Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2010, 02:50 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K10 has double vision!!

Ill post up the pic later, but I was taking some pictures of the moon tonite and I got two moons in the picture. One of the moons is just lighted and blown out, and you can see the features of the moon on the other one.

HOW!?

HOW do I get double vision in a camera?

01-02-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sometimes filters can cause this type of reflection.
01-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

How did you trigger the camera? If the tripod was not set on a very stable surface, vibration might cause that. Did you use a stable tripod?

As you can see, a lot of things might be at work, so some more details would help.
01-02-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Your camera had too much to drink.

01-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Pictures or else there is not a problem.
01-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok heres a pic and the only way I could stop this from hapenning was to dial the shutter in so fast that all I could see was a blown out moon, with no features. I wanted to get the clouds and stuff but I couldn't make it work at all.

I was using a 80-200 Pentax M lens and it does in fact have a UV filter attached to it.

There were some floodlights near me, and I tried "flagging" the lights from the lens and it seemed to help a little if that makes any difference.
Attached Images

01-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Raptorman Quote
Ill post up the pic later, but I was taking some pictures of the moon tonite and I got two moons in the picture. One of the moons is just lighted and blown out, and you can see the features of the moon on the other one.

HOW!?

HOW do I get double vision in a camera?
I got the same. I took it off auto and manually set exposure till I got a good shot. It overexposed the Moon in auto. Look in the folder where I posted a picture of the full Moon and some birds. I set the shutter to manual on the Moon and just took different shots till I got the shutter just right. I was using a manual lens 250mm at f/22 for both images. The camera over senses the bright subject (Moon) in the center. This happens with a lot of cameras when taking Moon shots you will often have to set exposure manually. Despite getting a DSLR recently I have been taking astro pictures for at least 35 years.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/85354-nature-first-k10d-pics.html The pictures are in the photo sharing and galleries folder.
William

Last edited by WillCarney; 01-02-2010 at 05:14 PM.
01-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That doesn't tell my why I was having this problem though, as this is clearly a reflection somewhere causing this.
01-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
To me me it looks like the usual reflection caused by a filter.
Using a filter when taking pictures in the dark is just asking for problems, at least when there are some strong lights in the picture.
01-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
Inactive Account

That doesn't tell my why I was having this problem though, as this is clearly a reflection somewhere causing this.
I got the same double image. The main Moon image was over exposed and centered while it gave a second image underexposed like a reflection. I got about six or seven of these till I went to manual shutter and bracketed. If it was a reflection then it should have been in the manual shutter shots as well. That did not happen.

Here's the original "auto" picture. The aperature and focus was manual.
You can see in the other post I did there was no reflection.

William
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by WillCarney; 01-02-2010 at 05:13 PM.
01-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Right - from the filter. Just one of the many reasons why so many recommend not using them unless necessary.
01-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Right - from the filter. Just one of the many reasons why so many recommend not using them unless necessary.
H'mm. Both of my shots with the double image at auto shutter and the one with manual shutter with out the double image used NO filter just a telephoto lens.

Others on the cloudy nights forum suggest this does happen and recomend using the manual shutter.

William
01-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WillCarney Quote
H'mm. Both of my shots with the double image at auto shutter and the one with manual shutter with out the double image used NO filter just a telephoto lens.

Others on the cloudy nights forum suggest this does happen and recomend using the manual shutter.

William

I was shooting full manual the whole time, and was careful to just meter the moon. How do I actually get the clouds and stuff? I was able to eventually get a picture of the moon but it was really boring to look at without all the clouds like I was trying to get.

I tried every combination of shutter, aperture, and metering mode I could think of, and got the same result unless I just got that same old boring shot of the moon with everything else blacked out.

I'll try things without the filter and see what happens though.
01-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
graphicgr8s

I had the same problem doing a moon shot. It was the filter.
01-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was using a 80-200 Pentax M lens and it does in fact have a UV filter attached to it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
That also might be a reflection from the sensor (the low-pass filter, actually) onto the rear element of your M lens. The digital coatings currently applied to the rear elements of modern DA (digital optimized) lenses compensate for this tendency.

I'll be interested to read a solution to this problem since I plan to take some moon shots with a Takumar 500mm f/4.5 as soon as it warms up to at least double digits here.

I've seen long-exposure small-aperture moon photos on the Forum taken with super-telephotos (600mm - 1200mm) that are absolutely brilliant, so I know it can be done.