Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Let us not hijack the thread and pull it towards noise/pixels size discussion. After all, we were asked to list what we would like to have. I listed my opinion to the best of my knowledge. I trust there is another thread where noise vs pixel size are discussed, and honestly - I'd rather stay away from there.
I'll agree to that. My initial comment / objective stands

continued improvement to noise at high ISO while maintaining the same 12-14 MP resolution.

I don't really see a need for more resolution, but would like to have even better (read that reduced) noise at the same resolution.

01-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #17
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, as above, better noise control at 14Mp resolution.
But also, more reliable P-TTL, more durable, faster and reliable SDM technology in their lenses.
01-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #18
MGV

A real replacement for the K200D, weather sealing, top LCD, focus conformation light, K-X sensor, and the same price as the K200D.
01-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Improvement in the autofocusing is all I want in the next body, other than that my K-7 is perfect. Aside from that, speaking of AF, it'd be great if some of you who own a K-7 and agree could do the same here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/85399-k-7-auto-foc...tml#post866005

01-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

with respect to the AF illuminator, is it a problem only with kit lenses.

most of my lenses are F2.8 or faster, which adds a distinct advantage to low light AF performance when compared to some lenses that are F4-5.6 or F5-6.7.

Maybe it should be a user adjustable item, based upon light and lens wide open aperture.
01-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #21

improvements over the K20D

since i can't compare with the K7 (which may have fulfilled some of my wishes already), this is what i would change on the K20D

-fully customizable front and back 'wheels' (if i'm shooting M series lenses, i want my aperture setting on my lens, my shutter speed on a wheel and my iso on a wheel)
-use of other modes with manual lenses (even though, in the end, manual mode suits me just fine)
-more accurate battery indicator
-better focusing screen for manual focus
-100% viewfinder (while still offering enough magnification)
-nicer shutter noise
-in built flash bouncer
well, i'm really trying hard, but actually it's a very likeable camera, and only the viewfinder bothers me once in a while.
01-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by MGV Quote
A real replacement for the K200D, weather sealing, top LCD, focus conformation light, K-X sensor, and the same price as the K200D.
This

I would buy one tomorrow.

01-05-2010, 12:49 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Simple question, without loosing Pentax colors or other properties, increasing resolution to at least Canon 7D would be great (I refer imaging-resource test pictures at 100ISO).
01-05-2010, 12:59 AM   #24
emr

For many the ability to turn off DFS would be a major issue.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/66277-k7-long-exposures.html
01-05-2010, 01:18 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Allow for switching between the screw driven motor and SDM for lenses that support this.
01-05-2010, 01:22 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Simple question, without loosing Pentax colors or other properties, increasing resolution to at least Canon 7D would be great (I refer imaging-resource test pictures at 100ISO).
Contrary to your opinion (absolutely nothing personal here, of course), I am thinking that 15 MP is already too many. Perhaps 12 MP is the sweet spot from my point of view... But pixel count race is at large and to that end Pentax has marketplace to compete upon.
01-05-2010, 01:45 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Boris hello ,
You are talking theoretically, I am talking about hard core results, Canon made more pixels happen with a new technology on APS-C format:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/pentax-news-rumors/50476d1262...icrolenses-jpg

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/pentax-dslr-discussion/40026d...-k-7-brush-jpg

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/pentax-news-rumors/50477d1262...non-eos-7d-jpg
01-05-2010, 01:54 AM   #28
Veteran Member

A complete overhaul of the flash system, from camera algorithms determining exposure to completely new flash units that work perfectly wirelessly in multiple flash setups. This sadly is the Achilles heel of Pentax even during film days. I have used the Olympus, Minolta and Nikon flash systems flawlessly but Pentax is badly lagging in this area. To date they can't even come up with a dedicated wireless flash transmitter for off-camera flash triggering.

The Pentax flashes could be better in build quality and ease of use. Recycling time is nothing to shout about. For the event shooters and wedding shooters, they won't even come close to choosing Pentax as a working kit because of the limitations of the flash system.
01-05-2010, 02:24 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Boris hello ,
You are talking theoretically, I am talking about hard core results, Canon made more pixels happen with a new technology on APS-C format.
Can, I am not ecstatic about the images that I've seen from Canon 7D. And I was talking practically having moved from K10D to K-7 (I skipped K20D) - I only find that I need more storage to keep the files and I need to wait a bit longer for processing. Otherwise, I (personally) gain no significant benefits from going up from 10MP to 14.5MP. I did print A3 format from my K10D files and they looked fab.

Of course, your photography is different than mine and so are the gear requirements. I am more concerned with my camera as a photographic tool and less concerned with pixels, noise, etc, because K10D did fully satisfy my needs.
01-05-2010, 02:40 AM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Can, I am not ecstatic about the images that I've seen from Canon 7D. And I was talking practically having moved from K10D to K-7 (I skipped K20D) - I only find that I need more storage to keep the files and I need to wait a bit longer for processing. Otherwise, I (personally) gain no significant benefits from going up from 10MP to 14.5MP. I did print A3 format from my K10D files and they looked fab.

Of course, your photography is different than mine and so are the gear requirements. I am more concerned with my camera as a photographic tool and less concerned with pixels, noise, etc, because K10D did fully satisfy my needs.
I can understand you, but resolution is never enough for instance in macro photography, it is my second interest in photo work, and I would love to count a flies eyes, I am kinda in envy about 7D results when considering it's just an APS-C format. Please take a look the detail difference of the both cameras in the dark green cloth on the left. Pentax is so close to that IQ, IMO it'll be happen less than 2 years by Pentax too.

Digital Cameras, Pentax K-7 Digital Camera Test Image

Digital Cameras, Canon EOS 7D Digital Camera Test Image