Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
But, I thought the K-x has the green button?
It does, and it can be used to do the momentary stop down metering thing just like the K200D. *Or* you can have it do DOF preview - a custom option controls which. I said you can't have green button metering and DOF preview (the only way to get a "live" meter reading) *simultaneously* - you have to assign the Green button to do one or the other. Although someone once posted that you could potentially assign a different button till to do one function or the other - but even if so, it seems you would you give up whatever else that button did. Someone might want to clarify this - maybe it isn't as big a concern as I thought.

But in any case, as I said, these operations involve a mirror flip and are thus slower and louder than they are on the K200D. Not a deal breaker for most people, but folks who use manual lenses a lot - especially if they rely on DOF preview for the live meter as I do - will find it a step backwards.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 01-22-2010 at 01:25 PM.
01-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slow2focus Quote
No, K-X has the green button next to the exp comp button on top right behind the shutter. if you get on dpreview i am sure they would have a picture of the k-x in the recent review of the camera
Yes, DP Review shows that there is a green button but according to them:

Green button

Something of a Pentax tradition, the green button re-sets the exposure back to the chosen program line. In manual exposure mode, for instance, it's a way of jumping straight to the metered exposure, allowing you to react more quickly if you need a sudden change in exposure.

On the K-x the green button can be customized to trigger the following functions:
- Custom image
- Optical preview
- Digital preview
- Digital filter
- RAW button
- Center AF point

It's not clear to me that pressing the green button sets the exposure for a MF lens. I've put in bold the part about Manual Exposure but not clear what one does for a MF lens w/o "A" contacts
01-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marc and those who have the K-x:
I have the k200d and am contemplating selling it to get the K-x 2 lens deal.
But, I thought the K-x has the green button? How does one meter with an M42 or MF lens without it?
The other items mentioned:
top LCD, focus point indicator, wired remote port and DOF preview I might be able to live w/o but no green button metering, hmm....
Just tested this with a K-x and M28/F3.5. The camera has the following settings:

permit use of the aperture ring
green button =Optical Preview (DOF Preview)
M exposure mode

I can take a picture by:
  1. setting aperture via the aperture ring
  2. focus by turning the focus ring and waiting for the green hex
  3. press and hold the green button. the viewfinder displays how far over/underexposed the scene is
  4. use the e-dial to adjust the shutter speed until desired exposure is set (aperture may need to be adjusted as well
  5. release the green button
  6. press the shutter

Interestingly, if you are using a tripod and need critical focus, you can turn on Live View and zoom in up to 10x magnification (via the Info button), pan to the subject, and get ultra-sharp focus - probably better than you could with a split prism or microprism focusing screen. It's probably even better than AF since you are not limited to 11 focusing points. That's pretty cool.

Also, while in Live View, I pressed the +/- Exposure Comp button next to the green button and it set the recommended shutter speed. That's pretty cool too. So with the way my camera is set up, using a M lens and Live View is as follows:
  1. turn on Live View
  2. set aperture via the aperture ring
  3. focus with focus ring*
  4. press +/- button to set shutter speed. adjust as desired
  5. press shutter

* Optional - use the Info button and four-way buttons to zoom in up to 10x and pan to subject.

Wow, I just realized that the K-x makes a killer macro camera with Live View! And it probably has no equal with low-light macro photography, if such a beast exists!
01-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #34
Forum Member

It's not clear to me that pressing the green button sets the exposure for a MF lens. I've put in bold the part about Manual Exposure but not clear what one does for a MF lens w/o "A" contacts
It does. That is how I "cheat" since I have no idea when to set what being from the P&S world.

All my manual lenses are M42 ones with zero contacts. They all work the same with the green button (exp comp does the same thing btw) sets the exposure when pressed. So, you focus wide open, step down to the F number you want to shoot at, press green button take a shot. check histogram adjust shutter speed by your taste. repeat.

The green button as marc has explained, in k-x, will take on other functions if you assign them. but, you loos the "greeness". But, like I said before, in M mode, exp comp serves the same function. So, you can (and I do) set the green button to do something else and retain setting of shutter speed based on current condition with a button press in M mode.

01-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My vote is on the Kx w/ 2 kit lens.. 55-300mm
01-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #36
Inactive Account

The popular opinion is for the KX for sure. One thing I have noticed about it is that there is a large number of people reporting problems with it. Of course not as many purchased the K2000 so it's numbers would be less for sure. However it has turned me off buying a KX right now and will wait till the end of the year to buy a FF Canon. Even though it's not in the same league, I just want a larger sensor camera now.
William
01-22-2010, 11:01 PM   #37

Seems we do things a little diferently in Oz....

Since Christmas our local camera shop has had the KM at $100.00 more than the KX, body only. $789.00 and $689.00 - Plus a few "freebies" with the KM.

With basic kit Sigma 18-50 lens, the KM is still $789.00 (US$710.00) - same as body-only.

With basic Pentax 18-55 lens, the KX is $739.00. (US$680.00) $50.00 less than the KM with the Sigma.

We don't get the KX with the Pentax 55-300 - you buy that lens separately for $670.00 - that's approx US$620.00.

So I'll be doing a KX with the kit Pentax 18-55 & 50-200mm for $849.00 (US$780.00)

Then, as I'm on disability and income is a bit limited - a few more weeks of saving for a Sigma 70-300 DG APO - which seems about best bang-for-bucks at $309.00 (US$285.00)

What I'm actually trying to do - obviously for hobby-only purposes - as I won't be able to afford "proper" longer lenses, is equal or bit-better the "reach" of my Canon SX10 IS (which I love dearly - it's taught me a lot!) - for birding, wildlife, and Sydney Harbour and Coastal scenes with tripod.

The SX10 is approx 560mm equiv, the 70-300 on the KX body gives about 450mm equiv - and even with that lower-cost lens, somewhat better IQ than the SX10.

Trying for a more reach on a tight budget - can I use a Kenko Pro 1.4x TC with the 70-300 DG APO? I understand that some TCs don't work with some lenses. But "in theory" - on KX body with a 1.4x TC - that lens would be approx 630mm equiv.

This is obviously "not" going to give "gallery show" quality images - even using a tripod. That isn't the intention - I just want better IQ than the SX10 at about their 500-550mm equivs.

I don't print-out images (too expensive for me) - they go onto CDs-etc to give to friends - and get converted into DVD-Slideshows. So for those purposes, as the images aren't used at full-size anyway - I might be able to "get away with" the above plan....

Or somebody might be able to tell me a better way to do it - at a similar price....? Any such advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Dave.