Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-05-2010, 02:46 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I dont want a K7x hybrid as it does not give much to offer nor consider it a significant upgrade. better High ISO performance alone doesn't cut it for me, otherwise I wont upgrade.

the things I would consider for an APS-C upgrade if FF is not possible would be:

1.> faster and more accurate Auto-Focus and Auto-tracking
2.> FPS speed is set to 9-12 fps
3.> bigger buffer
4.> brighter and larger viewfinder
5.> improved live view mode ( I hope they resolve the laggy and shaky focusing especially during LV magnification)
6.> grid lines during LV mode for point of reference on the entire image and a thumbnail option.
7.> great HDR
8> HDR for RAW
9.> maybe a 1.2x crop factor but these dont come cheap and much expensive than FF.
10.> faster flash x-sync

01-05-2010, 03:58 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Oh yes one more thing: 50 ISO please, make it 25 if possible. wall
01-05-2010, 04:12 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
I can understand you, but resolution is never enough for instance in macro photography, it is my second interest in photo work, and I would love to count a flies eyes, I am kinda in envy about 7D results when considering it's just an APS-C format. Please take a look the detail difference of the both cameras in the dark green cloth on the left. Pentax is so close to that IQ, IMO it'll be happen less than 2 years by Pentax too.

Digital Cameras, Pentax K-7 Digital Camera Test Image

Digital Cameras, Canon EOS 7D Digital Camera Test Image
Like I said - it depends on one's specific needs. But of course I won't argue with the fact that there always would be a proper application of more pixels... Macro being an excellent example you presented.
01-05-2010, 04:58 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Oh yes one more thing: 50 ISO please, make it 25 if possible. :wall:
why stop at 25? make it 8.

01-05-2010, 05:07 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Rather than a specific product, I would very much like Pentax to pursue the following:
  1. Regular, well-documented & effective firmware updates
    • Ie some after-care. Instead of making a product, lumping the consumer with it and issuing one or two bug updates, build a bond with the consumer that says to him/her "once you've bought it we'll keep improving it. New functionality, settings, better IQ, and so on"
  2. Some sort of exploration into allowing 3rd part firmware addons, ie like you get apps on the iPod.
    • then you could, for example get an adobe app for £5 for filters, a NN app for £5 for sharpening, a geolocator app... and so on. One day it'll come, it'd be a smart thing for Pentax to do. Like outsourcing the bits they're not so good at but by doing so giving the consumer a far better choice.
01-05-2010, 06:00 AM   #36
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
why stop at 25? make it 8.
I was avoiding head rest chair expenses.

Head Rest
01-06-2010, 06:09 AM   #37

this would be very important to me (and totally worth spending quite some money for or switching to a different manufacturer):

- camera display lets you zoom in to exactly 1:1 (i mean 1 pixel in image = 1 pixel of LCD) for checking sharpness
- bigger, brighter, and accurate viewfinder
- tethering
- possibility to switch off dark frame substraction
- iso below 100
- possibility to directly connect a portable usb hard disk to copy images to, without the need for a computer in between

01-06-2010, 06:18 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
- possibility to directly connect a portable usb hard disk to copy images to, without the need for a computer in between
A very good idea, but power hungry. Already now many USB powered HDD's have problems operating with laptops or use dual USB plugs to provide sufficient power.
Still, cameras usually have high power capability, but they had to supply power for card reads at the same time too.
01-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
A very good idea, but power hungry.
true, but i wouldn't mind being dependent on a power plug for transferring my data. just don't want to have to carry a heavy computer when travelling.

(for portable hard disks that don't come with the possibility to use a power plug instead of usb power supply, the battery charger of the camera could have 2 usb connectors to function as a powered usb hub.
then, you could transfer your files in the hotel room while charging your batteries.)
01-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
true, but i wouldn't mind being dependent on a power plug for transferring my data. just don't want to have to carry a heavy computer when travelling.

(for portable hard disks that don't come with the possibility to use a power plug instead of usb power supply, the battery charger of the camera could have 2 usb connectors to function as a powered usb hub.
then, you could transfer your files in the hotel room while charging your batteries.)
That is a nice idea. It is probably too much real estate on the camera to have two plugs, but a portable USB HD plus a small powered hub is still way smaller and lighter than a laptop.
01-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
It is probably too much real estate on the camera to have two plugs
why on the camera? i meant on the battery charger

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
a portable USB HD plus a small powered hub is still way smaller and lighter than a laptop.
yes, that would work, too, if you just bought your own hub. but if pentax would integrate it into the charger, it would become a feauture.
but i don't know what pentax' market researchers would say to that :-)
01-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
That wouldn't work. It's something of a myth that noise is proportional to pixel size primarily - it is far more affect by *sensor* size.
It's hard to compare an old 6Mp sensor with a current 12-14Mp sensor. All else be equal, the lower MP count has the potential to offer a better fill factor. We'll now probably never know.

Dan.
01-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #43
juu
Veteran Member

a) a K-x with WR and AF indicators in VF

b) an affordable UWA WR zoom (either fix the price of 12-24 in UK and make it WR, or put out a 11-16 Tokina WR and price it the same as for other mounts)

c) an EVIL camera but with a decent grip and rangefinder/GF1 form factor
01-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #44
Pentaxian

The enhancements I'd like mainly rely on more CPU power. There is a balancing act between CPU power & power consumption/heat in a DSLR. But as CPU performance improves, I'd like to see:

1. HDR/bracketing without a tripod. The camera will align the stacked images. Wouldn't work for moving images, of course.

2. Greater HDR configurability.

3. A greater Auto-Levelling capability. Say +/- 3 degrees. If the sensor twisting can't go any further, do the remainder or all of the rotation computationally. Auto-crop.

4. Intervalometer > 99 shots.

5. Super-resolution and /or NR through in-camera stacking with auto-alignment. Puts high FPS or burst capabilites to better use for static shots.

6. A re-configurable RAW button (I alway shoot RAW). Perhaps it could be used to request a 8x or 16x review of the last shot to check focus accuracy.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 01-06-2010 at 03:52 PM.
01-07-2010, 06:26 AM   #45
Inactive Account

1) Real USM. SDM is a phony wannabe.
2) Tethering support
3) 1/250 flash sync speed

But primarily #1. If it isn't ring-type, it shouldn't exist. We have the screw drive, so this SDM micro-motor trash shouldn't have ever been considered.