Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

k10 question. What to do?

I have been a member of the this forum for quite some time but haven't posted much. I am going to try to do a better job of taking part in discussions instead of just reading them. I figured I would bring this question to all of you and see if you can help me with my decision.
The background first. About 6 months ago my wife was traveling with our K10 and in the airport the security area they dropped our k10 on the floor. Not happy about the airport response but that is for another post. It wouldn't work after the fall so we had it repaired from a pentax dealer. Ever since then the focus seems to be off. Not sure if it is the body or the Sigma 17-70 lens. I have reached the point that instead of trying to fix it again I would like to replace it with a newer model. So now the question:
Should I go with the K7 or get the K20 and a nicer lens? I would really like the DA 35 prime.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the two?

Or should I send the K10 into Pentax and have them try to fix it and buy a couple of lenses.

We mainly use the camera for family activities and some landscape photos when the opportunity presents itself.

Thanks for the responses.

12-31-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the answer really depends on what you want to do long term

You don't mention any other lenses you have, and that can have a bearing.

I was faced with a similar situation when my K10 Shutter failed last may.

I opted for the K7 over the K20 for the following reasons:

I shoot a lot of older lenses (manual focus and manual aperture)

The K10 was not the best at metering with these lenses due to the focusing screen used. The K20 has the same problem and this was the topic of many threads. I decided that although more money, the improved metering of th eK7 was worth it, and I have been very happy.

I did, however, decide that getting the K10 was also worth it, and for the price, it came back not only with new shutter and mirror assembly, but fully cleaned.

Pentax did frown however about the split image finder I had installed and put a very polite disclaimer that it could impact metering accuracy (as if it could get any worse than it was with my older lenses)
12-31-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 for K20D + new lens.
There is a significant step in the sensor between the K10D and K20D, but not so much from the K20D to the K-7 (unless you include movie mode).
So enjoy choosing.
12-31-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

DId you try debug mode to fix the AF? If you can fix the AF with it you might just be able to hold off a new purchase and get better for cheaper later

12-31-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
Inactive Account

If one of those idiot TSA mongrels screwed up my camera and they wouldn't do anything about it I would shit a brick.

I work in aviation...and I can tell you they are absolute dumbasses man..sorry to hear about that.

I say go for the K20 though.
12-31-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As a previous K10D, K20D and now K-7 user I would recommend the K-7.
Quite a lot of improvement over the K20D imo.
12-31-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
As a previous K10D, K20D and now K-7 user I would recommend the K-7.
Quite a lot of improvement over the K20D imo.
+1 for the K-7

Steve
01-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I love my K7

+1 K7, came from a K10D and they are night and day. I'm sure the K20 is a step up but........

01-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If it were me, K7 hands down. What a bummer though, I'd be royally upset if they did this to me without compensation ! Did you have travel insurance by any chance ?