Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2010, 04:17 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Kx is ordered

Well I have finally made the plunged into getting my first DSLR camera and after a lot of research I have ordered my Kx and should get it on Tuesday. So any tips from other users would be appreciated

01-03-2010, 04:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Silly Goose Quote
Well I have finally made the plunged into getting my first DSLR camera and after a lot of research I have ordered my Kx and should get it on Tuesday. So any tips from other users would be appreciated
Avoid the "Pentax SLR Lens Discussion" forum, unless you want to become financially bankrupt.
01-03-2010, 04:28 AM   #3
Forum Member

Enjoy and and take lots of pictures. It is the only way to get better.
Remember, you will become much more critical of your own pictures (and those of others), seeing missed focus etc. But it is good education, and in the long run your pictures will get all that much better.

And contrary to asdf (I know he was joking), I am glad that I looked at the lens section, because it made selecting new lenses easier. I never regretted any lens purchase because of it. And I am not bankrupt yet either. ;-)
01-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Read the manual 3 times. Use Google and the search feature on forums. Every beginner question has been asked at least twice .... this week. Buy a good book or two on photography and practice the tips given. Be your own worst critic. Don't ask what our camera settings are - what we like may not be what you like. Focus on the art... but keep your images in focus! Have fun...it's a journey!

01-03-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Tip: Read the manual first, then let nature take it's course.

Jason
01-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Congratulations on the purchase. Above all, remember that photography is supposed to be fun. Read the manual and maybe a couple of good books on photo basics. Then go out, take pictures, experiment and don't be afraid to make mistakes. Take pictures of everything. Annoy your family and friends. If you're paying attention, the more you shoot, the better you'll get.

If you have questions, ask. Don't be offended by critiques of your work from others on this site. Almost everyone is offering input in the spirit of helping you learn and solve problems. We're pretty much all friends here.

You've ordered an excellent camera and Pentax's kit lenses aren't bad at all. And while we're sure you'll want to upgrade and add lenses down the road, don't be in a rush. Work on your composition and technique. When you find your ability and creativity is beginning to push the limits of what you can do with the kit lenses, then it's time to upgrade and add. Did I mention photography is supposed to be fun?
01-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I'll definatly be reading the manual as I have already bought an e-book about Pentax Kx from PENTAX DSLRs and I'm nearly half way through reading it and have learnt a lot more about the camera. I also look forward to using my new kit lenses as well as the lenses I had for my Pentax MZ-50

01-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations on the new camera, good work on the research. I would recommend browsing through the forum, and read lots of posts in the beginner section as well as the techniques section while you wait for it to arrive.
01-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can start reading the manual now. Manual
01-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #10

1. read the manual
2. take a lot of pictures
3. read "understanding exposure"
4. read the manual, again
5. take a lot of pictures....
01-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Aside from the good advice above which really applies to any new camera... for the K-x specifically, test the image quality around 1/100th of a second to 1/160th of a second shutter speeds with SR activated: some of us are experiencing motion blur caused by the SR mechanism overcompensating (other possible causes have been eliminated, Iīm posting tests when I return from my travels) at those speeds. If the blur does occur, no big deal, either use a different shutter speed (you have a lot of exposure leeway with the K-x) or turn off the SR when shutter speeds will be at 1/60th and above.

Also specific to the K-x, if you shoot in RAW, donīt be afraid to underexpose a little in the interest of preserving the highlights, especially at ISOs 100-400. This great little sensor lets you pull an incredible amount of information back out of the shadows (especially with a good program like lightroom. The beta for lightroom 3 is currently free and works very well).
01-04-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote
You can start reading the manual now. Manual
+1

It really helps to know the camera before it even hits your hands.

Steve