Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mode settings&manual lenses in cold weather

Howdy y'all,With winter upon us,(in this hemisphere) we're shooting in the refrigerator
I'm using a K20D with an assortment of my old K mnt. SMC manual lenses
50mm f/1.4,300mm f/4 mostly.The options one has with exposure control(mode)
is Av or manual.The question I have... is one setting more energy efficient than the
other? I carry 2 batteries, one is always in my pocket. Is there much of a difference
in current draw between the 2 modes or am I just "splitting a hair"

01-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Av is not an option with manual K-mount lenses. Well, the camera won't self-destruct, and will in fac take a picture, but it won't be aperture priority - it will be "aperture ignored" - all pictures taken in Av mode are shot wide open, regardless of the aperture ring setting.

So there isn't even a hair to split here (that's all it would have been, though, if Av did work).
01-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Av is not an option with manual K-mount lenses. Well, the camera won't self-destruct, and will in fac take a picture, but it won't be aperture priority - it will be "aperture ignored" - all pictures taken in Av mode are shot wide open, regardless of the aperture ring setting.

So there isn't even a hair to split here (that's all it would have been, though, if Av did work).
Hi Mark,with both the lenses I mentioned I've played around with them in "Ai" and with both of them
I shoot mostly wide opened and it seems that "Ai" is closer to optimum on the histogram than manual.Thats why I ask.
01-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
...it won't be aperture priority - it will be "aperture ignored" - all pictures taken in Av mode are shot wide open, regardless of the aperture ring setting...

A phrase very nicely turned! I am going to have to remember that!

Steve

01-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Hi Mark,with both the lenses I mentioned I've played around with them in "Ai" and with both of them
I shoot mostly wide opened
Make that *exclusively* wide open in Av mode.

QuoteQuote:
and it seems that "Ai" is closer to optimum on the histogram than manual.
There should be no difference in a controlled test - any difference you are seeing would have to be just random variation.