Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
Igilligan

Iso 6400 on the Kx is a Homerun

So you read about it, and see pics on the forum. But until you actually shoot it in a dim room and see what it does... And look at it on the monitor.

Oh well, I finally got my hands on a K-x for some quick testing. And let me be the first to say... Horrible test shots from the first night you get the camera drive me crazy. Some bad close ups of junk on a table always makes me cringe and think to myself "what is this idiot thinking?" Why would that make anyone want to buy that camera.
"If I had that camera I would wait until I had some really good shots and then post them on the forum!"

so here you go... Nothing but the best for you all.

Iso 6400 jpeg

And the ISO 3200 3D crash

The balance between noise and detail is really good....

12-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Nice. What lens did you use for these shots?

Thanks.
12-31-2009, 02:48 AM   #3
wll
Veteran Member

Is that sensor amazing or what ?

wll
12-31-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by DSLRnoob Quote
Nice. What lens did you use for these shots?

Thanks.
Hey Noob, I was manual focusing the DA 40 to see how the Live view focus w/magnification was. As shown on the baseball it is pretty darn good, you can see the detail of the scratchs on the ball even at ISO 6400!

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Is that sensor amazing or what ?

wll
Yup! You read it... but until you see it on your computer.... WOW is all I can say

Here is a ISO 3200 with the $20 dollar Helios 44M. This was night in our family room dim room light with the TV glow! Look at those eyelashes. ISO 3200

12-31-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
Forum Member

you know, I have seen your posts with pics with different manual lenses and what not, your color and especially focus is to me always spot on. I know from your other posts that you rely on the red mark in the VF to light up. But with k-x not having that, how are you getting such success? You must post your methods and processing!! Well, you don't have to. But, I am begging.

Thanks.
12-31-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by slow2focus Quote
you know, I have seen your posts with pics with different manual lenses and what not, your color and especially focus is to me always spot on. I know from your other posts that you rely on the red mark in the VF to light up. But with k-x not having that, how are you getting such success? You must post your methods and processing!! Well, you don't have to. But, I am begging.

Thanks.
first you are too kind... second. you all only see the good ones!!! And that is an important fact!

But with these shots I was playing with Live view focus on the Kx... when you click LV you see the scene on the LCD, but as you click the info button the LV is magnified/zoomed in on the subject so you can make some critical focus adjustments. I zoomed in on the eyelashes on that last IS0 3200 shot and it really helped nail it.

I did LV focus on the K20 for longer shots but the KX live view is hands down clearer when zoomed in.

Having said all that, with the old mf lenses your were limited to center point AF on the K100/K20 anyway so not having the red dot is not entirely problematic, as the Kx still has the green hex and clunk sound when you hit focus.

Here are some with the Nikkor 105 that I shot in the backyard;
I love what the nikkor does to the OOF area

12-31-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
(let me just say that I'm pretty sure Gus sold a couple K-x's to Nikonians by posting these shots in the Nikon forum )

12-31-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
Forum Member

here is mine test shot @3200 f2.8 35mm 'A' lens cropped 100%. No where near as clear as yours... Makes me think my camera is defective...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
K-x  Photo 
12-31-2009, 02:13 PM   #9

I don't think he cropped his pictures, looks resized but I could be wrong.
Anyway, my cropped pictures, from 2 different k-xs, are just like yours at about 3 meters at 50mm without flash.
12-31-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
here is mine test shot @3200 f2.8 35mm 'A' lens cropped 100%. No where near as clear as yours... Makes me think my camera is defective...
That's because you're pixel peeping. Don't do the 100% crop. Resize so the image is smaller to upload. Resizing is one of the most effective postprocessing techniques...
12-31-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
Igilligan

They are so right...

Mine are not 100% crops... they would not look so good.

A few are cropped a bit for composition, but for the most part you are looking at resized for forum shots.

I doubt those ISO 6400 shots of mine would look too good at 100% crop.

I am not a 100% cropper / Peeper for the most part... I have on occasion cropped macro shots down to the 100% level, but those are usually at ISO 100 so they hold up well.
12-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
Forum Member

Thanks all. I am still new. Don't really like to peep. Takes too much time and effort. I am just checking/learning how to 'view' an image taken. Here is the same shot resized but not cropped in picasa to 640 pixels. Please pardon the mess
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
K-x  Photo 
12-31-2009, 02:58 PM   #13
Igilligan

Well part of the problem with your shot is the strong backlight coming from the window... That will zap the life from the subject pretty quick.

I tried a quick bump in contast and highlights in Picasa just to try and bring out the colors of the box and floor a bit... but the back light really kills the ability to PP much. It starts to blow out the white in the subject when you push much. But in more even lighting the quick contrast / level boost and a tiny sharpen after resize will help pop the shots

12-31-2009, 03:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I know from your other posts that you rely on the red mark in the VF to light up. But with k-x not having that, how are you getting such success?
I keep reading about the red squares and in-focus confirmation...and it makes me cringe

The red squares light up to let you know what focus point is being used. Focus confirmation is indicated by a green hexagon below the viewfinder. While the red squares might also light up when focus is achieved, the light up at other times too, and should not be used for focus confirmation.

Please share this information so I can stop cringing.

Thank you.

12-31-2009, 03:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Right. Not having the red lights *in no way* affect manual focus with manual lenses. The only light would ever light up would be the center one, so it tells you *nothing* you didn't already know. When the green hexagon lights up, *that's* how the camera tells you when focus has been achieved. The red light does *not* - it just tells you *where* it is *trying* to achieve focus, and we already know that - it's the center, period.

But FWIW, I don't find the green heaxgon more reliably than my eyes - at least not after practice.