Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-x raw troubles

I'm having some trouble with my new K-x files. I can't load a raw file in DCU 4, it immediately crashes. I upgraded the software at the Pentax site, still the same. I deleted the PEF Raw Codec, no change. I shoot raw+ (PEF). My old Pentax Photo Browser works well with the K100D Super raw, but sometimes chokes on K20D files. I don't know if it works with K-x raw because I deleted the program. I know that PPB was unable to show exif data for K-x jpegs. Windows viewer won't open the K-x raw files (it says the file is corrupted or damaged). I tried Picasa and it displays the raw images, but the colour is way off (all blue, like shooting Tungsten in daylight). DNG is closer to jpeg colours ,but still off.

My computer is a higher end Dell laptop, a couple of years old, with upgraded video drivers etc. I foolishly ordered it with Vista Home Edition. I'm shooting jpeg exclusively for now. What should I do next?

12-31-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you having sufficient memory in your computer? Crashes are often an indication of insufficient memory. Suggest you buy Lightroom for post processing and cataloging, calibrate that computer monitor or upgrade to a newer computer with a faster processor.
12-31-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know if this helps, but I can open kx PEFs in DCU 4.11. I've never done anything else in DCU. I'm running Vista 64.

I have the same problems with Picasa - PEFs really wierd and blue, DNG's about a stop off from the JPEG.

Lightroom beta 3 (free for now) works with Kx DNG's. I think Adobe has an update for LR2 that supports Kx.
12-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many raw converters use Dave Coffin's dcraw on the backend to do all the heavy lifting. The latest version to support the K-x was just recently released so it will take a while to work its way into the programs.