Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-7: reviewing images on LCD?

I've been giving the K-7 a serious look for a new DSLR. Today I got to hold and use one in a store for the first time.

One thing I noticed immediately when using it is that there was a pretty long delay between taking a photo and having it appear for review on the LCD display. Several times I actually counted off to see how long it was, and if I started counting after I brought the camera down from my eyes, I could unhurriedly count "one one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand" before the image would appear. For comparison's sake, on a similar Nikon or Canon the LCD review image appears even before I finish bringing the camera down from my eyes.

Is this the normal behavior of the K-7? I asked the guy at the store this and at first he said it was a "setting", but I spent a good bit of time menu diving after that comment, and while I found the setting for how long the review image would stay up, I didn't see a setting for how long it would wait before displaying it. (And why would anyone want to set it to wait so long to display the image, anyway?). Upon further pressing the issue, the salesman admitted that he didn't know that much about the Pentax cameras... so I'm asking you guys.

BTW I tested taking photos in both JPEG and RAW to see if that made any difference, and it didn't make any noticeable difference.

Last edited by patrickw; 12-30-2009 at 08:47 PM.
12-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No it is not normal, check that the lens correction features are off.
12-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Patrick
I have a K-7: the delay in LCD display is linked with the amount of post-processing that you set in the camera setting. For example, when you use a Pentax lens and set the lens correction one, some fairly intensrive post-processing take place after each photo.
The amount of post-processing is not an issue for me when I do some single shots. But I have to disconnect all post-processing when I do some continous shoting (Hi) to achieve the 5 fps.
Hope that the info will assist.

Last edited by hcc; 12-30-2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: typos
12-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
OK, thanks for the notes.

I'll go back to the store and make sure that the lens correction features are turned off. (The lens was a Pentax 18-55 for what its worth).

Do I understand that when you have the lens correction turned off that the review pops up essentially instantaneously?

If I recall correctly, the lens correction has separate settings for both distortion and chromatic aberration correction? Presumably you could do those corrections after you're done shooting, anyway, right?

12-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
The amount of post-processing is not an issue for me when I do some single shots. But I have to disconnect all post-processing when I do some continous shoting (Hi) to achieve the 5 fps.
Just to clarify... the amount of post-processing is not an issue for you because?:

a) it doesn't slow down the LCD review

b) you don't normally look at the LCD review, so it's not an issue one way or the other

or

c) you're just a very patient guy
12-30-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi patrick,

The processing time also includes writing to the card, so memory card speed also has an effect. Make sure that the card has a write speed of at least 20MB/sec or is 133x or faster or the card will cause a bottleneck and slow down the review. Also, when comparing between cameras, make sure they are all set to comparable output RAW/RAW, jpeg/jpeg.

Scott
12-31-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
things that slow down the instant-review display on the K7:

- lens correction (most effect)
- horizon correction
- digital filters
- dynamic range settings (highlight and shadow) (minimal effect, but some)

With all of the above disabled, review on screen is practically instantaneous.

12-31-2009, 05:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
I went back to the store today and yes, it turned out that both types of lens correction were turned on. Upon turning them off, the LCD review worked nearly instantaneously. Thanks for everybody's help figuring that one out.

Out of curiosity, can you apply the lens correction after-the-fact?
12-31-2009, 05:32 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by patrickw Quote
I went back to the store today and yes, it turned out that both types of lens correction were turned on. Upon turning them off, the LCD review worked nearly instantaneously. Thanks for everybody's help figuring that one out.

Yes. Lens Correction filter in Photoshop CS2 - Photoshop CS2 Tutorial
12-31-2009, 05:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

In Photoshop you can. Otherwise you can just skip looking at the LCD for awhile. I don't normally peep every photo I take, so it's not a problem for me. I always shoot about 15-25 shots before reviewing through my photos.
12-31-2009, 05:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, if you shoot in RAW, you can apply the camera's lens correction features afterwards when you export to JPEG or TIFF (whether within the camera itself or by using Pentax's provided software on your PC). Doing it this way uses the actual lens profile detected by the camera, and takes into account the lens distortion at different focal lengths.

As others mentioned, you can also do it to JPEGs in Photoshop and other software, but this tends to ignore the lens profile and you have to fine-tune the results manually.
12-31-2009, 06:14 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
In Photoshop you can. Otherwise you can just skip looking at the LCD for awhile. I don't normally peep every photo I take, so it's not a problem for me. I always shoot about 15-25 shots before reviewing through my photos.
I like to see the first shot of a scene on the LCD before knocking out a bunch of photos. I don't mind waiting sometimes, but if I am shooting wildlife that's not an option, so I'm happy to leave the lens correction for special circumstances or post-production. As far as I'm concerned having the lens correction available at all is pure bonus, so I'm not bothered by working without it most of the time.