Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2007, 09:11 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Wedding Shooters - K10D??

I shoot weddings and portraits with my 2 (count'em) K10D's.

Are there any other people out there who also shoot Weddings (or other portraits) as a business either full or part time?

Maybe we can get Mo to start a separate group for us.

Anyone belong to DWF or WPPI?

06-20-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
Inactive Account

A shot 1 wedding when I had my K10. I do have a photography business. I shoot mostly sports though (hence my move to Canon). But I still hang out here too cause there are a lot of friendly people here.
06-20-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am a wedding and portrait shooter using a K10D. A "pro corner" would be kind of cool. A place to discuss the shooting and business issues specific to Pentax and otherwise.
06-20-2007, 02:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
Ahhh. A fellow DWF'er

et

06-20-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Former DWF'er, actually. I thought I was the only Pentaxian over there.
06-20-2007, 07:53 PM   #6

Yeah i shoot weddings with a k10D as well. I have a small business doing photography & design work. When I say small I refer to the fact that I have a FT day job which funds all my photography related purchases. I keeps me busy on the weekends and after hours though - great fun - would love to see it become full time over the coming years.
06-20-2007, 08:01 PM   #7

I've just started doing 2nd shooting weddings to get my toe into the biz. Doing portraiture, and some commercial work, all with my k10d. Like switch79, I have a FT job which supports my LBA. Looking to increase photo work to full time in 2 years. A plan. =)

06-20-2007, 08:18 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I've shot 3 weddings now so I guess you'd say I'm a big time beginner!! I've used Minolta gear and a 7D which is a great camera. We've been waiting for a replacement for the 7D for 2 years now and Sony has promised one but no one knows when. Because of this many 7D users are looking for cameras in the right price range with similar build quality and good ergonomics (hard to beat the 7D here) the K10D is the closest thing. I've been patiently waiting for the K10D kit prices to tumble and we are seeing that now so it will most likely be my new system and new wedding workhorse. I think that a wedding related thread in this forum would be very useful because there is so much to know. Having a thread where we can bounce ideas off each other is what forums are all about. I'd love to see some of your wedding pics with the K10D, especially with the use of the Pentax flash system. How reliable is the Pentax flash system compared to the Nikon one which is suppost the be the best (Canon sucks here and Sony's flash system isn't much better)? Maybe just keep posting your wedding stuff in here until it becomes a sticky.

Tim H
06-20-2007, 08:53 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with you Timbuctoo, very new so always on the look out for people in the biz who share their experiences.

I also do something else FT and shoot for the joy of it when I can. A couple of jobs lined up keep me on my toes and I'm practicing on techniques in the meantime.

I agree, a separate forum would be great.
06-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Here are some shots from a recent wedding.

This one has been retouched to the nines. The bride was photographed against a grove of trees that I really liked the day of the wedding but really didn't like later. I cut out the trees and created a custom made blue sky, complete with clouds, to put behind her.

A B&W....

and a collage....

Sorry these are all so small, they were sized for use on my blog.
06-20-2007, 11:18 PM   #11

Original Poster
Good PS work!

Shooting Pentax has its challenges, particularly when I show up where there are multiple photographers (LDS weddings) because there are 5-10 weddings that day.....I sometimes feel strange as they whip out their Canon 5d with 70-200 IS lens...and there I sit with my 43mm limited getting this image.

Oh well. I'm happy...and I just got an order from this weeding....
Attached Images

06-20-2007, 11:22 PM   #12

Original Poster
And another...

I just love the compactness of the camera...and even though I do a lot of black and white....the color, especially with primes is awesome.
Attached Images

06-21-2007, 04:06 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I agree we could use a Weddings (or paid for work) subsection. Pictures, tips, gear, etc. I've been out of the loop for about 10 years and getting back into it lately. It's like starting over again.
06-21-2007, 06:53 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Those are some pretty tight shots for 43mm. Looks great though.

Yeah, sitting outside the temple with what would look like a paparazzi group to an unasuming viewer. I don't get as many LDS weddings as I used to. Shame too, I live about 8 blocks from the temple. They are also very easy to shoot because you don't shoot the ceremony - no worrying about how close you can get, whether you can use flash, etc. On the other hand, there are fewer interesting shots a lot of the time. No ceremony, no prep shots, the reception is in the parents back yard. It can go either way. I am doing one this Saturday. The reception will be in the gym.... my favorite [sarcasm].
06-21-2007, 09:36 AM   #15

I've done 5 weddings in the last two years, 4 as the second camera and one on my own so I guess I qualify to join this thread. I use both my K10D and my iST*D, I do all the portraits with the K10 and candids with the D*

Like someone else mentioned I also have a FT job, and shoot weddings and other events to pay for my addiction to photography.