Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What now?
Buy a K20D because it is the better K10D and suits the BG2 for (600 EUR) 1432.56%
Buy a K-x because it has better high ISO-performance, video and 4,7pic/sek (500 EUR) 920.93%
Wait 1 Month until K10D is back and buy the K-7 when it has a similar price tag 1534.88%
Leave Pentax and be a real professional Photographer like Canikons ;-) 511.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OP you should come down to Singapore with your broken camera.
There is a sales promotion now on for this Chinese New Year for the Pentax K-7 body at S$1499 only (about 750 Euros/US$1072 converted).

You need to trade in a used (or new) camera, any camera will do: digital or film, P&S or SLR, working or non-working. A better camera would give you a better deal, which means you can have a brand new K-7 for less than S$1499! As a tourist you can even get a refund of the 7% GST off the purchase price.

Last edited by creampuff; 01-05-2010 at 10:27 PM.
01-06-2010, 01:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimo Quote
What now?
Please keep us posted. The suspense is killing me already!
01-06-2010, 05:34 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
3-4 weeks to replace a switch?
Pentax-Service in Germany does not seem to be good.
Many complaints exist.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Every product has it's lifecycle.
It's up to you know to decide whether or not you're ready to move ahead or re-invest in a replacement.
Just want to get you involved in my decision :-)

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
If I was in the same position I'd crawl into a corner, assume the fetal position, suck my thumb and hope time goes by quickly.

Do you have any buddies who would let you borrow their camera for the time being? I think that's what I'd do if my K10D was in the shop, but I wouldn't send it in for repairs if it was costly. Have you considered upgrading to K20D?
after my complaint about the rude behaviour when calling the Service, i now get it for free

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Assuming that you have no replacement camera. I think I'd spend the time doing two things, reading photography technique books and doing a lot of post processing / editing of my images. With that amount of gear you must have a few to sort through.
a very good idea

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I just went to a K20D from a K10. Since you have the grip I'd just grab a K20D and then sell the K10D when it gets back from repair to recoup some of the cost if you can't wait. If you can waitn then do so and see what the new models bring. I like having the sealing, dual dials and top LCD of the K--D series.
these are exactly the pros for the K20D; it is the K10D improved, and i am so happy with it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I voted buy the K20D over the K7D, even though when faced with a similar dilema in may, I bought a K7D.

Here's my logic

When I look at your lens list, everything is relitively new. OK you have an A 50mm F1.2, but that is the only MF lens and all the others are FA or newer designs.

In addition you have the BG and the grip and batteries are the same for both cameras.

The K20 also gives you focus adjustment if you need it, and for you that is pretty much the only benefit over the K10.

the other things the K7 gives you are marginal at best.

Thx for sharing this information here

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
As far as my experience goes, that's lighting fast.
So, what's the problem?
Pentax really seems to have a serious Service-problem

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
Pentax knows that this is a problem, (if they want to admit it) poor quality control by a sub-contractor caused many of these switch levers to fall off. I'd lean on them for help in paying for the repair. It's worth a try, they might just help out.
i did not need these arguments, it was the unfriednly peaople of the outsourced Service-company

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
K20D for the same logic as Lowell, and assuming that you need a replacement sooner rather than later.
You'll feel right at home with the K20D knowing the K10D so well.
This is what makes me really think of buying the K20D

QuoteOriginally posted by arbib Quote
K20d- For higher Pixel count (recorded detail and cropping if needed), and higher clean ISO usage

K-x for Very Clean high ISO, if you use 800 and above often.

K7 if the newer AF and Exposure updates are needed.
... and because of these arguments i am still not sure what to buy

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
600 Euros for a K20D,,,

is that too little or too much?
i think it is an fair price

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
OP you should come down to Singapore with your broken camera.
There is a sales promotion
unfortunately i am not gonna be in Spore this year

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Please keep us posted. The suspense is killing me already!
i surely will :-)

Last edited by Deimo; 01-06-2010 at 01:35 PM.
01-06-2010, 07:38 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think some people are confusing you with the idea of keeping up to the latest and greatest.

You are essentually happy with the K10, and have invested in split image and grips batteries etc, which are useless on the K7 or K0-x, but which would be useful on the K20.

yes the K-x appears a little better at ISO 3200 than the K20 or K7 but I can tell you that the K7 (and likely the K20 as the sensors are similar) is not bad either, and I use it regularly at ISO 800 and have been using it with some success at ISO 1600 and 3200 for wildlife of all things.

As I stated, for me the improved metering (especially with non A lenses) was a big issue, I have 12 of them. You have none. I use a TC, you don't. will the K7 meter better with a 77 segment metering system as opposed to 11 yes, under certain conditions, but I am sure you understand fully how the K10 meters after 30,000 shots with your lenses, the K20 will be the same. that may be very important to you, to behave the same.

consider all the points, perhaps for you the K20 makes a lot more sense, I thnk it does, and you can then sit on the fence and see what comes next.

01-06-2010, 07:50 AM   #20
Pentaxian

If you photograph things that move or things in dimly lit places, get the K-x.
If you photograph things in inclement conditions or landscapes or stills, get the K20d.

Both very good cameras, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Choose the one that matches your needs and will complement the K10d when it returns.
01-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #21
Veteran Member

It's a tough call.

Because I wasn't completely satisfied with the ergonomics of the k10d, I skipped the k20d altogether. After getting a k-7, I got rid of the k10d and accessories. For me, the k-7 had everything I wanted in performance and ergonomics so I'd go that route.

However, if you really like the ergonomics of the k10d, then the k20d might be a better fit for you.

Cheers.
01-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Yes it's very sad to send a camera away, just sent my K10 in on the 4th and I feel as though I lost a child.. as far as an upgrade a K20 might be good but I got a K7 for Christmas, put a grip on it and could not be happier.. what a camera.. but I'm still thumb sucking till my K10 gets back safely.
01-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #23

Original Poster
my K10D is back. That was a very fast Service in my opinion. Only 7 Days in total!

Result: i don't buy additional body now, because now it is almost like new :-)
I could sell it on the bay and upgrade to K20D but as i am a nostalgic guy i gonna keep it because it was my first DSLR...

01-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimo Quote
my K10D is back. That was a very fast Service in my opinion. Only 7 Days in total!

Result: i don't buy additional body now, because now it is almost like new :-)
I could sell it on the bay and upgrade to K20D but as i am a nostalgic guy i gonna keep it because it was my first DSLR...
that's even better than my K10 with pentax canada at 10 days.

Like you, my impression is the camera came back looking like new.

I had to check the brassing on the strap loops to be sure they didn;t switch bodies