Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-7 & AF illuminator.

Does anybody here who own a K-7 also wishes that sometimes the AF illuminator would go on more often? It doesn't go on often when the light is sort-of-low and it's hard to focus, but it does work always when in near darkness. Sometimes I wish that it would go on more often in dim light.

01-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Does anybody here who own a K-7 also wishes that sometimes the AF illuminator would go on more often? It doesn't go on often when the light is sort-of-low and it's hard to focus, but it does work always when in near darkness. Sometimes I wish that it would go on more often in dim light.
Yes, I agree. Sometimes the motor goes back and forth and the illuminator just wouldn't come on. I wish it would be built in to sense the repeatitive motor motion, or give user control of forcing the activation of the light.
01-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A firmware release would most certainly be able to fix this.
01-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A firmware release would most certainly be able to fix this.
Agreed!
And I am also sure that Pentax has a lot of hidden little tricks which could be had with such firmware updates.
Example: USER mode ... why can't we have the possibility of storing at least 3 settings?

JP

01-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm with you on this one. It REALLY irks me when my AF searches but the assist beam does not come on. Really, unless I am in almost complete darkness focusing on a black object, it doesn't come on. Kind of lame because I paid for that feature on the K-7 but it doesn't ever do any work!

That's one of the few minor gripes that i have with the K-7. Really a brilliant camera in many regards. So I hope that this can be fixed, or at least allow it to be set to always activate when focusing if the user knows that they are in dim conditions.
01-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Customer Support - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

Click on "Contact Customer Service Web Form ", we should all send a request for Pentax to release a firmware to upgrade the AF illuminator/assist lamp for the Pentax K-7. Make sure you explain to them that it doesn't go on as often as you want and that it hunts, etc. etc. The more detailed the better, it gives them a better idea of what's wrong and how to deal with it.
01-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Click on "Contact Customer Service Web Form ", we should all send a request for Pentax to release a firmware to upgrade the AF illuminator/assist lamp for the Pentax K-7. Make sure you explain to them that it doesn't go on as often as you want and that it hunts, etc. etc. The more detailed the better, it gives them a better idea of what's wrong and how to deal with it.
That is a very good idea and also maybe we should ask for more "storage" with the USER mode. I find that very handy but would like to have a couple more storage bins in there.

Hope this Support - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site is not related to the Canadian Pentax site because they are really BAD at returning inquiries. I know from personal experience.
Once, I tried the US site for some "irks" regarding a specific camera-lens combo and got some responses. But for anything warranty-related or repair-related, I have to deal with them Canucks at Pentax and it is not easy.

JP

01-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Message sent to Pentax as proposed!
JP