Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
...I am thinking that 15 MP is already too many.
If you are happy with 8MP just downscale your images; the noise will go away as well accordingly. Others like/need the resolution. Larger pixels only perform better when compared pixel by pixel, not regarding the whole image.

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
...Canon made more pixels happen with a new technology on APS-C format:
Can, don't read RH's blog, unless you thrive in being misguided. Seriously, I don't think the K-7 image showing the brush is in focus. Often such test images, albeit consistency is aimed at, differ in a number of ways, such as where the focus is exactly. Sometimes images made to compare noise are then used to compare resolution and vice versa. I've seen a comparison that made the K20D look a lot better than a Nikon D300 and we all know that this isn't the whole truth.

My own 2 cents (I haven't given this a lot of thought, but here I go):
  • If video is included, go the whole way:
    • Pixel binning instead of sub-sampling
    • Manual control over aperture, ISO, shutter speed, as much as possible
  • Don't use sub-sampling for LV either. Make LV the ultimate focusing aid.
  • Tethered shooting
  • Wireless image transfer: Camera should connect to a WLAN access point and appear as a hard drive. Could support a nice way of tethered shooting.
  • Include vignetting for in-camera lens corrections.
  • Support for people wearing glasses:
    • Higher dioptre range for the viewfinder and/or
    • Make it easier to see the whole frame when using glasses (not sure I even wanted a FF-sized viewfinder!)
  • Keep the noise philosophy, any in-camera NR should be optional
  • Allow SR to be permanently active to avoid the initialisation period after the half-press
  • Show all image relevant parameters in the viewfinder and on the top LCD at all times (-> ISO value)
  • Allow AF-C with focus priority and AF-S with shutter priority (i.e. decouple focus/shutter priority from focusing mode).
  • Improve support for third party lenses (AF adjustment, lens distortion correction).
  • Add image auto-alignment to in-camera HDR support (ask Lumolabs how to do it efficiently in-camera, if that's the problem).
  • Fix the remaining Auto-ISO in P mode bug.
  • Allow better (manual) control over the top LCD illumination.
  • Better support for older lenses:
    • Allow entering/selection of lens model to support min/max aperture ranges (real AV mode), post lens correction, etc.

Last edited by Class A; 01-07-2010 at 05:20 PM.
01-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If you are happy with 8MP just downscale your images; the noise will go away as well accordingly. Others like/need the resolution. Larger pixels only perform better when compared pixel by pixel, not regarding the whole image.
Of course you're right and I agree with you. But I cannot downscale at shot-time (in-camera) and still get the RAW file. Besides, I do see merit in keeping the original files (PEFs or DNGs).
01-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #48
Veteran Member

If it isn't full frame, I could care less what other improvements or features they add. I was never interested in the smaller format, and I'm still not. Bought some to play with, but I won't be wasting any money on "upgrades" of something I'm not happy with anyway. The original issues of cost that led Pentax to produce APS-C me-too bodies (i.e., costs of FF sensors too high to bring a camera out at a marketable price) are no longer an obstacle; it's time for them to bring out a FF dSLR already!
01-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
If it isn't full frame, I could care less what other improvements or features they add. I was never interested in the smaller format, and I'm still not. Bought some to play with, but I won't be wasting any money on "upgrades" of something I'm not happy with anyway. The original issues of cost that led Pentax to produce APS-C me-too bodies (i.e., costs of FF sensors too high to bring a camera out at a marketable price) are no longer an obstacle; it's time for them to bring out a FF dSLR already!
Enough with the talk of FF! Do you really want a FF camera with SAFOX and SDM lenses? IMO Pentax needs to catch up with their competitors on AF and lens motor technology before going to FF. In these two areas they are very far behind. Going to FF before fixing these issues will only make their problems worse. People spending over $2000 on a FF body aren't going to put up with slow AF and unreliable focus motors. The DOF issues in FF make accurate AF even more challenging.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 01-08-2010 at 11:45 PM.