Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Strong winds knocked over my K200D+ DA*1-50

Yesterday, I was outside trying to take a picture, and strong winds knocked over my K200D + DA* 16-50 f2.8 while it was on a tripod. the camera crashed onto concrete. the battery compartment edge of my camera, plus the lens hood of my 16-50mm lens hit the concrete.

Functionally, everything seems fine. the lens was stuck when I first tried to change the focal length, but after wiggling around the front of the lens gently, I was able to get it unstuck. now when I change focal lengths, there is slight resistance and gentle clicking around 20mm and around 45mm. however, when I tilt the lens so that it is facing directly up, this resistance goes away. I suspect that there is some chipped/loose piece of plastic in the lens somewhere. I took some pictures at various focal lengths, and the lens appears to be working fine.

The battery compartment has 3 ledges to keep it tight, and 2 of them were chipped off. The battery compartment can still be closed, but the front lip is sprung open slightly. Everything in the camera works fine. at first when I turned it on, there was a memory card error, but that went away when I reinserted the memory card.

I am wondering what are my options at this point. I've read threads before of people shipping their cameras/lenses in to pentax for repair. How much did those options cost?

Also, has anyone ever opened their lens before? I see a few screws I might loosen to take a look inside the lens perhaps(I have access to a dust/free environment in my research facility(a hood for cell culture work).

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

*edit*
I realized that when I turn the focal length, the front element no longer moves as it should.

Last edited by fannibal; 01-04-2010 at 06:29 PM.
01-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Send what's broken in for repairs, DON'T do it your self. If it was very old lenses you might try it your self, but you don't want to make the 16-50 repair more expensive than it already will be (not saying it will be expensive though, I have no idea). Hopefully you have insurance.

I once managed to get my K10D with batterygrip and the Sigma 105mm macro to tip over, everything was fine except a few small things, the lens filter threads were a bit bent, I fixed those. I also had the wire release connected, and it was landed on, so the pin got bent, when I straightened it and put it back in, grabbed the wire release and held it in my hand (so the inserted pin twisted inside it's socket) that's when I broke something inside my camera and had to change the whole main circuit board, it cost a lot to fix, stupidly I didn't have insurance :P
01-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Do you have homeowner's or renters insurance? You might be able to make a claim for replacement in case the repair estimate is too high.

Steve
01-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry for the accident.
But yes, if you want it fixed, send it away - don't risk doing it yourself. Too much electronic stuff to go wrong...

01-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

you should probably get it fixed, call pentax and describe what happened and see if they can give you a minimum cost or at least order of magnitude. This may help in the decision/

Not to make light of your problem, but this reminds me of a post on tripods. All tripods should weigh 30 pounds, .....
- a 5 pound tripod needs 25 pounds of weight,
- a 15 pound tripod needs 15 pounds of weight
- a 30 pound tripod does not need a weight
01-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
you should probably get it fixed, call pentax and describe what happened and see if they can give you a minimum cost or at least order of magnitude. This may help in the decision/

Not to make light of your problem, but this reminds me of a post on tripods. All tripods should weigh 30 pounds, .....
- a 5 pound tripod needs 25 pounds of weight,
- a 15 pound tripod needs 15 pounds of weight
- a 30 pound tripod does not need a weight
Good guide - what then of outdoor lighting setups?
I've had a number of close calls, and finally one destroyed umbrella as a result of a stiff breeze blowing the stand + flash + umbrella over - no extra weight but then no provision to add any...
01-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

A bunch of good advice above, so I won't repeat that, but I just want to add that I feel for you - I had almost the exact same experience last summer when a wind gust blew over my tripod + K20D, DBG-2, DA*16-50... In my case the battery grip was totally destroyed, and this seemed to absorb some of the force - my lens showed some minor damage to the inside of the focusing ring, but kept working fine. I ended up selling it when I got out of Pentax. Sorry to hear of another event like this .
01-05-2010, 05:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I am sorry for your accident. I can certainly identify with this as I too, has a close call last year. I was shooting in Rottnest island (30mins ferry ride from Perth) and I was using the DA14 and K100D then. The wind is so strong that it toppled over the camera....had I not had quick reflex at that time that enable me to quickly grab the camera strap, I would have suffered heavy losses. Since then, I have always tried to put a heavy weight hanging from the centre column of the tripod to make the combo more sturdy....