Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Confirmed K100D isn't weather resistant

I've read some reports saying "I had my X camera out in a rain and nothing bad happened so weather sealing is overrated" where X is a non-weather sealed camera.

Well, today I had to carry both my camera and one of my children up a slight hill during a drizzle and my K100D got a bit wet. Wiped it off and kept shooting as the rain had stopped until I realized the top rows of the LCD displayed only random pixels.

Not good.

Switched it off immediately, took out the batteries, then kept it over the heating radiator for 3 hours. Confirmed the pictures from today were fine, which was a good sign. Now just turned it back on and it seems fine and the LCD again displays all rows.

Fingers crossed, but I'm fairly optimistic. And very keen to buy that K300D or equivalent when/if it comes out.

Last edited by juu; 01-02-2010 at 02:19 PM.
01-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lucky for you that was a close call rather than a wipeout!
01-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Let it dry out some more as moisture that has crept inside will take a while to evaporate. Give it a few more days so ti will be fully dry.
Trying it out while there is still moisture will just short out more of the circuits.
Hope everything will be fine after the drying out time.
01-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sorry to hear that.... suggestion..... use a dry box... such as a tupperware or such, just a wee bit bigger than the camera, add silica gel packs (find them on ebay), which aborbs moisture... let sit in the box for a few days, any excess moisture should be absorbed....
also, there are camera 'bags' which will fit over the camera and lens to protect in light moisture situation..... also, highly recommend a k200d (which i've used for about 1 1/2 years)... sealed body, however, most pentax lenses are not weather sealed.... but are available... $$$$

01-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
juu
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. It was not a good idea to turn it back on after only 3 hours, but at least I slept well at night.

I read a suggestion to keep it in a plastic bag with white rice to absorb the moisture... that's not as good as the silica gel, but at least I have it at home already.