper rate is any less than those with the "you must use green hex" rule.

But as Marc said, I trust my eyes more than anything so if I got an errant red square...

This is the way I focus too (rely on the eye) and not on the hex.
I seldom notice the hex or just notice it when it prevents me from firing the shutter (as in trap focus).
I actually don't also know what the fuss is about the "hex" and that you should go by it as if it a rule that cannot be broken or that you should always go by it.
Do as you will and go with what you are successful in.
To each his own as they say..like I focus with my left eye, whilst most focus with their right.
If I'm comfortable with my left, why should I let/follow what others say that I should be using my right?
12-31-2009, 04:00 PM   #18
Igilligan

I will be following you with the left eye soon... my right eye has reached the limit of the dioptor adjustment. I got a click or two left on the Left one.
12-31-2009, 04:13 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
...But FWIW, I don't find the green heaxgon more reliably than my eyes - at least not after practice...
I have had the same experience, even with the stock focus screen and even more so with a split image.

Steve

(Waiting for a huge flood of posts from Pentax AF critics...)

12-31-2009, 04:17 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote

We all know that your excellent images are the result of you having sold your soul to the devil in exchange for do-no-wrong skills with a camera regardless of how you use the focus confirm.

Steve
12-31-2009, 04:25 PM   #21
Forum Member

I am NOT bring up the light focus thing to spur yet another debate. The pics posted by Igilligan easily prooves that his method works regardless of how others understand the way camera should function. I bring up using the hex or red focus points in the VF because as I have stated before, I have bad eye sight, new to manual focus and would like some minimal reassurance from the machine it self.

Thanks for the suggestion for my pic, I will find more even contrasted scene for future. I have always want to capture what my eyes see, but am almost always dissapointed when I see the end result. I need to learn how to select scenes.

thanks
12-31-2009, 06:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I actually don't also know what the fuss is about the "hex" and that you should go by it as if it a rule that cannot be broken or that you should always go by it.
I'm not saying the hexagon is a rule to follow. I am saying that when the camera thinks the image is in focus, the green hexagon turns ON. The red square lights up a number of times during focusing, but the hexagon is the way the camera has of telling you it thinks the image is in focus. I am simply trying to avoid headaches for newbies who might think an image is in focus simply because a red square flashed on.

It's also a well-known fact that the camera has a large amount of leeway when it comes to confirming focus (via the green hexagon) with manual focus lenses, which can, and will, lead to out-of-focus images when shooting at wide apertures. It's because of this that people with adequate eyesight will trust their eyes rather than the green hexagon.
01-01-2010, 09:42 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The KX is pretty amazing at high ISO. I often look out a large 2nd story picture window at night. Some times the scene is very beautiful. No way to capture it with camera unless time exposed on tripod. With the K-X hand held, shooting at ISO 12,800, SR, and the 31 LTD at 1.8 it is possible. Getting close to matching the eye in lowlight hand held shooting! Amazing. There are faster lenses too.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #26 WINNERS in compact camera forum. Enter # 27. Any brand camera. Enter now!

01-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #24
Igilligan

Hey thanks to all who stopped by to comment... I am heading into SF tonight to see my guitar players other band... It is sold out so I dont know how close I can get... But I am takin' the Kx anyway...