Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow. That is so odd. Please let us know what happens.

01-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #17

Ever since I installed the latest firmware, my photo playback has been funny.
It sometimes makes the rear screen go blank until I hit the shutter button.
Also, I'll be in playback, and when I move the camera body it will automatically go back to shooting mode.

Anyone else have these issues?

I just heard back from the studio I shot for last weekend. They asked if I had trouble getting tack sharp. I initially thought it was my shooting. Didn't even think it could have been the firmware.
01-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Still awaiting the repairs. I'll post an update once the body is returned. Its a nuisance not having a backup, but this a the slow real estate season. Am debating on a used or refurb k10 vs kx as backup if it isn't back soon. I'd hoped to hold out for the next pentax incarnation and retain K7 as backup.
01-12-2010, 03:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
........... I'd hoped to hold out for the next pentax incarnation and retain K7 as backup.
That's the best option... if you can wait

01-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
That's the best option... if you can wait
I'm working on patience, but the woot deal of a new w/warranty K20D with 18-55 alII lens for $584.99 shipped to my door is like the sirens song.

Yahoo! Shopping - Online Shopping with great products, prices and reviews
01-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #21
Forum Member

Check this thread: New K7 firmware! [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
01-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #22
Veteran Member

guys, did you try overwriting the latest firmware version with the Japan firmware version?

01-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
guys, did you try overwriting the latest firmware version with the Japan firmware version?
thats what i was using when the focus got weird. then i downgraded and the problem remained, so off for a warranty checkup
01-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
just got this from the pentax authorized repair shop here in the chicago burbs:

"It looks like your unit needs to be sent out to Pentax for main circuit board and calibrate this will most likely take about 2-3 weeks for repairs. Please advise."

this may mean a replacement body instead of repair

now what to do for a backup???

Last edited by ivoire; 01-13-2010 at 03:22 PM.
01-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by smitty Quote
Also, I'll be in playback, and when I move the camera body it will automatically go back to shooting mode.

I just heard back from the studio I shot for last weekend. They asked if I had trouble getting tack sharp. I initially thought it was my shooting. Didn't even think it could have been the firmware.
no problems with latest firmware on my k-7 (original first shipment batch in Australia)
01-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smitty Quote

Smitty, if that is still happening, i recommend sending it in for a 'under warranty checkup'. Better to have it done while its still under warranty than get a bill for $200-400. I ended up spending $280 for a used K10D to use as a backup while waiting for the K7 repairs. May keep it or sell it later.
01-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I had experienced a very similar problem when I upgraded the firmware. I forget what post / thread it was, but it got worse...What fixed it for me was that I ended up re-installing the new firmware. It took three tries and then it was back to normal. It had me really upset when I first did the upgrade. Now it works ok.
01-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #28

Didn't the FW V1.02 add a new sharpness level?

It's early, and I may be remembering the FW update on my wife's k-x.

I think it added a selectable 'Fine 2' level on the k7. That leads me to believe the sharpness was an issue.

Don't know enough about this to offer opinions though... I'll leave this to the resident 50 pound brains...
02-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The K7 was picked up today after waiting 30 days for replacement of the main circuit board. Everything is working fine. The repair time would have been less if I had sent it directly to Pentax. It took United Camera in Bensenville, IL 8 days to determine it had to go to Pentax. I'm just Happy that its back and in pristine condition.
02-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just yesterday got a new K-7, and I'm in the beginning stages of figuring things out.

But one thing I wondered about was the firmware update. Reading this thread made me, well, a little wary of the latest update, US or Japanese version.

I have a really goofy question, though: how can one determine which firmware version is installed in the camera? I searched here, and looked at the Pentax site, and have hunted in the manual. I might be missing something somewhere.

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.