Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20, on board flash & 2 second mirror up delay

My wife comes in and lays a plate in front of me saying that she needs a picture of it immediately, and the colors need to be right. So I grab my K20 to take a picture.

I set it to AF, and the green mode, pop up the flash, depress the shutter, get auto focus, depress the shutter the full way, get the flash, and hear the mirror up, then hear beep beep beep (the 2 second mirror up delay) followed by the click of the shutter - dark image appears on the rear screen.

Well, I had forgotten that I had the camera on the tripod with a 2 second delay still set earlier in the evening. What surprised me was the independence of the flash and the activation of the shutter. I would have thought that the two events would have been hard coupled together, rather that totally independent events.

Anyway, unset the delay and retook the picture, gave it to wife - wife happy, happy life......

12-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting....I had to pick up my K20 right next to me and try it as it does not make sense. In Green mode with pop up flash and 2-sec delay I get a flash twice, at button press and at shutter click. The pic came out fine. Something else may be amiss between our setups.
12-31-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
Dom

Goes to get camera and flash, back in a bit.

Yep just tried it, now slightly blinded my own flash.
I've managed to reproduce your problem. It would seem that the 2 second delay in any mode will give you the same result. Even when in 'X' and wireless flash in enabled.
12-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't think there's anything wrong, or even strange about this. The first flash is the P-TTL pre-flash used to take a metering reading. Metering needs to occur with the mirror DOWN (since measurement is taken off the focus screen). Same with autofocus -- mirror down, only, because the mirror is what directs part of the light to the AF sensor.

So when you use two-second lock-up, you press the shutter button, and focusing and metering (and the P-TTL pre-flash) happen immediately because they have to. Then the mirror flips, there's a two second pause, and the shutter actuates.

12-31-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I rarely use the flash, so it was more of a mystery than a problem. I do remember thinking on the first flash, that it was pretty weak, and odd, immediately followed by the 2 second delay, kicking myself for not checking the setup first. Now that you all indicate that there is a second flash, I do think that it occurred, but when the image came up, it was not a black frame, not just illuminated as one would have expected.

Thanks for the explanation of the pre-flash, and now things are becoming clearer in terms of how the flash system actually operates. I just was not expecting it, in terms of how everything sequenced out.

Learn something new everyday....

Happy New Year - Everyone!!