Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
warranty turn around time from Pentax on K20D

I figured I would ask here to gauge if I should send my (K20D) body in.

Last night while shooting the front dial just quick working. Nothing nada, zip. Couldn't use it to advance pictures in playback or adjust settings for shooting. After a few minutes (and multiple curses) of turning off, on, etc. the thing started working. This morning everything seems fine.

I have to have this camera ready for an event on the 23rd.

Can anyone vouch for turn around time from Pentax when it comes to warranty repairs?

If it makes a difference, I am shipping from Wisconsin.

I suppose this would be a good excuse to pick up a back up body.

Speaking of another camera: There seems to be mucho-many threads regarding the high ISO capabilities of the K-x compared to the K20D. If I was looking for a camera for the wife/daughter AND looking for a low light/high ISO/back up body, would the K-x fill the bill?

Any idea when Pentax is going to release their next (K20d/K7 replacement) body?

01-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I had to send my k20d in for a warranty repair when it got a permanent memory card error. I sent it in and didnt get it back for two months. I think it took a long time to repair due tot he actual parts that needed repairing or replacing. But it might take a while...so Id recommend picking up another cam
01-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #3

I had as well some troubles. 3 times in 2009. The average time for each servicing was about 1 month. Lucky I had a backup body for the 3 months period.
01-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You definitely don't want to send it in unless you have a back-up plan for 1/23 in place. On the other hand, you have plenty of time over the next few days to play with the camera to determine whether the situation was just one of those camera computer anomalies, or need to bite the bullet. Dry, cold weather (Wisconsin in Winter) can cause a static electricity condition or a temporary short circuit.

Before deciding. spending the next few days doing research on the K-X is not a bad idea. If great low-light performance in a small body is a high priority - you will have a back up body that provides some real attributes beyond just a back up (despite some notable deficiencies you have to expect from an entry-level offering).

01-21-2010, 03:19 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies. And sorry about my extended delay.

Based on what you folks have said I did not send the camera in. After the shoot this weekend I will send it in. The issue with the front wheel has only occurred a couple times in the past few weeks. While it is an annoyance, it does not prohibit use (except in full manual) of the camera.

The K-x does intrigue me as a backup/lowlight use body. Heck, maybe I can convince the wife what a great present I just bought her!
01-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My K20D took 6 weeks for Focus realignment... They used to have the expedited service when the service center was in Colorado, but now its taking extra time!!!
01-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #7

Cameras are not repaired by Pentax but by another company.. CRIS.. Shipping time is not a problem. 2-3 days either way.. Now them getting around to repairing it is.. Expect at least a month+ for repairs.

Simple procedure of remapping pixels took 6 weeks for me.

My camera wont go back to them for anything after that long of a wait. Perhaps you can find a local repair shop.