Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #1

Sold my K110D to my neighbor, ordered K-x

Not only I sold my K110D to my neighbor but I think I sold them the Pentax reputation too. Prior to the sale, I lent them the camera so they can try it out for a couple days. After they spent an afternoon using it, it was a done deal

I used the funds to finance the K-x purchase. I am expecting the UPS truck in the next day or two

I thought a long time about the white k-x but finally ordered the black one because I am afraid I will get tired of the white color after a while. Black remains classic and is a ''sure thing'' in my opinion.

I downloaded the manual and read it twice already!

I am wondering if I will miss the following features:
- quick focus ring on the DAL stock 18-55mm lens. My K110D had the DA lens with quick focus and I understand the new DAL stock lens does not have it. By the way, can you do any harm if you rotate the ring without flipping the switch to Manual focus, will you hear gear grinding? I think quick focus is a must if you shoot videos of moving objects right?

- red LEDs in the viewfinder
- top LCD screen

I look forward to the HD videos, low noise in high ISO, faster focus and live view

01-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm thinking after a little while I'll be changing my backup camera from my K110D to the K-x. I don't think you'll miss the top LCD much, since the back LCD will show the same information I believe, and the only time I used the top LCD was on a tripod, otherwise I made adjustments in the viewfinder anyway.

The red LEDs I would miss however. There is only one center one, but I think you'll get used to it and adjust around that.

The pros would still far outweigh the cons.
01-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't try to use quick focusing on a lens that doesn't offer it - not worth the risk damaging the camera (forget the lens. )
Yes, I too was disappointed over the absence of red focus confirmation dots when I tried it out - my only con for this fine entry-level camera.
01-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It will be a wonderful replacement for your K110D. I have been using my Pentax K-x white in DisneyLand and Seaworld and you can see how it perform for me. Missing the red dot is a bit of disappointment for me. However wrong that may be to rely on the red dot for reference to focusing, I still miss it in the K-x. I find it a non-issue in shooting daytime as the imprints on the focusing screen is good enough to guide my center focal point. The video is nice feature to find in an entry level camera such as K-x. The missing of top LCD can easily be adapted to as the user interface on the screen is activated right after half press. And the rear LCD almost makes it painless in the shooting without the top LCD. Pentax did a great job on the user interface on the LCD. Resolution can be improved better though.

You can reference my recent thoughts in Pentax K-x White in Disneyland for reference.

For quick shift focusing, Pentax wants your investment into the DA limited lens. The DA-L won't do it for you. The best combo with the K-x is the Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8. With the DA-L in AF and that your body is in AF, I don't think you can turn the focus ring unless you have set your AF/MF switch to MF. When your switch is on AF, I will recommend not to engage in MF. As Ash mentioned, you are likely to cause harm to your lens and body if you force it

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-06-2010 at 02:45 PM.