Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #1

K-x with old Super Takumar lenses?

Hello! New poster here. I am looking into buying the k-x body to go with several lenses I have. I don't have a huge knowledge base about cameras - I'm wanting to upgrade from a point and shoot that is driving me nuts with blurry pictures as a result of low lighting and fast moving kids. I have read a few places that Pentax lenses are interchangeable with cameras. The lenses I have are from the 1960/70's and were used with the Spotmatic and K1000. They are Super Takumar 1.8/55, 3.5/28, 3.5/135. Does anyone know if these would work with the k-x? Thanks!

01-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, when those lenses are set to manual they'll work just fine with your Kx.

However, you'll need an adapter like this one:

PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter K(35m m Screwmount to Bayonet)
01-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks! So does that mean that I would only be able to shoot in manual then?
01-01-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stelaine Quote
Thanks! So does that mean that I would only be able to shoot in manual then?
Yes...for the most part it does. I prefer Takumar and K lenses to much of the newer stuff. Once you get the hang of it, it's not that big of a deal. You'll focus, set the F stop for what you want, then press the green button and shoot. Sometimes you'll have to adjust the exposure slightly, or use the EV+- but once you have it set you can usually take a few of shots without having to reset the exposure (manual focus obviously) The quality is terrific.

Cheers,
Steve

07-16-2011, 02:05 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
You'll focus, set the F stop for what you want, then press the green button and shoot.
What does pressing this mysterious green button do?

Also, will the Kx confirm if and where focus is achieved?
07-16-2011, 06:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter

1)the green button calculates the shutter speed you need based on the aperture.

2)from my experience with the k-x and takumars focus confirmation works only with low f numbers. when you get around 5 or 8 focus confirmation does not work for me. I still recommend the K-x + takumar combination
07-16-2011, 06:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomBrooklyn Quote
What does pressing this mysterious green button do?

Also, will the Kx confirm if and where focus is achieved?
1) The green button will automatically set the shutter speed to according to your selected aperture.

2) Yep. Unless it's super-dark or your lens is extremely slow, it'll beep and the focus indicator will light up. You can also use "catch in focus" by setting the autofocus mode to AF.S and setting the MF/AF switch on the front of the camera to "AF". Then the shutter will only fire when it's completely in focus. You can switch back to regular mode by setting the switch back to "MF". I use catch in focus a lot. It's very handy.

Once you get used to shooting manually with the old lenses, it comes naturally and you don't even think about it. I mostly shoot with my K-x & K100D and old lenses.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
07-16-2011, 06:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
when you get around 5 or 8 focus confirmation does not work for me.
It works for me on my 500mm f8 Russian mirror lens on the K-x, but of course samples vary. I'd guess f8 would probably be about as slow as you could go & still have it work, tho.

07-16-2011, 06:17 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Sure, I have seen that my takumars behave differently from each other. Also as you said lighting conditions (dark vs. bright) play a role
07-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I suggest you buy three inexpensive ($10) adapters like this: Pentax M42 screw lens to PK K Adapter Infinity focus | eBay

Put an adapter on each lens & leave it on. To do this you can remove the little spring clip on the adapter - take out the little screw holding the spring clip in place - remove the spring clip - put the adapter on the lens - replace the little screw to secure the adapter to the lens.

Each lens will then be ready to go & can be quickly mounted and demounted. You will find them easy to use and useful.

While you are buying things you might consider getting $9 macro tubes to use with your manual lenses - Macro Extension Tube Ring Pentax K10D K20D K110D K100D | eBay then you'll be able to take good macro photos should you want to try.
07-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
I suggest you buy three inexpensive ($10) adapters like this: Pentax M42 screw lens to PK K Adapter Infinity focus | eBay

Some people have reported problems with non-original adapters (they get stuck in the camera) so be careful!
07-16-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Some people have reported problems with non-original adapters (they get stuck in the camera) so be careful!
That's a very low risk if the clip is removed and the adapter is mounted on the lens. I've done it with quite a few lenses and adapters including an original Pentax adapter.

Dave
07-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #13
Site Supporter

good to know!
07-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

A few points:

1. For those lenses, you can operate in Av mode if you like, but you may well find you need to use exposure compensation.

2. Do make use of the Auto/Manual switch on the lens: with "A" showing, set the desired aperture and focus the lens; then set the switch to "M" showing, recompose as necessary, and shoot. Or just leave it in manual, but do your focusing with the aperture wide open.

3. Don't necessarily trust focus indication: in my experience, it's likely to work OK for the 55, rather unlikely to be accurate for the 135, and be downright useless for the 28 - but I may just be unlucky, do experiment!

Also, let me echo sergysergy - if you get a non-Pentax adapter, don't use it until you've removed the spring. If you get an authentic Pentax adapter, leave the spring in! By the way, a good alternative to the Pentax adapter seems to be the one made by SRB Griturn (as promoted on this forum by forum member Lloydy!).