Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2010, 07:24 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
vertical grip for the K-7

I am really struggling with this one, so I thought I would ask others for their opinions (sometimes a dangerous thing to do).
I have recently purchase a k-7 kit (with the 18-55mm lens) and then the 21mm LTD, which is now my workhorse lens. I will probably shoot 90% of my images with the 21mm. I also shoot exclusively in the horizontal. I have taken no more than 5 images out of the last 10,000 in the vertical.
I am currently working on a project that has me shooting every day, normally a minimum of 50 to 100 shots each. I take my k-7 everywhere, even to work. Being a Canon owner and former pro photog, I am used to shooting with a much bigger camera. The k-7's size has taken some time to get used to. To improve handling, I picked up a vertical grip. It came in yesterday, and I have yet to decide whether or not to keep it.
Thoughts on grip:
Pro's: improved handling, pro-level appearance
Con's: heavier camera, more difficult to transport, expensive ($200+ towards another lens), less obvious when shooting street photo subjects.
I am not the type that likes to put things on and take them off, so if I decide to keep the grip, it will become a permanent fixture on my k-7. And there's my problem... do I keep the grip, or send it back?

01-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #2

Only you can decide. Sounds like your decision should be based on ergonomics.

As for me, I have had the vertical grip for my K10D for the past 2 years. I leave it on most of the time, and only take it off to reduce weight when carrying the camera on serious hikes. I bought the grip for my new K-7 and expect to do the same.

I also use the 21mm lens a lot when traveling.
01-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
Dom

Keep it.

I've got a K20D and a K-7 and both have grips. I hate using either of them without. The extra weight is a plus, gives the camera more stability and fells better in the hand.
01-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I just picked up the Canon 7D with grip and 15-85...later this year i'm getting the K7 with grip believe when i say, i wish i had gone with the K7 with grip when i was in the store

* i must stop reading all the comparison articles*

01-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

What really attracted me to the K7 was it's small size. I like the grip, but I only have it on the camera when I am in the studio shooting portraits (primarily verticals).
If I was worried about "pro-level appearance" I'd be shooting anything but Pentax, so this is a non starter for me.
If I was in your shoes, I'd send the grip back and put the money towards a nice Pentax lens instead.
01-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #6

Original Poster
Good points...

Thanks for all the feedback... I guess my big hang-up is the size increase. After lugging a Canon 10D with the grip and Sigma 24-70 f2.8 all over D.C., I realized carrying 10lbs of gear around my neck was not fun. So I switched to the G7 for about 6 months because it was so easy to transport... the drawback: the IQ was terrible, especially after getting used to the quality of a DSLR.
01-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks... the small size is definitely a plus. As for the pro-appearance, it seems to be a benefit sometimes, especially when I shooting at public events such as car shows... although when doing strict street photography, the small size (sans grip) allows for more candid work.

01-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You have taken 10,000 photos and only 5 have been horizontal? I cant understand why you even have a question about the advantage of a grip if you are shooting almost entirely and exclusively vertical. The correct ergonomics alone should be the answer to your question. Don't worry about the added weight, unless you think another few ounces is too much for you. Size, another 1.5 inches taller isn't going to make you less stealth, if that's what you are after. As for "pro-appearance"...stop posing and start composing, if you are worried about looking pro or not, let your images speak for themselves.

To me, the grip seems a no brainer for you.

Jason
01-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
You have taken 10,000 photos and only 5 have been horizontal? I cant understand why you even have a question about the advantage of a grip if you are shooting almost entirely and exclusively vertical. The correct ergonomics alone should be the answer to your question. Don't worry about the added weight, unless you think another few ounces is too much for you. Size, another 1.5 inches taller isn't going to make you less stealth, if that's what you are after. As for "pro-appearance"...stop posing and start composing, if you are worried about looking pro or not, let your images speak for themselves.

To me, the grip seems a no brainer for you.

Jason
You've got it backwards Jason. He says he's only shot 5 verticals out of ~10,000 pictures.
01-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #10

Original Poster
Wow, let's keep it civil

... first of all, I have only taken 5 vertical shots out of the past 10,000:
"I have taken no more than 5 images out of the last 10,000 in the vertical."

Weight and size are a bit of an issue, considering I carry the camera in a Kata 455 to work everyday (I work as a high school assistant principal during the day).

As for the "posing" comment, I have been shooting for over 10 years, the first 5 as a pro working on editorial and advertising assignments. And I believe my images speak volumes. The "pro" concern arises mainly during my work at big car shows. Owners respond differently when they see someone with a professional-looking rig. They tend to give better access to their cars and are more willing to allow portraits to be taken with their chrome beauties.
01-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks Wheatfield... btw, love the signature!
01-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you're not happy with your grip, send it along over here and I'll be happy to take it off your hands... for a small fee of course

For me, the size and weight of the K7 was the #1 reason for purchase. Weather sealing and features was also the #1 reason. There were a lot of #1 reasons

But one thing I DESPISE is proprietary battery formats. The K7 uses a unique battery which, if it fails or if I forget to charge it, leaves me completely stranded. Even buying a new one on location is useless, because it won't be charged. For those situations, the battery grip would be a life saver.
01-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #13

Original Poster
All your #1 reasons are the same as mine... I did pick up a second battery, and the life of the battery is far longer than what I've experienced in the past with my Canon DSLRs, so I have no worries about heading out into the mountains for a weekend with the camera and 2 batteries.

May I recommend the 21mm limited as a future lens. I put it on when it arrived last week and I haven't taken it off since. I'm actually thinking of sending the grip back in order to use the $ to pick up the 15mm limited.
01-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by javarob75 Quote
All your #1 reasons are the same as mine... I did pick up a second battery, and the life of the battery is far longer than what I've experienced in the past with my Canon DSLRs, so I have no worries about heading out into the mountains for a weekend with the camera and 2 batteries.
I used to use the same arguments when other people complained about proprietary batteries It didn't do my mother much good when she went on vacation for 2 weeks and realized she completely forgot to charge both her batteries and did not bring her charger.

I agree that the LI-90 lasts an impressively long time, but I'm one of those people who ALWAYS forgets to recharge batteries. The camera died on me last week right in the middle of a 2-hour long trek. Ironically, it died while I was standing right near a place that sells AA batteries.

It doesn't help that the battery takes SIX AND A HALF HOURS for a full charge!!! It also doesn't help that my battery indicator doesn't show any wear until the battery is 75% used up.

QuoteOriginally posted by javarob75 Quote
May I recommend the 21mm limited as a future lens. I put it on when it arrived last week and I haven't taken it off since. I'm actually thinking of sending the grip back in order to use the $ to pick up the 15mm limited.
Thanks! It's already on my list of future lenses

I don't know if you've already considered this, but if you wear the camera around your neck, I'd highly recommend looking into an Op/Tech Pro neoprene strap. It makes a very noticeable difference in the weight your neck needs to bear. I don't know about their dubious claims about "50% weight reduction", but it's made a pleasant difference for me.
01-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks to all

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my request for thoughts regarding a vertical grip. It's great to know there are people out there willing to share their knowledge to help others.
I have decided to send the grip back... for two reasons:
1. not worth the extra weight, etc. Just went for an hour hike without the grip and never wished I had it with me.
but more importantly...
2. I'm going to use the coin to pick up a 15mm limited! I love my 21mm ltd, so I feel that I must continue to fill the stable with more limited glass.

So thanks again to all who contributed!