Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2006, 09:00 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Will the K10D fit my big mitt?

OK, so the title of this post is, admittedly, pretty dumb - I mean, how could I possibly ask a question like that and expect anyone to be able to answer - right?

Well, here's how.

I have been in and out of my local shop enough that they are now offering me shares.

So, I've wrapped my hands around the Nikon D80, Canon Rebel 400, Olympus e-500, Sony Alpha and the Canon 20D.

Out of all of them, the D80 is the only one upon which I can actually rest all my fingers when holding the body. All the rest see my little finger hanging in space or trying to support the underside of the camera.

Obviously the Rebel is the worst, hands down...or is that pinkies down?

So, to those who've actually been able to hold one:

Is there anyone who has held a K10D and a D80 that can offer a guesstimate of the size of the K10D?

I've pre-ordered one, so at least I'll be able to lay my hands on one (hopefully), but this is really the only mental block I have with simply buying it. Otherwise, the stats point to it to be the camera for me - I cover some off road events on the East Coast of Canada, so the weather & dust protection are great items, IMO.

11-23-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hey,

it's roughly the same size as a D80. Prior to me holding a k-10 and reading up the preview on DPr, I held the D80 at a Circuit City by my office, just go get an idea of how it really is.

I have pretty big paws as well (6 foot 6 here) and I can safely say i can hold it w/ all 5 fingers (yes including pinky) just fine. tho, i've held it w/ the grip at the photo expo , and for users w/ bigger hands, it makes it more manageable.

here are some comparo photo's w/ me holding the K10, and *ist film body w/ the grip. threw in a AA for extra comparison....

apologies for the crappy shots..as you can see it was not taken w/ the pentax...

11-23-2006, 10:06 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Excellent - thanks Jon - exactly what I was hoping to see/hear/learn.

I just got back from the shop around the corner from my office.

Seems I'm # 3 on the pre-order list for the K10D. They have 24 units coming in - whenever. Even the rep has given up trying to figure it out apparently.

I suspect the K10D will be coming home with me when it arrives.

Duane
11-23-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

no worries...and it's worth the wait...