Pentax K20d
12-24
16-50*
50-135*

AF540FGZ Flash
BG2 Battery Grip
2 extra pentax batteries
many light shaping pieces

All are basically in new condition if not mint and i have boxes/accessories for all items except the star lens.

To me this setup equals at least 3000$. Paypal fees would be about 100$, shipping+insurance would be 50$. The extra fees do not bother me too much, but is moving such a large package a good idea through the mail? And is there an alternative to paypal that is safe?

I am located in a remote area so local craigslist pick up is not an option for me. I was just looking for tips from personal experience on selling a packaged item with such a large value. I do not even know if there are people in the market for an all inclusive set like this...

Thanks all.

01-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #2

All major shippers can insure the package for damage / loss / theft. Don't be afraid to ship it UPS/FedEx/USPS if you find a buyer. Just pack each separate item in bubble wrap and make sure the package is sealed well.

A few years back, UPS has lost a package of mine that I insured for over $500 (laptop I sold on eBay). After a few forms and phone calls, I had a check in my hand for the full amount from UPS corporate.
01-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

As a rough estimate I think you are close on total value. I have gone through a bunch of things in the past few years, and regardless of condition used is still used when it comes to selling - you can of course sell only for prices the market will bear! From my experience, you will definitely NOT get as much if you try and sell it as a single set. If you put it in the marketplace here, you'll be bombarded with part-out requests regardless of whether you say you'll split it or not.

Best advice is to check the marketplace archive and any recent ebay auction endings to get a guage of pricing, and sell most of it individually (with the exception of possibly the body, batteries and grip). Good luck with whatever you decide!

edit - with all original accessories and the equipment being in excellent/mint condition, be realistic but dont sell your stuff short either!
01-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree with pxpaulx, not many people are going to shell out 3 grand for an entire kit. You'll have a much higher chance of selling them faster if you sell them individually.

01-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you split up the items, sell them one by one, it won't be too much value for each package I guess. Besides, people sold items like FA*300/2.8 or even higher priced items through ebay or online sources like our Pentaxforums w/o much problem, I don't think you need to worry too much.

Good luck
01-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just a note:
This is not a large Pentax system, but a very small one.

01-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Just a note:
This is not a large Pentax system, but a very small one.

haha! Excellent point! One should just take a peek at some of the signatures of people who frequent the lens discussion forum or photos of some people's collections.
01-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I sold a similar system right HERE almost two years ago and all went smoothly. I pieced it all out, and most of the stuff sold within a day or so, a few items took ~2 weeks to get moved, but overall is was a VERY smooth process.

I used PayPal, once I got paid, I boxed it up and dropped it off at the Post Office. I used USPS Priority Mail, and added insurance up to the value of the item.

Good luck!

01-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Certainly price your items individually and include photos in your listing.
You'll see the gear taken away from you by buyers here quite swiftly.
01-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
Forum Member

No question about it. Selling individually, while more of a hassle, will sell faster and for a greater total, than if sold as a set.
01-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
I sold a similar system right HERE almost two years ago and all went smoothly. I pieced it all out, and most of the stuff sold within a day or so, a few items took ~2 weeks to get moved, but overall is was a VERY smooth process.

I used PayPal, once I got paid, I boxed it up and dropped it off at the Post Office. I used USPS Priority Mail, and added insurance up to the value of the item.

Good luck!
Can't stress this enough as well. Take payment through paypal only, and ship to confirmed addresses. Of the half dozen times I have shipped outside the US, it has been nothing but a pain, lengthy, and to me only worth it if you can get $100+ more over selling domestically for an item in my book - nothing in the items you listed is particularly scarce that it would garner that much more internationally, so I would suggest to skip Intl.

If you purchase your label through paypal you also get free delivery confirmation sent via email to yourself and the buyer), not to mention a 5% discount on USPS postage (not much, but something!). This way you are covered front back and sideways for proof of shipment and insured in case anything happens during shipping.

Someone else commented on offering a return policy; I would argue against one - as long as you are accurate in your description (down to cosmetics, any glass marks internally or externally, and aperture functionality), then the only reason left for returning is buyers remorse (not a valid reason for return between two private parties...you aren't a business!). If there is damage in transit (never had happen personally, have around 300 feedback on ebay probably half selling), then it is an insurance related issue anyway.

Again, good luck!
01-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Im not sure where you are located, but if in the US, you could try the B&H used department. You are not going to get top dollar, but you can get store credit or cash quickly. For example, a 16-50 in excellent condition will bring you $360. (I can't believe that lens is selling for over $1000 new! I wouldn't pay $360 for it new) I recently tried it, and there were no hassles. You may be interested in finding out what they think your equipment is worth. Just go to the link, and you can select all your equipment you want to sell, and get an instant estimate. Here is the link if you want to find out even just for fun:

B&H Photo Video Pro Audio - used equipment quote

I would be very surprised if you can get $3000 for that setup. That is probably not far from what you paid for everything new.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 01-06-2010 at 09:25 PM.
01-07-2010, 05:11 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Probably over estimating the value of your equipment a little bit. Lenses are worth quite a bit more than the body, depending on how much you have used it. The real question is what others are willing to pay for it. You can certainly use the market place here or e bay, although you would need to make a donation to use the marketplace here.