Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I think there are less that less than 10% of Pentax DSLR users that use a prime lens, all other users only use AF zoom lenses.
Of those that use prime lenses there are very few that choose between a cheap MF lens or a expensive AF lens. The only reason most choose to buy a MF lens is because they are cheap, but if there was no MF prime lenses available they would probably not buy a much more expensive AF prime lens. They would only keep using the zoom lenses they already have. (Or maybe buy another cheap AF zoom lens)

Even if 5 times as many would start using MF lenses if Pentax improve MF lens handling, it would affect much less that 1% of Pentax total sales in new lenses.
The sales of AF might even rise if more use MF lenses as some want to upgrade to AF later on for easier handling.
I would have to disagree here.

I believe that pentax was saved as a camera manufacturer by the pentax film shooters that have a mixed lens collection of MF and AF lenses who were waiting for a backwards compatible DSLR.

Pentax still remembers the pain of moving from screw mount to K mount in the 1970's.

even thier marketing when the K series DSLRs came out was there are 23million lenses that fit this camera.

They want to offer compatibility to sell bodies, once they establish a population of bodies, they will create a demand for lenses. THey will not sell a single lens, without selling a body.

01-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I would have to disagree here.

I believe that pentax was saved as a camera manufacturer by the pentax film shooters that have a mixed lens collection of MF and AF lenses who were waiting for a backwards compatible DSLR.
That would probably been a large amount of customers 5-6 years ago, but last few years most customers comes from using a P&S even for Pentax.

Things like colors, movie mode, live-view, SR, size, weather sealing, are much more important marketing factors in sales for Pentax today,.
I have not seen Pentax marketing backwards compatibility for a long time, maybe Hoya have made a change in that?
01-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
That would probably been a large amount of customers 5-6 years ago, but last few years most customers comes from using a P&S even for Pentax.

Things like colors, movie mode, live-view, SR, size, weather sealing, are much more important marketing factors in sales for Pentax today,.
I have not seen Pentax marketing backwards compatibility for a long time, maybe Hoya have made a change in that?
It would be worth a poll. but the nature of the forum would probably skew the numbers, I am willing to bet that more than 50% of the poll responders would say they use legacy lenses.

I might also be willing to bet that many first time SLR users are going back in time.

the poll questions would

1) be do you use legacy lenses, specifically M mount and M42 mount (i.e. with manual aperture)

2) did you get your first Manual Aperture lens before or after your first DSLR

3) are you an AF only user, and considering getting manual focus and / or manual aperture lenses in the future
01-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The problem is that users on this type of forum is the most active users. Probably 90% of the users on pentaxforums.com are part of the 10% most active users.
Those 90% of Pentax users only using AF zoom lenses don't spend much time discussing photo equipment on internet.

The original question was if cameras with better support of manual lenses would affect Pentax sale in AF lenses.

01-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #20
Pentaxian

you could argue the issue both ways

In my view better support for MF and Manual aperture lenses would aid sales, because it would help increase the population of camera bodies, and everyone will ultimately sugger from LBA and buy some new lenses. Logic says some of those will be pentax lenses. So yes pentax gets more sales of new lenses by making older lenses more user friendly. This does not account at all for the psychology that their long term support suggests that what a user buys today will be useable tomorrow, unlike some nikon buyers who find that the cheapest models can only use the latest lenses (oops) or canon buyers that have been totally abandoned twice with obsolete mounts (double oops)

The other view is that people that buy pentax are people who look at price and performance and buy pentax because for the performance vs $ it is hard to get better featured cameras elsewhere. The same is also true to a large extent with pentax lenses, and therefore these buyers would buy new DA lenses etc, BUT since these buyers are somewhat camera savvy to start with, the easier it is to use old glass, the more likely they are to buy it and use it as opposed to new glass.

in the end I am not sure which view is correct.