Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K-7 vs K-x focus speed and movie volume

Hi All,

Yesterday I handled my friend's new K-x vs my K-7. I felt the image quality are similar. Colors are close and noise is close when I set K-7 at high NR from ISO 200 vs K-x at default (sorry did not do any serious test).

Of course K-7 wins in handling, LCD, and viewfinder etc. but I found two things annoying:

1. Focus speed. I test both machines with FA 43mm without K-7 AF assist light. The K-7 motor is a little faster but not to much. However, in low light conditions, K-7's motor starts later than K-x (~0.5 sec) after pressing the shutter button. It seems with auto focus points would accelerate K-7 in some cases but K-x responds almost always immediately for all focus mode.

2. Movie volume is louder on K-x than K-7.

I wonder if this is common or just specifically happens to my K-7 since I have dropped it once and may break some parts inside. Could anyone with both machines please help me to confirm that? It would be great if you can put some thoughts in understanding the differences.

Thank you very much!
Tony

Last edited by fulcrumx29; 01-02-2010 at 12:11 PM.
01-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Any idea please?
01-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Re: image quality, I find that the K-7 is superior in good light, and the K-x wins in low light. No surprise there. The K-x tends to have "cooler" results when using AWB.

Re: focus speed, I haven't noticed any such discrepancy in low light. Both are very quick, but I feel the K-7 has a slight edge in pretty much all situations, when using center point (basically all I ever use). It may be different if the camera is choosing the point, but I couldn't say for sure.

Re: movie volume, I definitely noticed that the K-x plays back on-camera with louder volume, but on the computer they both seem to have similar volume levels. I'd say the speaker on the K-x is just a bit stronger.
01-07-2010, 05:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fulcrumx29 Quote
1. Focus speed.... However, in low light conditions, K-7's motor starts later than K-x (~0.5 sec)

2. Movie volume is louder on K-x than K-7.
fulcrumx29 asked for my opinion about the two topics, so here we go:

1. I didn't notice such lag with the K-7. I just compared both in low light (center AF-S only) and there wasn't much of a difference. I didn't notice a lag in begin of operation. However, I noticed that the K-7 seemed to need one more focus step to settle. At several occasions I got the impression that the K-7 AF is parameterized to achieve a higher focus accuracy than K-x (or K-m). Which would be logical given that the K-7 is targeted at a more pro target audience and sports more pixels.

It may be interesting to read my in-depth test of K-7 vs. K-m:
Falk Lumo: K-7 and its precision autofocus

2. Movie volume is low on K-7, and fortunately so.

Read more about it here:
Falk Lumo: K-7 as a movie camera -- PART II: Controlling video recording
Esp. my comment in answer to Tony's.