Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What to replace my Samsung GX-20 with?

I just got my camera stolen in Shanghai due to my idiocy of leaving my bag behind me while I ate at McDonalds. My fastpack 250, the kit lens,a sigma 28-80, SMC-M 50mm f1.4, a metz 36 af-p and a bunch of personal belongings were in the bag as well. I am rather short on funds and will be for some time so that brings us to the question...

Should I buy a Ist DS or should I find a K100d (super?)? I currently live in Poland and so that does complicate my search for Pentax equipment (poor logistics and brand recognition :-( )

What do you guys think? The only lens left is my Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 which was left behind for other reasons (luckily!)

P.S. I am on a really tight budget. I am looking to spend no more than $250usd :-( Thanks ASh for the suggestion!

Last edited by theperception2008; 01-01-2010 at 07:19 PM.
01-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to for your loss.
Depending on the camera you had stolen from you, you may find a K200D in order if you're into weather sealing features, or even a good excuse to go for a K-x if weather sealing isn't a sought after feature for you.
Anything cheaper, and I'd suggest a K100D Super if you can get one.
01-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. I don't have the 17-50, but you are at least starting with something far better than any kit lens (I don't have the Tamron, but have handled the lens and seen the excellent results).

You have to decide how important to you various features are such as shake reduction, large screen, and true TTL flash (*istD and *istDS - you can pick up these older flashes cheaply and get better, broader TTL performance in many respects only with these older bodies) - saving you cash at the same time. However, the older bodies are not as good in terms of shooting speed, buffer and auto-focus.

The high-iso image quality differences between the 6 mp sensors and 10 mp are not significant; the 10 mp at lower ISO are better for enlargements if you need that.

I think you can get a good idea about exactly what you're seeking at this recent thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/83456-best-low-cos...$300-used.html

Unlike Samsung, you have many Pentax options available not only in the used DSLR market, but when it comes to looking for reasonably prices lenses - especially if you are willing to try some manual focus glass.
01-02-2010, 04:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Depending on how much do you rely on speed and precision of AF you might want to look at *istD as well. At least you would be getting similar operation to your camera. Neither *istDS nor K100D(Super) have two wheel hyper program mode. However if you don't mind that, K100D seem to be the best cameras IQ-wise that Pentax produced based on that 6MP sensor. If you can stretch a little further and get K10D - it would be better still, given that you wouldn't shoot at ISO 800 and above. Tamron 17-50 is excellent lens, good you still have it.

01-02-2010, 06:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would go with the K100 of the two you mentioned -- it has a little better image quality and has shake reduction. Whether or not you need the super version, depends on whether you have SDM lenses, or are planning to get some.
01-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If a K100 Super is available to you in good condition and in your price range, that's the very least I would go for - unless you stumble on a great deal on a K200D or K10D. The Super would at least guarantee compatibility with all Pentax lenses going forward as well as backward. It's also a great camera - the best of the 6mp range - with noticeably better image quality vs. the *ist.

The K200D and K10D would both give you 10mp, weather resistance and a sensor-cleaning system. The K10D adds a pentaprism (like your GX20 and the K20D) and improved manual controls on the body vs. the menu. The K200D is newer than the K10D and is essentially the same camera with scene modes, a pentamirror vs. a pentaprism and slightly improved autofocus. But manual controls are a bit more menu-oriented.

A K-x would be wonderful, even though it lacks weather resistance. But that's still going to be more than $500, even for body-only.

Last edited by Biro; 01-02-2010 at 11:45 PM.
01-04-2010, 07:28 AM   #7

Why not a used GX-20 or K20D? Shouldn't be that expensive...
01-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow that really sucks! I would go into a state of uncontrollable psychotic rage if my K-7 got stolen with a bunch of gear inside, just kidding =P Glad to see that you've gotten over it and doing fine now, hopefully whoever stole it will get justice whether it's by the law or by others! You should definitely get a K100D Super.

03-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Wow that really sucks! I would go into a state of uncontrollable psychotic rage if my K-7 got stolen with a bunch of gear inside, just kidding =P Glad to see that you've gotten over it and doing fine now, hopefully whoever stole it will get justice whether it's by the law or by others! You should definitely get a K100D Super.
I kinda did go into a psychotic episode of anger... but that's beside the point , I just picked up a K100D Super as that was in the closest price range to me! I am really digging it right now. It's a little more "menu" oriented, but I'll get used to it. I'm just glad to be able to take pics again! Thank you for all your help and suggestions!

Theperception2008