Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #31
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by grey goat Quote
I just yesterday got a new K-7, and I'm in the beginning stages of figuring things out.

But one thing I wondered about was the firmware update. Reading this thread made me, well, a little wary of the latest update, US or Japanese version.

I have a really goofy question, though: how can one determine which firmware version is installed in the camera? I searched here, and looked at the Pentax site, and have hunted in the manual. I might be missing something somewhere.

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.
turn on camera while pressing INFO button.

02-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #32
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,368
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grey goat Quote
I just yesterday got a new K-7, and I'm in the beginning stages of figuring things out.

But one thing I wondered about was the firmware update. Reading this thread made me, well, a little wary of the latest update, US or Japanese version.

I have a really goofy question, though: how can one determine which firmware version is installed in the camera? I searched here, and looked at the Pentax site, and have hunted in the manual. I might be missing something somewhere.

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.
Just hold the menu button down while turning on the camera to display the firmware version. My problem was not firmware related.
02-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #33
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Just hold the menu button down while turning on the camera to display the firmware version. My problem was not firmware related.
oh, was it the menu button?

I hate it when both buttons are located in the same area.
02-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #34
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,587
Oh and I should mention that the last, latest update worked pretty good.

02-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #35
Site Supporter
grey goat's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Spring Green, WI
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 320
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Just hold the menu button down while turning on the camera to display the firmware version. My problem was not firmware related.
Thanks, ivoire. (And Pentaxtor, too!)

It's good to hear you got your K-7 back, ivoire.

I downloaded the latest firmware update--well, the US version, 1.02.14--and got it installed, no problem. I had 2/3 battery life remaining, but the instructions scared me into putting my fresh battery in there. And then the update took all of 90 seconds.

So, has anyone figured out the difference between the 1.02.14 and 1.02.16? Am I missing something important now? I know I can simply download the version from Japan, but I guess I'm figuring that it's been out since October 22 in Japan, and it hasn't been posted at the US site, so I'm not sure I feel the need to update right away again.

Anyway, thanks for your help, folks!
02-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #36
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by grey goat Quote
Thanks, ivoire. (And Pentaxtor, too!)

It's good to hear you got your K-7 back, ivoire.

I downloaded the latest firmware update--well, the US version, 1.02.14--and got it installed, no problem. I had 2/3 battery life remaining, but the instructions scared me into putting my fresh battery in there. And then the update took all of 90 seconds.

So, has anyone figured out the difference between the 1.02.14 and 1.02.16? Am I missing something important now? I know I can simply download the version from Japan, but I guess I'm figuring that it's been out since October 22 in Japan, and it hasn't been posted at the US site, so I'm not sure I feel the need to update right away again.

Anyway, thanks for your help, folks!
some people say it is a fix for the SR bug that causes unsharp images when SR is activated at high shutter speed.
02-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #37
Site Supporter
grey goat's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Spring Green, WI
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 320
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
some people say it is a fix for the SR bug that causes unsharp images when SR is activated at high shutter speed.
Well, in that case, I suppose it is worth downloading. But maybe not tonight.

Besides, maybe firmware version 1.03.xx will be released tomorrow. . . .
02-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #38
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2
QuoteOriginally posted by grey goat Quote
Besides, maybe firmware version 1.03.xx will be released tomorrow. . . .
Is it a rumour, wishful thinking or you have some pretty reliable info?..

02-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #39
Site Supporter
grey goat's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Spring Green, WI
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 320
QuoteOriginally posted by Denethor Quote
Is it a rumour, wishful thinking or you have some pretty reliable info?..
Just a bit of wishful thinking, that's all.

There are things I suppose I wish would get added in firmware, but right now I'm too busy figuring out what the K-7 can actually do.

I don't know enough about Pentax's firmware release history to have any real idea how often new firmware shows up, but if the last release was in late October '09 . . . well, it depends on whether Pentax figures out there's something worth adjusting, I guess.
02-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #40
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 7
This is interesting information. I just got a K-7 as an upgrade to my K100D and in comparison to the K100D I have been somewhat underwhelmed with the IQ of images out of the K-7 in low light. I believe my K100D is noticably better at seemingly the same settings with the same lenses in low light.

I can't figure out if it is focusing issue or noise issue, but I'm to the point where I am comparing pictures of the same subject, with the same lens on each camera and trying to get a better image out of the K-7. So far I've failed. White balance is definitely better on the K-7, but focus and noise are worse. Is this to be expected? Any suggestions?

JPEG format
FA50mm 1.4 lens
testing in ISO 800 to 1600
testing in both auto WB and also Tungsten setting

Thanks in advance,
Mike
02-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #41
Veteran Member
netuser's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Azores Islands, Portugal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,241
QuoteOriginally posted by sillyzippy Quote
This is interesting information. I just got a K-7 as an upgrade to my K100D and in comparison to the K100D I have been somewhat underwhelmed with the IQ of images out of the K-7 in low light. I believe my K100D is noticably better at seemingly the same settings with the same lenses in low light.

I can't figure out if it is focusing issue or noise issue, but I'm to the point where I am comparing pictures of the same subject, with the same lens on each camera and trying to get a better image out of the K-7. So far I've failed. White balance is definitely better on the K-7, but focus and noise are worse. Is this to be expected? Any suggestions?

JPEG format
FA50mm 1.4 lens
testing in ISO 800 to 1600
testing in both auto WB and also Tungsten setting

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Don't forget k-7 gets at the best using/developing with raw instead of jpeg.

Also, understand since it has more mpixels it will have more noise (that of course on PP you can deal with)

02-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #42
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 7
Should I try dialing down the mpixels to 6 or 10 to be similar to K100D?
02-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #43
Veteran Member
netuser's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Azores Islands, Portugal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,241
QuoteOriginally posted by sillyzippy Quote
Should I try dialing down the mpixels to 6 or 10 to be similar to K100D?
If you are going to print the same size as you did with the k100d it will be more or less the same.

Instead of dialing down you should perfect your PP, if it's the case.

I discover that jpeg engine of k7 is terrible BUT raw developing gives the best IQ against what you want to compare

Give it a try...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, firmware, k7, k7 firmware, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamron 17-50mm a worthy "downgrade" (from Pentax 16-50mm)??? Ubuntu_user Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 53 11-07-2010 06:23 PM
K200D to K-x: upgrade, downgrade, or "sidegrade"? ChooseAName Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 07-19-2010 09:36 AM
Did I just downgrade to K100D Super, or actually upgrade? pentaman Pentax DSLR Discussion 28 12-14-2009 10:14 PM
Considering a body downgrade--have I lost my mind? heatherslightbox Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 06-02-2009 07:12 AM
K200d owner Downgrade??? shiestmiester Pentax DSLR Discussion 14 02-25-2009 02:22 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:27 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top